Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

My dad is 83 and has realized it's time to stop driving. He has a 2010 CR-V (AWD, EX-L trim I think) and asked if I want it. So, I'm here to ask questions about the CR-V in general. My current car is an 07 Accord, so I know how Honda's work. I live in Montana.

I will get a closer look at it when I go home for Thanksgiving in a few weeks. Price has not been discussed but will likely be too good to pass up.

The car has spent all of it's life in the rust belt that is Buffalo, NY. So, for me that's a negative. Like most Montana cars, my '07 Accord has almost none, look under the hood here and you won't find anything more than surface rust. As for the painted body parts, I think there is some bubbling rust over one wheel well, otherwise it's fine.

It being an AWD car, that would be nice out here. I believe it's an EX-L trim level; it has leather seats and a sunroof but no nav. Also heated seats and Bluetooth (I hope).

Dad's car has about 35,000 miles on it. He would typically drive the car 1 mile to work and 1 mile home. Occasionally it would go for 30+ mile trips.

Oil has been changed yearly since he didn't drive it enough to follow the maint. minder. I don't know if it's been taken in for any recalls.

He did get a letter from Honda about two years ago mentioning something about excessive oil consumption, and to have it tested at the local dealer. This was not done, I think Dad said it wasn't an issue. (Probably wouldn't be at 4,000 miles a year.) Was oil consumption a widespread problem?

But, my Accord uses/leaks/vaporizes oil too, about 1/2 quart per oil change. (Same engine as dad's CR-V)

So, what to do? Keep the Accord with 207,000 miles, not AWD, no heated seats, no rust and some oil consumption, or get the CR-V with 35,000 miles on it, AWD, heated seats, possibly some oil consumption, and rust?

I've also found that some Canadian CR-V's of this age were bought back by Honda Canada under some kind of recall, related to rust in a certain part of the car. Is that also a widespread problem here stateside?

As for me, I'm pretty good at DIY and have done most of the Accord's maintenance as long as it doesn't require specialized tools. A/C work, transmission jobs, etc. are for the pros.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
Re: rust

I live in the rust belt and my 2008 did not develop one bit of rust anywhere in the body. All of the underbelly was completely rust free apart from one exhaust mount which was almost shot 9 years in when I sold it.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
I had a 2010 EX-L. I'd accept the car. There was a TSB update concerning automatic shifting. It wasn't shifiting at the right acceleration point. Everything was fine after TSB firmware update.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Welcome to the forum! Unless, upon inspection, you find a ton of severe rust under the car, I'd say go for it. You are not likely to ever find another car with those miles for that money, one-owner, owned by someone you know, with a history you know. Sounds like a heck of a deal to me. Certainly not one I could pass up. There were some production issues with rings on 2010-2011 models, and if such a problem develops, it likely wouldn't show up until much later. You can do a search here and find some good threads that discuss it. My '07 has had no major issues at 92k, and I love it. It did get front struts at 65k. they were defective and leaked. Recharged the A/C when I got it. Gotta replace one door lock actuator. No other issues so far. Keep us posted!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I've also found that some Canadian CR-V's of this age were bought back by Honda Canada under some kind of recall, related to rust in a certain part of the car. Is that also a widespread problem here stateside?
The problem is that part of the rear suspension will break free from the body with this failure, due to one of the frame rails rusting from the inside out. In other words, the rust is not visible until it's too late. And the problem would be so expensive to fix after the failure that it isn't worth saving the CR-V for. There have been two failures already posted here in the forum. I have two '09s here--the blue one has a lot more rust underneath than the tan one. They both came from Ohio, they were built just six or seven weeks apart, and have roughly the same mileage. (My better half usually passes me in mileage until I take a couple of long road trips.) It just shows you how different people took care of their CR-Vs over time.

The best thing to do would be to check the underside of the CR-V. Since it has so few miles, it likely will have very little rust and will be perfectly fine. If it was not well maintained or regularly cleaned, though, I would be certain to take a peek underneath.

But, my Accord uses/leaks/vaporizes oil too, about 1/2 quart per oil change. (Same engine as dad's CR-V)
That is not "using" oil so much--that is actually quite good! My '09 uses about the same per oil change, and I go by the maintenance minder (which is ~10,000 miles). Our blue '09 probably goes through a quart at the most. All of the older Hondas I have ever owned would go through a lot more oil than that. My kiddo's '02 Accord (3.0L V6) goes through about two quarts per oil change. Our '99 TL (3.2L V6) used between one and two quarts. My '97 CR-V used at least two quarts if not three, every 7,500 miles (the oil change interval).

Keep in mind that auto manufacturers consider oil use to be "excessive" only if it exceeds one quart per 1,000 miles. Our '04 Civic just might qualify--it is using well over one quart of oil per tankful of gas. ? (Long/off-topic story.)

There was an issue with the K24 engine using too much oil. In fact, there is a sticky thread in one of the forums about it. But I don't think it was really widespread to where all of the K24s were defective--just a smaller percentage. Honda has made many millions of these engines. And other than a couple of issues (like the oil usage, or the "VTC rattle" that afflicts some K24s that were used in Accords and the Acura TSX), it's pretty much bulletproof.

One last note about the K24. My kiddo and I drove across Montana this past summer, from Rapid City SD up to Helena and then to Kalispell. I struggled on a poor tank of gas from a Casey's General Store in SD--I was nearly continually downshifting and having to wind the engine up higher just to maintain the speed limit. I ended up filling it with ethanol-free gas (somewhere around Billings?) and it drove much better.

The K24 only being a 4-cylinder engine struggles somewhat in the hills with something as heavy as the CR-V. In the mountains, forget about it--when I'm going over mountain passes (especially in Colorado), I can barely maintain speed with one passenger and a load of luggage, with the engine running hard around 5,000 RPM; passing is completely impossible. Even without the luggage, it struggles. On our flat terrain here, though, it has plenty of pep. Your Accord is lighter weight; the CR-V is around 3,450 pounds, nearly two tons. It's not that the K24 is a bad engine, but it was a poor choice for trying to push around so much weight.

But hey, you have a very low mileage CR-V. If you find it struggles too much, you can always sell it for quite a tidy sum and get something more powerful like the Pilot. But if you're OK with how it works for you as a daily driver, you'll have something that is comfortable and easy to drive (the transmission is smooth, and with the traction control and good tires, it cuts through winter weather like butter!). Major problems? Probably not for many years yet. I went through a rash of repairs in both of ours over the past two years (starters, AC compressors, struts), but we have almost 150,000 miles on each of ours.

If it has leather, it is the EX-L model. You'll have scored a nice one! And the Accord will give someone else quite a few more years of good service too, I'm sure. Where I live, it's usually rust that kills the older Hondas...or just about any car, for that matter.

Let us know what you end up doing!

·
Registered
197 Posts
Get the CRV.

I have a 2011 AWD CRV SE. Only 35k miles. 5 years in No. Colorado. No issues, no problems.

Of course AWD is a plus in winter snow. You'll also like the extra ground clearance and approach/departure angles. And the front design doesn't scoop snow, like some cars with front spoilers.

And plenty of wheel-well clearance makes it easy to dislodge accumulated snow & ice.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Not yet sold on the CRV?

Something you might not have considered: From personal experience, I know the CRV is much better than an Accord if you ever have to sleep in it.

In your CRV, you can make a bed with FRONT seats that fully recline.

It's quick & easy:

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
I slept in my 1999 CR-V a couple of times using the reclined seats.
Not as comfortable as a bed, but better than sleeping in a tent. :D

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
That feature probably will not work with power seats. I don't think they can recline far enough to make that happen.

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Think I'll just stay at the La Quinta instead, and get my free waffles... ?

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Think I'll just stay at the La Quinta instead, and get my free waffles... ?
I like La Quinta, but prefer Holiday Inn Express. Their free breakfast includes waffles, pancakes, scrambled eggs, small cheese omelets, biscuits and gravy, toasted bread, yogurt, milk, hot tea, hot coffee, orange juice, english muffins, bagels, and sometimes sausage and bacon.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Fully reclined seat is much more comfy with blankets/towels to make a flat surface... then top it with a chaise lounge cushion or air mattress.

Great for extended naps and road trips. And a real life-saver when you're exhausted and there's no motel in sight.

·
Registered
2010 EX-L (AWD, non-Nav)
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So I'm home now and had a chance to look at Dad's car today. It is an EX-L (no Nav), brown exterior with black & gray interior. I was wrong on the mileage - it has 26,000, not 35,000 like I thought (26000/9 = 2,888 miles per year). Also wrong on the bubbling rust - there isn't any. It's raining today so I didn't get a chance to look under it.

But I did look under the hood and what rust I found is nothing to worry about. Plastic intake manifold - interesting. There's no cover over the injectors - is that normal?

It has spent all of it's 9 years parked in the garage when he wasn't at work, so no sunburned headlights or faded anything.

It has a sunroof, which is normally a deal-breaker for this 6' 1" driver. But I have 2" of headroom, so no problems there. It's probably the only sunroof-equipped vehicle where I haven't had my hair rubbing against the headliner.

Since it was raining today, I can't comment on the road or engine noise. I do like the following items that don't exist in my 07 Accord:
  • speed-sensitive radio volume
  • built-in USB (aftermarket add-on in my Accord)
  • loud radio (160 watt?)
  • heated seats & mirrors
  • automatic climate control
  • AWD
  • automatic headlights
  • much easier entry/exit than the Accord, due largely to bigger door openings, but also slippery leather seats.
There is a bad thing though: the seats. They're too hard. I've never owned a car with leather seats, but those times I've been in one with them, I've found them to be too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. The 'mouse fur' fabric seats in my Accord are perfect in both padding and temperature.

Not having the navigation thing is a plus; my Garmin does the job better from what I've heard.

I don't think it has Bluetooth, couldn't find any references to that in the manual. A minor annoyance.

No open recalls on it; the MM is at 100%. There's one of those quick-lube stickers on the windshield saying it's due for an oil change in April 2020, probably one year after the last change.

Pics coming when it gets sunny outside.

·
Registered
197 Posts
So I'm home now and had a chance to look at Dad's car today. It is an EX-L (no Nav), brown exterior with black & gray interior. I was wrong on the mileage - it has 26,000, not 35,000 like I thought (26000/9 = 2,888 miles per year). Also wrong on the bubbling rust - there isn't any. It's raining today so I didn't get a chance to look under it...
I bet your Dad is a conscientious owner. And probably learned firsthand the dangers of rust long ago.

So I bet he regularly washed the underside -- especially in winter -- thru an automated car wash. That's what I did during 5 winters in Colorado.

No rust under my 2011 CRV.

·
Registered
197 Posts
...There is a bad thing though: the seats. They're too hard. I've never owned a car with leather seats, but those times I've been in one with them, I've found them to be too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. The 'mouse fur' fabric seats in my Accord are perfect in both padding and temperature...
Maybe the seats feel hard because the seat foam & leather are stiff when cold.

I bet the EX-L seat heaters will soften 'em up. Maybe someone with first-hand experience will chime in (I have unheated cloth seats).

Based on vinyl & leatherette seats I've had in the past, I definitely agree: Too cold in winter and too hot in summer.

Fortunately there are a TON of aftermarket seat cover materials, like this: Custom Fit Seat Covers

Do-It-Yourself install should be much easier in a CRV than the 09 Corvette I did. And nowadays there's a Youtube install video.

Whatever cover you choose, make sure it has cut-outs for the seat airbags.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
I wish I had your problems. Especially the one where someone is dangling a brand new Gen3 in front of my face.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I'm happy with my cloth seats. But I need a durable cover to protect against a sharp-clawed pet, an incontinent Parent, and my own dirty/wet/sandy beach & work clothes.

That is, instead of a permanent install, you might want slip-on covers. They install/remove in seconds, easy to clean, and inexpensive.

I tried these:

1. Seat Armour CST-TAN Tan Seat Protector Towel.
Not sturdy enough for my needs. Wrong choice for me.

2. ARIES 3142-18 Seat Defender Universal Seat Cover.
Sturdy fabric upper layer, grippy bottom layer. Waterproof. Stays in place. Good quality. Rugged & durable... after 6 years it still looks new. Highly recommended... for only $27, I don't care the fit looks a little sloppy. Good choice for me. (It's actually a nice brown color, but looks purple in photos.)
CRV seat cover Aries Seat Defender2.jpg

3. SeatKeeper F-Cap Style Seat Cover.
Dual-layer protection like Aries... similar quality materials but thicker & heavier-duty. Looks custom fit. Shifts a bit when I slide out, a minor inconvenience I could remedy with the tie-down eyelets. Great for dogs. Rugged & durable... still looks new after 6 years. $50 and worth it. Best choice for my passenger seat. Maybe someday I'll get a matching cover for the driver's seat. (It's actually a nice tan color, but looks purple in photos.)
CRV seat cover SeatKeeper F-cap style.jpg

1 - 20 of 48 Posts