Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive a 2106 Honda touring crv. We are taking a road trip to Disneyland from Portland Oregon (about 15hrs) We will have 4 adults riding all together. Each will have a suitcase and one other bag. Total 4 Suitcases and 4 smaller bags. We usually travel down with a flat of bottle water and a case or 2 of pop and a grocery sack full of snacks for on the road. Will my crv be able to meet the challenge of a relatively comfortable ride for all? What are your opinions?

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as riding comfort..of course.
What will determine its "overall" capability is whether or not the cargo area will hold what you listed in your post. I believe it will, as long as your friends have relatively medium-sized suitcases, and not some kind of huge ones people travel around the world with.

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Personally I find the 4th gen CRV's ride a bit too busy and harsh with road noise for a long road trips. It is great for around town and short trips. The 2017 CRV is more civilized. I have a 2014 and wife has 2017.

But what a lot of people do is simply rent a larger more comfortable vehicle for the occasional long haul trips. For a couple hundred dollars a week its a deal, everybody arrives happy and you don't run up the mileage on your everyday driver. In addition should the vehicle break down or involved in an accident you simply call the rental company and they bring you another vehicle and you drive away...

·
Registered
783 Posts
I think the CRV is a comfortable highway cruiser with abundant rear seat and cargo room.

But you may want to take a look at the placard in the driver's door jamb: the CRV's passengers + cargo load limit is a measly 850 pounds (in my 2015 AWD at least). Depending on the size of your passengers and cargo weight you could get close to or go over this limit. Maybe a small excess doesn't matter, but Honda provides this information for a reason.

·
Banned
806 Posts
I did a 12 hour road trip with 3 adults back in February and it was fine. My wife even folded down a section of the rear seat and was able to lay down on one of my backpacking pads. She has a really bad back and did just fine. If everybody has a smaller suit case, or combines a couple of them it should be fine. We had one large suitcase, (airline max size) a couple of back packs and snacks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the past we have rented a mini van to make the drive. This year we hadn't planned on taking this trip... things came together to make it happen but on a budget. When we plan a year ahead we save up money for a rental. SO to save money on a rental we are opting to drive my crv. We divide the trip into 2 days 9 hrs. & 6hrs. I am considering sending an Amazon pantry package to our hotel with the water, soda and our weeks worth of snacks to save on cargo space. All our suitcase are the smaller ones that if we were to fly would qualify for a carry on. I think one suitcase may be a bit larger. I think our biggest hurdle is what we are all use to, a mini van, and will have to adjust our comfort level for budge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A rental mini van is actually $800.00. Those traveling are my husband, and 2 young adult children. My kids are paying for their part of hotel and Disney tickets and food. To make the trip affordable for them as well as their dad and myself we agreed to drive down in my crv. With a rental I would be the only able to drive it. Hubby could but he tends to fall asleep behind the wheel and my kids are under the allowed age to drive a rental. So the crv is our option or not go at all.

·
Banned
806 Posts
A rental mini van is actually $800.00. Those traveling are my husband, and 2 young adult children. My kids are paying for their part of hotel and Disney tickets and food. To make the trip affordable for them as well as their dad and myself we agreed to drive down in my crv. With a rental I would be the only able to drive it. Hubby could but he tends to fall asleep behind the wheel and my kids are under the allowed age to drive a rental. So the crv is our option or not go at all.
I just picked a random week for next month, with a pick up and return at the Portland airport.

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.50.11 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.50.52 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 11.51.32 AM.jpg

Edit: I didn't plug in any discount codes either.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not the same kind of road trip as you, but I had to move from southern to northern Ontario with my 15 EX. Had my mom as a passenger with the entire space behind us packed to the roof with what we could take. Did about 21 hours straight of driving and was still able to walk decently on the other end. That's with the cloth seats.

Don't forget as well that the rear seats can be tilted backwards minimally by the handles on the outside shoulders of the back seats.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just picked a random week for next month, with a pick up and return at the Portland airport.

[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83250&d=1491673985"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83258&d=1491674002"]
[/iurl]

[iurl="http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=83266&d=1491674021"]
[/iurl]

Edit: I didn't plug in any discount codes either.
I've researched it prior to deciding on taking the crv. We need a rental car for 11 days so it would be $630-$690 plus about $135 in taxes and fees. This is for the Summer. So $800+. Not in the budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not the same kind of road trip as you, but I had to move from southern to northern Ontario with my 15 EX. Had my mom as a passenger with the entire space behind us packed to the roof with what we could take. Did about 21 hours straight of driving and was still able to walk decently on the other end. That's with the cloth seats.

Don't forget as well that the rear seats can be tilted backwards minimally by the handles on the outside shoulders of the back seats.
I had no idea the rear seats can be tilted! Good to know! I took a couple Suitcases and put them in the cargo area. I can see that 2 more can fit easily. Plus have room for a few smaller bags. I also sat in the back (never had before) to get a feel for the space. It actually wasn't too bad! I was surprised at how roomie it was. So I think taking the crv is going to work out just fine. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the Adaptive Cruise Control and the Lane Keeping Assist on this trip.

·
Banned
806 Posts
What are your dates? Have you looked at buying an airplane ticket? I picked a random week in July for 11 days and come up with a fare of around $150 per person round trip.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What are your dates? Have you looked at buying an airplane ticket? I picked a random week in July for 11 days and come up with a fare of around $150 per person round trip.
I don't fly. We also like to stop into Sacramento to visit family.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I had no idea the rear seats can be tilted! Good to know! I took a couple Suitcases and put them in the cargo area. I can see that 2 more can fit easily. Plus have room for a few smaller bags. I also sat in the back (never had before) to get a feel for the space. It actually wasn't too bad! I was surprised at how roomie it was. So I think taking the crv is going to work out just fine. I'm looking forward to taking advantage of the Adaptive Cruise Control and the Lane Keeping Assist on this trip.
I stress the minimally part on the tilt, but it's better than nothing. If you really want to maximize space, you can throw malleable items that you won't need while driving around the spare wheel. In the winters I can usually pack a few blankets, trail mix, battery booster, and first aid kit all around the spare wheel compartment in case of emergencies. Obviously the car is not gonna be as good as some larger options if you're cramming luggage, but I don't see why it shouldn't be doable comfort wise.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We've taken ours on 5-6 hour or so trips and it's been great. I think it is an excellent vehicle for road trips.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We've taken ours on 5-6 hour or so trips and it's been great. I think it is an excellent vehicle for road trips.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Good! Our longest leg is 9 hrs. I've put our Suitcases in the back to make sure they fit and they do! Plus some space for a couple totes. I'm making arrangements with the hotel to accept an Amazon delivery on our behalf of our breakfast, snack, soda and bottled water. We usually buy that at Costco and take it with us but it won't fit. We'll take a few snacks and water for on the road. We never buy that stuff in California it is so expensive! I'm looking forward to driving and taking advantage of the Honda sensing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Well we took my crv on a 2000 mile round trip. Over the Syskiyous and Grapevine. That car was awesome to drive! All passengers, 4 adults, fit relatively comfortable. We had 4 large Suitcases, 2 backpacks, two reusable totes and a small soft pack cooler in the back. Even after buying a bunch of Disneyland stuff from coats, shirts, mugs and blankets we still had room! It helped to send a Amazon pantry box ahead with our water, soda and snacks for the week. As far as the ACC and LKAS wow! Are you kidding me?! Love it! If the highway markings were faint the steering was a little loose goosey and would drift. I'd just turn it off until the markings were more pronounced. The cruse control a dream. I set it to the middle distance from me and the car ahead. Worked like a charm. I rarely had to activate my brake therefore deactivating the cruise control. What a fun drive! If you have a road trip in your future go for it!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts