Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone-

I’ve been reading and researching and have decided I’d like to consider a cr-v in the 2012-2015 range to replace my 07 that was totaled. I know the 3rd gen is a beloved model and I even considered replacing mine with another from that time but I had to take mileage and the 10-13 year time frame into consideration. I’m noticing several complaints in regards to starter and battery issues for this generation, mainly the 2013-2014 models. I’d just like to know if those of you who own them would get these models again, or would you spring for maybe a 2016-2017? Are these issues truly affecting every owner with this generation of the crv or does the internet just make it seem that way?
I just need a reliable, dependable, stable and affordable compact SUV as I live in New England. I’m really also considering a 2013/2014 rav4 bc the push to start is enticing, and a 2014 Hyundai Tucson based on my neighbor’s suggestions
Btw I previously posted this in the welcome thread and figured I should direct my specific questions here, to those with long term experience with the models I’m interested in.

·
Administrator
3,298 Posts
Plenty of modifications in the 12 to 16 model years including the change to Earthdreams and CVT in 15. I'm very happy with my 16, 15's needed tsb to reduce vibration at idle syndrome.
My 16 is a car I'd get again.

·
1,947 Posts
I will never own a vehicle with a CVT. Great on paper, poor in practical application. Won't hold up long term. I'd also stay away from push-to-start, as it not only makes the vehicle a nightmare when it breaks, it also makes it far easier to steal. But the 2014 is probably good to go.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I've got a 2015 EX with the push to start and i've had no problems with it except for the driver side seat belt doesn't retract all the way; it must be dirty so i need to clean it. Now my sister has a 2016 HRV and had an issue with her smart key entry system. I read online that a lot of people go to Honda to find out it costs an arm and a leg to fix but most turn out to be solved when replacing the actual push start button. Honda charges like 150 bucks for the button but you can get it online for around 23; takes about 10 minutes to replace if you're slow and really careful.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I bought a new 2014 and love my CR-V. I had a blow out of one of the original tires when I ran over something while driving, but had no problems with the other ties. I did replace all four tires recently, but at 40,000 miles I'm fine with that.
The only complaint is having the VTC Actuator noise problem, which required taking it to the Honda dealer to have it replaced. They replaced the timing chain tensioner at the same. I think that other than that one repair I've only had to do maintenance items (fluid and filter changes).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought a new 2014 and love my CR-V. I had a blow out of one of the original tires when I ran over something while driving, but had no problems with the other ties. I did replace all four tires recently, but at 40,000 miles I'm fine with that.
The only complaint is having the VTC Actuator noise problem, which required taking it to the Honda dealer to have it replaced. They replaced the timing chain tensioner at the same. I think that other than that one repair I've only had to do maintenance items (fluid and filter changes).
was your vtc actuator repair covered?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Have a 2015 and absolutely love it. I read later after I had bought the car some were complaining about a Vibration at a idle....maybe a slight one sometimes but nothing I would worry about. I did not have the TSB done. Would defiantly buy my car again.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Our 2014 has been trouble free. I was surprised at your "several complaints in regards to starter and battery issues " comment. I haven't experienced either of those.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
was your vtc actuator repair covered?
No, it wasn't. The repair is covered by "normal warranty" according to the Honda Service Bulletin for the issue.

There are two warranties in play, the 3 year/36,000 mile bumper-to-bumper warranty, and the 5 year/60,000 mile powertrain warranty. Both warranties are "whichever comes first", time or mileage.

I was past the 36,000 miles, and it has also been more than 5 years since I bought the CR-V. So I had to pay for the repair.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
I have a 2014 and 2017 CRV,. The 2014 has never been back to the dealer since the day it was bought just fluid changes. Wish I could say the same for the 2017.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The battery complaints are mainly due to an undersized and lower quality battery used by Honda. If your battery fails during warranty you typically get another similar battery that will fail again prematurely.

Putting in a higher capacity battery normally takes care of the problem.

15’s and 16’s are updated/refined versions of the prior model, the improvements are worth it.

I researched it extensively prior to buying, looked at the same vehicles you did, investigated the problems with each model, then bought a very low mileage 16 CRV.

It’s been great so far.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Our 2014 has been trouble free. I was surprised at your "several complaints in regards to starter and battery issues " comment. I haven't experienced either of those.
I’m glad to hear it! I really want to upgrade my car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
"The battery complaints are mainly due to an undersized and lower quality battery used by Honda."

I agree.
When the stupid original Honda 'lawn mower battery' was four (4) years old I replaced it out of caution putting in a Rural King battery the same size in its place. Then I took the original 6+ year old Honda battery and put it into my John Deere Diesel Tractor where it has been providing starting power ever since. At 6+ years old I keep expecting it to die, but that sucker keeps on cranking. That "undersized and lower quality battery" just won't quit. Stupid thing, I want a brand new battery for the tractor but I'm just too cheap to put one in there when the 6+ year old one is still working.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your feedback. I test drove a 2014 today and call me crazy, but the 2008 I test drove last week actually felt safer so I think I’ll go with that.

·
Registered
159 Posts
“That "undersized and lower quality battery" just won't quit.”

People report battery problems, enough of them that the OP asked about it.

Because one person said it lasted 4 years in their CRV is great. But each persons driving habits are different. Honda has been putting small batteries in CRVs and there isn’t much reserve capacity. If an owner doesn’t drive it long enough to fully charge the battery, or leaves it sit for a long period of time, it may lose its charge. Once severely depleted it will no longer fully recharge and have its original reserve capacity. Do this a couple of times and it’s time for replacement.

What a battery does in a tractor after being removed from the CRV is irrelevant, I assume there’s not much parasitic draw from the tractor sitting unused. This is unlike a modern car with the computer monitoring and keeping track of data continually.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Thank you all for your feedback. I test drove a 2014 today and call me crazy, but the 2008 I test drove last week actually felt safer so I think I’ll go with that.
If you like the 2008 better than definitely go with it. We bought our 2013 brand new and now it has 84,000 miles and all I've done is rotors and brakes, 2 batteries, and just routine maintenance. It's been a solid vehicle. Good luck!

·
1,947 Posts
I think that's a solid decision. IMO the later Gen4 and Gen5 models, compared to the Gen3, have too many mechanical issues and are also too gimmicked up with electronics that, even if they did work properly, are not beneficial, and are highly expensive to repair as well as unreliable and unsafe.

As far as batteries go, there are Some excellent threads on battery upgrades. here are the best ones I've found:

51 battery replacement

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

3rd Gen CRV Bigger Battery Upgrade

I've already had to replace the battery in my '07 once, on short notice, and hadn't researched it yet, but I have now, and I'll be changing from the anemic stock Group 51R size battery to a Group 24F at the next change. I already got the OEM Honda parts for the swap, which consists of the battery tray, box ,and hold-down from the 2014 Odyssey, as listed in the above threads. About $25 for those. The much larger 24F is proven to fit and easy to do, and will give considerably better results overall. Honda should have already done this long ago.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think that's a solid decision. IMO the later Gen4 and Gen5 models, compared to the Gen3, have too many mechanical issues and are also too gimmicked up with electronics that, even if they did work properly, are not beneficial, and are highly expensive to repair as well as unreliable and unsafe.

As far as batteries go, there are Some excellent threads on battery upgrades. here are the best ones I've found:

51 battery replacement

Larger Group 24 Battery Install

3rd Gen CRV Bigger Battery Upgrade

I've already had to replace the battery in my '07 once, on short notice, and hadn't researched it yet, but I have now, and I'll be changing from the anemic stock Group 51R size battery to a Group 24F at the next change. I already got the OEM Honda parts for the swap, which consists of the battery tray, box ,and hold-down from the 2014 Odyssey, as listed in the above threads. About $25 for those. The much larger 24F is proven to fit and easy to do, and will give considerably better results overall. Honda should have already done this long ago.
Thank you very much for these threads! I had to replace the battery (original) in my 07 once after purchasing in 2016 and the A/C compressor went last year, but it was overall a great car before someone hit it. I feel like the 08 will be comparable and for $5500 it may be worth it even if I do need to replace a battery down the line.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi everyone-

I’ve been reading and researching and have decided I’d like to consider a cr-v in the 2012-2015 range to replace my 07 that was totaled. I know the 3rd gen is a beloved model and I even considered replacing mine with another from that time but I had to take mileage and the 10-13 year time frame into consideration. I’m noticing several complaints in regards to starter and battery issues for this generation, mainly the 2013-2014 models. I’d just like to know if those of you who own them would get these models again, or would you spring for maybe a 2016-2017? Are these issues truly affecting every owner with this generation of the crv or does the internet just make it seem that way?
I just need a reliable, dependable, stable and affordable compact SUV as I live in New England. I’m really also considering a 2013/2014 rav4 bc the push to start is enticing, and a 2014 Hyundai Tucson based on my neighbor’s suggestions
Btw I previously posted this in the welcome thread and figured I should direct my specific questions here, to those with long term experience with the models I’m interested in.
I have a 2016 Touring. It has not had a problem. Battery died at 3.5 years which is pretty standard in Oklahoma. It has only been in for fluids. This is my third CRV and they all have been trouble free. I would recommend a 2016 to anyone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone-

I would not buy CRV 2015 and 2016. It has vibration issues and TSB did not solve it.
I have 90,000 miles on CRV 2015 and vibrations are unbearable. I have to put car in N every stop light. STAY AWAY..It took Honda over year to confess the issue and customers treated horribly.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts