Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I don't know if it's differences in manufacturing, or just lack of care for a car, but I have two '09s that were built only about six or seven weeks apart, and our mileage is roughly similar on both. We bought both of these used. My tan CR-V has less rust underneath than the blue CR-V, where it's more noticeable, and it has been a little harder to work on. Both cars came from Ohio. It's evident the blue CR-V lived a harder life, and it has more flaws inside as well. And we're not replacing that one until my better half gets a job in a better area.

I am wondering if this 2010 was driven a short distance in the rough winter weather, to where the salt never really had a chance to wash off. In other words, drive it a few miles, and it's parked with that salt sitting there all that time. Where I live, yes, we do get salted roads, but we get enough rain in between that some of that salt is flushed away while driving, and I'm not afraid to take it up to the coin-op car wash and blast the undercarriage during the winter after a rough spell of weather.

·
Registered
518 Posts
My 2008 Civic (J VIN) rusted in every possible spot in the body. Prolly just failed galvanics. 2008 CR-V (UK VIN) had rust nowhere apart from aftermarket hitch.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
My 2008 Civic (J VIN) rusted in every possible spot in the body. Prolly just failed galvanics. 2008 CR-V (UK VIN) had rust nowhere apart from aftermarket hitch.
I have seen used 8th generation Civics with more rust than our 2004 (7th gen), which only has a tiny spot of rust from a dent. Underneath it isn't that bad either--I'd say it has less than either of our '09s. But I have also seen some 7th gens in really poor condition here, especially 2001-2003, where the body has rusted through.

My '97 is slowly returning to the earth, one chunk of rust at a time. I'm ready to just get a tow truck to haul it to the salvage yard. I'm through with it. It's a shame the tires are almost new. They're worth more than the rest of the CR-V.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I am wondering if this 2010 was driven a short distance in the rough winter weather, to where the salt never really had a chance to wash off. In other words, drive it a few miles, and it's parked with that salt sitting there all that time.
That's exactly what happened. Dad would drive it 1 mile to work and 1 mile back. Occasionally it would go on long trips (20+ miles) into Buffalo or beyond.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
That's exactly what happened. Dad would drive it 1 mile to work and 1 mile back. Occasionally it would go on long trips (20+ miles) into Buffalo or beyond.
One advantage to taking it out to Montana is that the rust won't get much worse. If you could treat the existing rust with some sort of rust inhibitor, I think it would be fine. I would probably have a dealer inspect it, and make them aware of the Canadian recall so they know what to check for. Maybe even find a copy of the Canadian TSB online and print that out to show them how to test the mount for the trailing arm.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I am back in Montana now, without the CR-V; I'll have to get that on another trip in a few months.

I also think that the simple act of having the car out here will stop the rust dead in it's tracks even if I did nothing. We hardly use salt here and the environment is naturally dry.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
It will still rust, but much slower because there won't be corrosive salt to deal with. Since the surface of the steel has been breached, it will always be vulnerable to rust. For the undercarriage, a good blast with a power washer and treating it with rust inhibitor (which chemically reacts with the rust) would be best. And it's always a good idea to power wash the wheel wells, to flush out the rest of that crud where it gets tucked into tiny spaces. A DIY car wash is a good way to do this, although it is much harder to get underneath the CR-V unless you don't mind getting wet. 😁

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Some of the drive-thru car washes around here have an extra cost option of "underbody flush", which is basically water jets that point straight up and spray the underside of the vehicle. The one I use is not an "automatic" car wash that controls how fast your car goes through, but is one where you drive through it. So I can go slower over the underbody flush section to give it plenty of time to wash away stuff. And I use one that's touchless, so it's not rubbing the dirt into the paint.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts