Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently in the market for a solid all weather long distance commuter car. Have a Subaru that has done well, but its time to put it down and move on.

Everything I'm seeing points towards a AWD CR-V being a solid dependable rig that will take us down snowy roads when needed and will get us down the 2 miles of community maintained unpaved roads to the state road in bad weather when needed. Reliability is key as for at least the next year we need to commute 400 miles each way once a week. For the next year could put Highway 40,000 miles.

The sweet spot appears to be 2009 or something in the 2007 - 2011 range with anywhere between 50,000 and 110,000 miles priced around $11,000 give or take. What I'm learning on this forum is they are all Gen 3 and overall folks have been pretty happy with them

Is there anything specific to any of these years that I should be specifically watching for or steer clear of? With the miles we are going to rack up, 20,000 miles plus or minus on any rig should be insignificant

Other option is to get an earlier year with 150,000 miles for half the price and run the wheels off it, but am concerned that might be too much to ask of an older car.

Any suggestions or things to think about are welcome

·
Registered
560 Posts
no matter what you get, make sure the owner has been doing regular service on the car. A guy with all the bills and records is a good owner. Make sure the car has not been in a major accident. Good lluck

·
Registered
442 Posts
We have had our 07 ex awd for over 8 years now with just regular maintenance. 2007-2009 had no major issues as far as I know, there were the odd rear diff issues which is an easy fix by doing fluid changes at shorter intervals.
there were cases of excess oil consumption in 2010-2011 models where the engine was tweaked to gain more hp from 166-180. Dont think this was too bad but do some research on this if you plan to get these year models.
overall gen3 is a solid bet and theset hings can chew up highway miles with no issues.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts