Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my wife just got a 2019 CR-V so I decided to join these forums.
For more than thirty years I have been a collision repair technician. I have ASE certification in four levels of collision repair and platinum status for structural and non-structural with I-CAR.
I would be more than glad to help out in this section of the forums. Do note, I am a technician and not an estimator. I can't price anything, but I can either tell you how to perform the repair or how the repair should be done. Feel free to tag me when you have questions.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I can't price anything, but I can either tell you how to perform the repair or how the repair should be done. Feel free to tag me when you have questions.
@K-Dog7469 With our insurance costs outrageous here in Michigan, a lot of us don't bother getting our cars repaired. I just "paid off" an Acura that drowned five years ago--our insurance rates remained inflated for five years after that happened, and that was with a different insurance company. (Our crooked insurance carriers are able to do this under the current insurance law; a "reform bill" was passed, but most of us know that nothing will change.)

Anyway, I need to get our blue '09 fixed in the rear, but might have to do it out-of-pocket, or face an extra $75/month (or more) for another five years. If it were just cosmetic, I would be replacing the bumper cover and two plastic body-colored side pieces (one is scratched) and the lower tailgate garnish. The only bad thing is, the tailgate is slightly out of alignment, since it "grabs" a little when unlatching. The worst part, though, is the car that backed into the CR-V hit the tie-down hook that is welded to the spare tire tub hard enough to wrinkle it, pushing the spare tire up a few inches.

I thought about finding a way to pull on that hook to work the kink out of it, but I'm afraid I'll need to take it to a shop for them to use hydraulics (or whatever) to straighten it. Then the seams need to be sealed again, since a little water is getting in. None of the paint on the body will need to be redone, provided I can find a tailgate garnish at a salvage yard that someone will sell to me (many want to sell the entire tailgate). I can order a new one, but it's hundreds of dollars. I don't trust aftermarket bumper covers either, but may have no choice.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I am not sure what information you are seeking there. Tailgate alignments can be easy or a very involved task, depending on who the villain is. The gate or the rear body panel. Since there is damage to both, it really could be either.

If the spare well is up "a few inches" it is most likely the floor will need to be replaced. ( if it is your intention to do the repair correctly) This would be no DIY job.

Yes, I would avoid aftermarket at all costs.
Can you post a few pictures of the damage?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
If the spare well is up "a few inches" it is most likely the floor will need to be replaced. ( if it is your intention to do the repair correctly) This would be no DIY job.
The tire came up a few inches, but the wrinkles really are only in the spare tire well towards the back--not that severe to where the floor would need replacing. (The wrinkle prevents the tire from dropping back down into the well.) I'm thinking a good body shop could probably pull/hammer it out, and we do have a trusted body shop just up the road that our families have used for decades. Everything else underneath looks OK, although I did not yet take measurements. (I have two '09s, so I can compare the two.) If I can get outdoors before the monsoons hit tomorrow, I'll see if I can grab a photo or two of it. The rest of the floor is fine, and even the bumper supports seem OK.

The tailgate alignment could be either, correct. The first time it was rear-ended, it was only enough to dent the tailgate garnish and scuff the bumper, and popped some clips loose. The second time was a hit and run in a parking lot. Scuffed up the tailgate garnish and bumper cover, but whichever vehicle did this must have been lower to the ground since they caught the tie-down hook for the spare tire well. Just comparing it by eye to the other '09, it seems to be pushed in maybe an inch or so.

I'm just trying to gauge how much damage is there before taking it in for an estimate. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The tire came up a few inches, but the wrinkles really are only in the spare tire well towards the back--not that severe to where the floor would need replacing. (The wrinkle prevents the tire from dropping back down into the well.) I'm thinking a good body shop could probably pull/hammer it out, and we do have a trusted body shop just up the road that our families have used for decades.
Well, there is a right way and a wrong way to repair today's cars.
A recent court decision in Texas ( Google John Eagle Collision ) found the shop and the technician liable to the tune of $31m for an incorrect repair.
The objective should be to return the vehicle to pre-accident condition. The vehicle should be identical in not only appearance and corrosion protection but in the way, it is intended to act in a subsequent collision. A floor wrinkled beyond a certain point may or may not react correctly in a collision, putting the occupants at risk.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
It's a bit late to reply, but, this is the extent of the damage. When it decides to get warm in a few months here, I can post more photos.

It's only the spare tire well that is affected here. The tie-down loop (top) is mostly what they hit, as they went under the bumper. The lower part of the bumper cover is slightly inward as well.

Highlights:

Yellow area is buckled up into the tire well. The blue area is one of the bigger wrinkles.

I don't think it should take much to correct it--this would have been at the speed of someone backing out.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! I actually have a question! Looking at a new CR-V that is perfect aside from a small ding at the very front of the hood. I looked under the hood, and the way it is welded, you can't just push it back. I'm going to use it as a bargaining chip but i'm wondering how difficult it would be to fix. Obviously you can't do a quote but im wondering if you would think it woudl be expensive or not.
I took a quick picture at the dealer, not the best but you get the idea. I'd say about 3".

20200208_143644.jpg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts