Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a 2001 Honda CR-V. I know nothing about them, so I come here to fire my questions and tell my story. It has been running great the last month or so. I took it in to my local Honda dealer for a little bit of an idle flutter, they call and tell me that all cylinders are great, but #4, the compression tested it around 120 all others are 170+. A day later my check engine light pops up, I head to our local automotive store to run the code, it comes back with a misfire coming from cylinder #4. I replaced all spark plugs in the parking lot and the wire appeared to be brand new (there was a tiny bit of oil on the #4 spark plug), reset the computer by removing the battery cable and took it for a spin. The CR-V was running great, until about 20 minutes into the drive when the light popped on again. The vehicle has 148,xxx miles on it, I feel like that's a low amount of miles to be having these issues, from what I am seeing people are getting 250k+ out of these suvs. I did purchase this vehicle for $1,000 is it worth trying to fix, sell, or drive it until the wheels fall off, is it safe to keep driving it while having these issues? The dealership told me the cost to fix it depends on a few things obviously, but could range from $800 to $2,600. I do appreciate everyone's time and thoughts. Any help or past experiences is very appreciated.

Thank you!

Robert

·
Registered
901 Posts
Whether or not it's worth repairing is hard to say. But it sounds like you may have piston rings that are "stuck" because of carbon or sludge. I suggest you Google "piston ring soak": this involves pouring a solvent like Kreen into a cylinder via the spark plug hole and letting it soak overnight. In some cases, this can be enough to free the rings and solve the problem.

It's cheap and pretty safe. Just be sure to crank the engine over to expel any remaining solvent before replacing the plugs and change the engine oil. And expect a goodly amount of white smoke for a minute or two after start up. No guarantees, but may be worth a shot. Good,luck!

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
13,968 Posts
Yes

You could burn a valve, and require a valve job.

Get the valves adjusted ASAP, and check the clearances every 30K miles after that on the B20 engine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.