Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter September's CR-V of the month Challenge HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2014 CR-V
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought my first CRV-EX (2014 AWD Automatic). Getting a little confused with different "drive times" while towing the car that I've found on the web. Most say Honda recommends not towing for over 300 miles at a time. If so, then at a stop, go through the P-N-D-2-1 drill, and then you're good for another 300 miles. Other articles state that Honda says 8 hours is the limit. Checked my manual and it states the 8 hour maximum routine with the instructions to remove the 7.5 A accessory fuse while towing. I think I will choose what my manual states.
Any ideas why so many articles/comments are stating Honda says 300 miles? I’d be interested to hear what some of you that tow are doing. Thanks in advance for any comments.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,574 Posts
Welcome to the CRVOC forum. Many great folks from around the globe here.

A couple of suggestions for you.

1.] Click on your avatar in the upper right hand corner, --> Vehicle Information. Go there, complete the particulars for your vehicle, then hit Save. In this manner, that information will automatically appear when you post. That gives vital information to any who want to help you with your concerns.

2.] Next to your avatar are 3 dots. Click on these, --> Advanced Search. Complete all the particulars about your concern, then hit Search. You will find real world examples of folks who have / had the same concerns about which you have posted.

As with any forum of this type, be sure to completely investigate the many different responses to your search. Don't cherry pick a response that validates any preconceived notion. An individual anecdote, either good or bad, does not represent the entirety of this vehicle. Perform due diligence before committing yourself to any plan. The adage "about an ounce of prevention ..." applies to many different situations. I would hate for you to have you go through the cost of, and time spent waiting for, either a transmission rebuild or a new transmission.

Best of luck. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
2008 EX-L w/Nav (70000 mls)
69 Posts
Just bought my first CRV-EX (2014 AWD Automatic). Getting a little confused with different "drive times" while towing the car that I've found on the web. Most say Honda recommends not towing for over 300 miles at a time. If so, then at a stop, go through the P-N-D-2-1 drill, and then you're good for another 300 miles. Other articles state that Honda says 8 hours is the limit. Checked my manual and it states the 8 hour maximum routine with the instructions to remove the 7.5 A accessory fuse while towing. I think I will choose what my manual states.
Any ideas why so many articles/comments are stating Honda says 300 miles? I’d be interested to hear what some of you that tow are doing. Thanks in advance for any comments.
Interesting post. Didn't know at all about this.

Do you know what's the purpose of the P-N-D-2-1 drill?
What happens if you don't do it?

I can't drive 300 miles or 8 hours without a break anyways. Would a stop and go break help?
Does it matter the weight of the towing? (I usually two my motorcycle (mid size) on a light weight trailer. Probably 700lbs combined.

·
Registered
2014 CR-V
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I can't drive 300 miles or 8 hours without a break anyways. Would a stop and go break help?
Does it matter the weight of the towing? (I usually two my motorcycle (mid size) on a light weight trailer. Probably 700lbs combined.
[/QUO

When I began my search for more information on flat towing a Honda CRV behind my RV I found on google many comments. As I mentioned in my post either they were stating maximum towing for hours (8) or miles (300). My owners manual states a procedure to follow for towing a car behind on four wheels and actual tells you that 8 hours is the maximum. Here is what it says before towing the car:

• Check the transmission fluid level
  • Start the engine
  • Depress the brake pedal. Move the shift lever through all its positions
  • Shift to D and hold for five seconds, then to N. Let the engine run for three minutes, then turn it off.
  • Release the parking brake
  • Leave the ignition switch in ACCESSORY
  • Turn off all the electric devices. Do not use any accessory power sockets (this can prevent the battery from running down.
It also states that severe automatic transmission damage could occur if not followed. Another thing in the manual states that when towing a vehicle do not exceed 65 mph and if you go over 8 hours, stop and run through the above procedure before continuing your trip.

No mention of towing a trailer. Another thing I learned is that you cannot tow a CRV newer than a 2014

·
Registered
2008 EX-L w/Nav (70000 mls)
69 Posts
Oh, I didn't understand your original post. You were talking about towing the CRV, not towing with the CRV. Thanks for clarifying. Hope you find your answer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts