Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all. I just picked up my CR-V last Saturday, and a few days ago I had something really weird happen to me.

There is an intersection in my town where a large (huge) metal plate is in the road, and has been for some time. Not sure why, but assume it's covering up some hole or something in the road. It's right before a stop light at a major intersection.

Sunday, I was driving over this plate, and the brake system went off, the car slammed on the brakes, the orange "Brake" icon appeared on the screen and it almost caused an accident when the car behind me didn't understand why I stopped.

I'll admit, I was pretty shaken up over it. WTF? (That's exactly what I said.)

So I turned the system off, but the next time I started the car it re-engaged. Evidently you have to turn it off every time you drive? Well, I have to go back to the dealer this week and I;ll ask about that, but again WTF? I thought the camera was supposed to recognize a Hazard, not something on the road. Do you think it's a malfunction?

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I think I would try it again and see if it thinks the plate is a car or other large object. Question: Did the automatic braking actually stop you before the plate in the road or not?

You seem to indicate it happened while you were over the plate. So far all I have seen is the Brake warning come on but no auto brakes unless I have ACC on and it is following a slowing car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, I misspoke, I was ALMOST to the plate in the road when the braking system went off and the car came to a complete stop. I wasn't going that fast though, as I was approaching the intersection and the light had just turned green.

I went by there today, and luckily no one was in the other lane, so I just veered over into the other lane to avoid it. Next time I go through there, I will try it again to see if I can just accelerate instead of stopping.

What a learning curve with this vehicle. I've been driving for 45 years and the old habits are hard to break/brake!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
That is scary. I drove mine this past week on a long drive 700+ miles and occasionally I had the brake warning show up on my dash on the highway. It didn't have anything to brake for and didn't end up getting triggered, but pretty freaky that it would think it needed to brake.

Glad you are alright!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would try to avoid these hazards, many car companies having issues detecting these things--Look at Toyota--http://www.carcomplaints.com/news/2015/toyota-recalls-cars-brake-on-their-own.shtml . I still think the software is to buggy to tell the difference. I've had a couple instances where the V hits hard on the brakes in traffic and JA's not staying in their lanes.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I recall when I was at General Motors doing training in safety systems. We had the data to show how many lives could be saved by these yet people would come to class and tell us how much they hated these systems and wanted to disarm them. They made every attempt to rationalize their point of view but the data was overwhelming in showing that thousands of lives could be saved and massive amounts of injuries could be prevented by these systems. The same goes for the collision mitigation systems. The data does not lie, they save lives and reduce injuries. The NTSB has spent years on research on these and the results are irrefutable if you look at the numbers. That said the research also points out that no system is perfect. There are those times when you can get a false positive and the car can slow down when it might not need to. The research showed that but also showed that the positives far outweighed the negatives.

I have been driving my new CR-V with these systems for six months and thousands of miles now. I can honestly say I feel less safe in a vehicle without them and would never again buy a vehicle that did not have these systems. There have been quite a few times when the systems helped to avoid a problem, everything from a car cutting in front of us, cars pulling out in front of us, even a spaced out college student stepping right out in front of us oblivious to the outside world while he listened to music on his headset and looked at his cell phone screen.

I can live with a rare false positive as the price for using a computer driven system to help keep me safe from the actions of others or even my own temporary inattentiveness. I find the systems to be a great aid...not to take the place of me being a good alert driver but to aid me in avoiding accidents for whatever reason.

There is a wealth of good reading out there on this with some of the data used by the NTSB. This is one document. Its long but one can skip through and see why they recommended these systems. The numbers just don't lie.

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SIR1501.pdf

·
Registered
973 Posts
I recall when I was at General Motors doing training in safety systems. We had the data to show how many lives could be saved by these yet people would come to class and tell us how much they hated these systems and wanted to disarm them. They made every attempt to rationalize their point of view but the data was overwhelming in showing that thousands of lives could be saved and massive amounts of injuries could be prevented by these systems. The same goes for the collision mitigation systems. The data does not lie, they save lives and reduce injuries. The NTSB has spent years on research on these and the results are irrefutable if you look at the numbers. That said the research also points out that no system is perfect. There are those times when you can get a false positive and the car can slow down when it might not need to. The research showed that but also showed that the positives far outweighed the negatives.

I have been driving my new CR-V with these systems for six months and thousands of miles now. I can honestly say I feel less safe in a vehicle without them and would never again buy a vehicle that did not have these systems. There have been quite a few times when the systems helped to avoid a problem, everything from a car cutting in front of us, cars pulling out in front of us, even a spaced out college student stepping right out in front of us oblivious to the outside world while he listened to music on his headset and looked at his cell phone screen.

I can live with a rare false positive as the price for using a computer driven system to help keep me safe from the actions of others or even my own temporary inattentiveness. I find the systems to be a great aid...not to take the place of me being a good alert driver but to aid me in avoiding accidents for whatever reason.

There is a wealth of good reading out there on this with some of the data used by the NTSB. This is one document. Its long but one can skip through and see why they recommended these systems. The numbers just don't lie.

https://www.ntsb.gov/safety/safety-studies/Documents/SIR1501.pdf
True dat and it'll keep getting better over time.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Agreed.

Keep in mind that this system can be overridden with accelerator pedal input. And, as noted above, it flashes a warning "Brake" sign before it takes over. Therefore, it's advisable to hover over the accelerator pedal when you see a false positive warning "Brake" sign and be ready to override if needed.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
FYI, this was a tricky "edge case". The radar picked up a large metallic object (the steel plate), and then it's up to the camera to figure out if it's a horizontal object (which you just drive over) or a vertical one (which you need to not hit.) When all you have is a 2-D camera, this is not an easy problem to solve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Try applying the break right before the car detects the road metal plate. It should disengage the automatic collision system.

I had the same thing happen to me in my accord 2016 when I was exiting the highway and forgot to put my right turn light on to exit. My car thought I was departing my lane and them immediately braked (super hard mind you).

·
Registered
101 Posts
All of you are luckier than I am. My 2017 CR-V has the CMBS, but it doesn't work. When a collision is (almost) imminent, I get the "BRAKE" warning, but never any braking. The dealer claims it is working, but when the tech and I try it, it never tries to brake the car. They still claim it works. I've written Honda, but no response. Lucky you - I hope I never need it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
All of you are luckier than I am. My 2017 CR-V has the CMBS, but it doesn't work. When a collision is (almost) imminent, I get the "BRAKE" warning, but never any braking. The dealer claims it is working, but when the tech and I try it, it never tries to brake the car. They still claim it works. I've written Honda, but no response. Lucky you - I hope I never need it.
I would verify that the ACC will stop you automatically. At least you then know the camera and auto braking can function together. It may be something like touching the brake or accelerator disables the emergency function. So far I have only seen the Brake Warning a couple of times but with no braking. It's difficult to believe the accelerator should disable it because you are almost always on it when you would need the emergency braking. It would be interesting to know definitively what does disable emergency braking.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Did you read the manual?

It's called Collision MITIGATION (reduce severity of), not PREVENTION/AVOIDANCE. The manual explicitly states (unless I misread) that the autonomous emergency braking is ONLY supposed to activate when it determines a collision is UNAVOIDABLE in an effort to MITIGATE (reduce severity). The only time the braking should activate is when you are going to hit something, unless either conditions out of your control change (e.g. car ahead of you speeds up, moves out of the way) or the computer made an error in calculations.

It's a stupid way for the system to work. The autonomous braking in all the FCA vehicles I owned would brake well ahead of a collision and would try to avoid it completely, if you had it set to do so... granted, that produces more false positives and pisses off drivers who can't stand these systems to begin with.

I also will add the warning itself is GARBAGE. The warning tone is not loud at all, it is not very alerting (it's a soft beep), and it doesn't mute the radio - what idiot thought of that at Honda? They need fired.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I would guess the system Honda uses is as capable as others that advertise complete stops. If I were a manufacturer I would document as Honda does so as to encourage drivers to stay aware and to avoid lawsuits because no system can react fast enough in every instance of a stupid driver in the other car.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi all. I just picked up my CR-V last Saturday, and a few days ago I had something really weird happen to me.

There is an intersection in my town where a large (huge) metal plate is in the road, and has been for some time. Not sure why, but assume it's covering up some hole or something in the road. It's right before a stop light at a major intersection.

Sunday, I was driving over this plate, and the brake system went off, the car slammed on the brakes, the orange "Brake" icon appeared on the screen and it almost caused an accident when the car behind me didn't understand why I stopped.

I'll admit, I was pretty shaken up over it. WTF? (That's exactly what I said.)

So I turned the system off, but the next time I started the car it re-engaged. Evidently you have to turn it off every time you drive? Well, I have to go back to the dealer this week and I;ll ask about that, but again WTF? I thought the camera was supposed to recognize a Hazard, not something on the road. Do you think it's a malfunction?

Thanks.
I just had a similar think happen to me on the way home from a client late this afternoon. I was driving down a 2 lane road about 40 MPH and there is a railroad crossing the goes sideways across the road at a 45 degree angle with permanent metal plates between the rails. I've driving across them 3 other times without incident but today it set off the Collision Mitigation System. It applied the brakes for just a second or two and didn't stop the car, but scarred me. I did find that hitting the accelerator seemed to stop override it from continuing breaking.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Agreed.

Keep in mind that this system can be overridden with accelerator pedal input. And, as noted above, it flashes a warning "Brake" sign before it takes over. Therefore, it's advisable to hover over the accelerator pedal when you see a false positive warning "Brake" sign and be ready to override if needed.
Exactly, and I have adapted to doing that so that it comes naturally now. I also find I get a flashing light warning more than anything. And as for a metal plate in the road...I don't want to hit one of those things too fast anyway! ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Jan. 29, 2017 - 2017 CRV....very similar problem...vehicle just slammed on the breaks while traversing an intersection. This was the second time the system locked up the breaks for no reason. (Can't imagine doing 70 on an interstate and the breaks locking up) : (
Contacted my dealer and they sent a tow truck to pick it up so they can check it out.
I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
372 Posts
better bring your car to the dealer and have it checked....

i think i have the same scenario, they are doing some road work just before an intersection to a main street. The Steel plate is covering both the left and right side of the road, and there is one big steel equipment on the side of the road. No problem at my end going out to the main street or coming in from the main street.

just my thoughts... make sure there is no abstractions of any kind on your windshield and center front grill to deflect/confuse the censor's radar.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Copy from our manual, Page 532.
Untitled.jpg

1 - 20 of 39 Posts