Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I still have the original oil with only about 2400 miles on my ’08 CR-V. I have not switched over to synthetics to allow the break in oil to do its thing per recommendations in the OM page 214. Somewhat concerned with the cold weather we have been having, I took a quart of Honda’s 5W20 and put it in my freezer. I understand this is the very same oil that is supposedly put in the engine during assembly. Along with break in additives that may or may not change the pour point. I do not have any information on additives.

So here is the good news. Even at -40 F (the set temperature of the freezer) the Honda 5W20 still pours! It is actually rather fluid so the pour point is considerably lower than -40 F. So it seems even at -30 F there would be adequate protection from having the oil turn into a semi solid. Or similar to refrigerated margarine that would not circulate in the engine well when cold starting. So unless the temperatures drop below -30 F there is at least a 10 degrees margin.

For comparison, Mobil Clean 5000 5W20 has a pour point of -38 F. The 5W30 on the other hand is higher at -27 F. Other 5W20 oils could be higher or lower. Mobil1 100% synthetic has a -53 F pour point.

-RG

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, brain dead. Not enough sleep. A slight dislexia...

The fridge is +40F, the freezer is set to -4F. I will redo the test as low as it goes. It will have to soak overnight to bottom out as low as it can go.

No wonder it was so thin! DUH! :eek:

-RG

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,559 Posts
You have a freezer that goes to -40F???? ;)
Careful! Your lips will stick to the frosty mug when you drink your beer!

;)

PS I volunteer to do hot weather testing...just send me to a tropical island. Please! :D

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Right, we both can go. I get the window seat. :)
:eek: Another deep freeze coming up soon toward the end of the week.
BRRRRRRR!

Preliminary testing indicates at near -10F the Honda 5W20 is starting to jell up. Not a good thing for northerners! Fortunately we only had one night at -12F in southern NH. It did get close to -40 near the Canadian border but not here.

Can you say scra a a a a a ape! What the heck do our friend up near Sasquatch Canada do? Get new short blocks or heads every few years if they follow the Honda oil requirement specs? Not everyone believes in Synthetics and even then the Mobil1 pour point is -53F. For all practical purposes that is only good to -35F in order to have some safety margin for unussualy cold snaps.

-Rg

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I would hope that our Canadian friends (and other REAL cold weather owners) would have a dealer installed block heater to help in these situations. I had a diesel vehicle in the mid 80's and the block heater saved me on many days when the temps dipped well below -20F.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Right BadgerLand. A garage is even better.

The point I unsuccessfully was trying to make is that the one oil weight called out in the OM will meet every situation everywhere is not 100% bullet proof or inclusive. There are are areas on the edges of the bell curve where it is best to take additional or slightly varying actions.

Seems to me that 0W20 synthetic instead of 5W20 dyno oil would give you much better protection. With out having to plug your V into anything.

What if you are a glutton for punishment and like to go wilderness winter camping? Where do you plug it in then? :D

-RG

·
Registered
22 Posts
On cold starts, synthetic oil moves into the engine valves, cylinder and piston 7 times faster that conventional oil. Synthetics will move into those areas within 1 second of start even without plugging in a block heater.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts