Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Could you tell me common problems with honda CRV 2016 touring model down the road as i plan to buy one.do i have to buy an extended warranty?
Thank you

·
Registered
269 Posts
The fuel tank will eventually become empty and at about 12,000 kilometers you'll need to change the oil.

And the tires will wear out too.

·
Administrator
3,404 Posts
My 16 touring problem is that it’s not being driven these days. I’m getting about seven weeks per tank of gas.

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
147 Posts
My 16 EX-L has thus far been very dependable needing little in the way of ongoing maintenance beyond what Honda recommends. I'm currently working remote due to COVID-19 so it gets driven approximately once a week.

The purchase of an extended warranty is your call but remember to read the fine print as they aren't all created equal. From what I understand the Honda Extended Warranty may be a little more expensive to purchase. Extended Warranties tend to be a high margin item for dealerships so don't accept the first number they offer for the cost.

Here is a link to an article you might find helpful in making a decision:

Extended Warranty Overview

·
Registered
11 Posts
I forgot, mine has a larger battery too.

This seems to be the biggest and most common complaint.
Oh Boy, I didn't realize I could have purchased a larger battery. Mine just went dead sitting in out COVID garage for over a week. Fortunately, I was able to hook up a car battery charger that I haven't used in Years, and it worked to extent that I could start the car. I figured that after 4 years (2016 CRV Touring April 2016) I should get a new battery . I did so at Advance Auto parts. It was the same size battery. 3 year life. I didn't know I could for a larger one. Oh well, too late now. But with close to 40K miles on the clock and after 4 years, most cars need new batteries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Our '16 CRV Touring 2WD has been pretty good. Main complaint is the integrated nav/stereo is awful and there is no good path to rip it out and go with 3rd party/CarPlay. Also we travel a bit and the small fuel tank is annoying. I guess we expected better mileage/range.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello
Could you tell me common problems with honda CRV 2016 touring model down the road as i plan to buy one.do i have to buy an extended warranty?
Thank you
57,ooo----original battery/ tires---- zero problems --- 2 previous Hondas w/ expensive extended warranties $ 40 problem on one and $0.0 on the other ! Extended warranty on a Honda ?? NOOO !

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Oh Boy, I didn't realize I could have purchased a larger battery. Mine just went dead sitting in out COVID garage for over a week. Fortunately, I was able to hook up a car battery charger that I haven't used in Years, and it worked to extent that I could start the car. I figured that after 4 years (2016 CRV Touring April 2016) I should get a new battery . I did so at Advance Auto parts. It was the same size battery. 3 year life. I didn't know I could for a larger one. Oh well, too late now. But with close to 40K miles on the clock and after 4 years, most cars need new batteries.
Honestly... don't sweat it. A larger battery won't buy you that much. A group 24 for example has only about 30% more reserve power than a 51R, and more CCA is a waste on CRVs. It will buy you another week or two of a vehicle sitting idle on it's normal lower power parasitic, but that is about it.

You are much better off peforming monthly maintenance checks (using a low cost home battery tester) on your battery and giving it a good overnight saturation charge from a smart charger/maintainer once or twice a month. Also.. pop the square lids off once or twice a year and check electrolyte levels (flooded cell batteries are NOT maintenance free) and if you see the levels low, add a small amount of distilled water to bring them back up to level. That would be a better place to invest the money and attention in my view.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't see any issue with stock battery size. I agree with comment above about the head unit. There is no pain-free path to replacement. Ironically, it is much easier in a lower trim level like an LX. The idle speed is set too low and I get vibration at stop lights if there is no load on the engine. I did have to get the TSB done to replace the one hose (forget what it is called) that was causing the gas smell in the cabin. Otherwise, zero issues.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Honestly... don't sweat it. A larger battery won't buy you that much. A group 24 for example has only about 30% more reserve power than a 51R, and more CCA is a waste on CRVs. It will buy you another week or two of a vehicle sitting idle on it's normal lower power parasitic, but that is about it.

You are much better off peforming monthly maintenance checks (using a low cost home battery tester) on your battery and giving it a good overnight saturation charge from a smart charger/maintainer once or twice a month. Also.. pop the square lids off once or twice a year and check electrolyte levels (flooded cell batteries are NOT maintenance free) and if you see the levels low, add a small amount of distilled water to bring them back up to level. That would be a better place to invest the money and attention in my view.
That depends on what you want and how you drive. If we drive our CRV everyday, it is not an issue. But if we leave it idle for a week, it will not start after without recharging the battery or a boost. The bigger AGM battery solved all our issues. We can go on a 2 weeks vacation and the CRV still starts up fine after we came back. I can listen to the radio with the engine off while cleaning up/detailing the CRV, for 2 hours and still fine. The oem battery would die after an hour of radio. Kids left the interior lights on and it drained the oem battery overnight. The bigger battery actually lasted with the interior lights on over night when we went camping and still started the CRV. That alone made it all worth it when you are out in the woods.

·
Registered
272 Posts
That depends on what you want and how you drive. If we drive our CRV everyday, it is not an issue. But if we leave it idle for a week, it will not start after without recharging the battery or a boost. The bigger AGM battery solved all our issues. We can go on a 2 weeks vacation and the CRV still starts up fine after we came back. I can listen to the radio with the engine off while cleaning up/detailing the CRV, for 2 hours and still fine. The oem battery would die after an hour of radio. Kids left the interior lights on and it drained the oem battery overnight. The bigger battery actually lasted with the interior lights on over night when we went camping and still started the CRV. That alone made it all worth it when you are out in the woods.

Something not right there. Sounds like your original battery was bad. My CRV with OEM battery can sit for many weeks and start without any problem.

·
Registered
2,710 Posts
Then you had something wrong with your vehicle or more likely the battery.

A stock OEM battery will last 30-35 days with the vehicle sitting idle, on a fully charged battery. Since most Honda's park at something less than 100% charge, assume one week less on sitting idle. And in accessory mode, you should be able to run cabin electronics such as radio, etc. for 7-8 hours and still start the vehicle. A 51R has a reserve capacity of 75minutes @ 25 amp drain, and in accessory mode, your typical current draw is 3-4 amps.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello
Thank you
Our 2016 CRV has been good overall, but we had one major issue. The water pump seized, which caused the serpentine belt to break and made the car undrivable. Honda covered the water pump but not the belt, stating that it is a wear item. Cause and effect? On a very positive note, they had the car repaired the following day. After providing some documentation, and two months later, Honda reimbursed me for towing. In the future, I will call Honda for towing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Then you had something wrong with your vehicle or more likely the battery.

A stock OEM battery will last 30-35 days with the vehicle sitting idle, on a fully charged battery. Since most Honda's park at something less than 100% charge, assume one week less on sitting idle. And in accessory mode, you should be able to run cabin electronics such as radio, etc. for 7-8 hours and still start the vehicle. A 51R has a reserve capacity of 75minutes @ 25 amp drain, and in accessory mode, your typical current draw is 3-4 amps.
That might be in a perfect world. But when the wife only drive it short distances, likes to play music when waiting for the kids sports practices, then calls you at work when it is -40c outside and the car won't start because the battery is just a little weak. I want the biggest battery with highest CCA and reserve capacity I can get. :cool:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts