Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to everyone!
I'm on an exhaustive search for a new car.
On my list are the Honda CRV, Toyota RAV, Maxda CX-5, Subaru Forester, and Kia Sportage.
The Honda CRV was at the top of the list until I read about the vibration issues.
I thought it was for the 2016 models, but I found out they won't be released until next spring.
Hopefully the vibration issues will be corrected for 2016.

·
Registered
380 Posts
First of all... WELCOME!

Have you considered the Hyundai Tucson? It is totally redesigned for 2016 and in my opinion is now a very desirable vehicle.

My shortlist is the CR-V (yes, I'm still considering it even with the vibration issues) and the Tucson.

You can check out my comparison post here. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Drive it, if you like it buy it! We love ours, no issues.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum. When buying, narrow it down to three (3) models if possible. Price is important but drive all of them for comfort/quality/convience and choose the one you like best, because YOU are the one who has to live with it 24/7. JMHO and hope you make the right choice, Good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks.
I plan on doing that.
My mechanic worked for many years at a large Toyota dealership in Los Angeles. Now he has his own shop.
He works mainly on Toyotas.
I asked him about the Toyota RAV.
He said lots of his customers have the RAV and like it.He thinks it's a dependable car.
But I'm still going to test drive a few car brands.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Personally I made myself a spreadsheet with the dimensions, power, weight, ratings, the average selling price from truecar.com, the insurance costs as provided by my insurance company, and other estimates for 5-year maintenance and repair costs and depreciation from edmunds.com. Added them all up to get a TCO so I could go to the dealers knowing that make and model X had to give me $Y,000 more value than what competitor Z might give me to make it worthwhile, and which were too far out to stand a chance of negotiating down the difference. Doing this, I got the same answer as my wife - who just wanted another CR-V anyway.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Test drive the 2015 CRV for yourself and see if you notice any vibration and if it works for you. Its is still the top selling in this segment so looks like most people are happy with it.
You wont go wrong with the Rav4, it is one of Toyota's best seller and bullet proof reliability. Other options as folks have suggested Hyundai Tuscon, Nissan Rogue, Mitsubishi Outlander, Subaru Forester.

CRV and Rav4 are probably at the top in terms of reliability and total cost of ownership. Good luck !

·
Registered
868 Posts
Test drive the 2015 CRV for yourself and see if you notice any vibration and if it works for you. Its is still the top selling in this segment so looks like most people are happy with it.
Not in your home country. Ford Escape has been the #1 for years. CRV is 3rd, last time I checked.

·
Registered
81 Posts
You may add to the list the Subaru Outback, while you are checking the Forester. The Outback sits (the seat, not the car) a little lower than the Forester and it is a much quieter/more refined ride than the Forester, and CRV and Rav4.I had some concerns about the past issues of Subaru -- But after much research decided the Subaru was for us.The oil consumption was a issue of cheapening up on piston rings -- Subaru rebuilt/replaces whole engines over this, and the 2.5 was redesigned. the head gasket thing. was 5-6 years ago and I think they did some redesign on this as well.
I was a Honda driver/buyer for the last 26 years.
If you are still thinking CRV -- go (allow some time) http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle.html and read this thread -- if you still buy after that -- you may well wind up like the many -- wanting to "throw" their CRvibrator back at Honda!
Good luck with whatever you buy!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Everyone has great suggestions.Lots of choices and decisions to make.
I wish there was only one car maker and one model.
Would be a lot easier!

·
Registered
442 Posts
You may add to the list the Subaru Outback, while you are checking the Forester. The Outback sits (the seat, not the car) a little lower than the Forester and it is a much quieter/more refined ride than the Forester, and CRV and Rav4.I had some concerns about the past issues of Subaru -- But after much research decided the Subaru was for us.The oil consumption was a issue of cheapening up on piston rings -- Subaru rebuilt/replaces whole engines over this, and the 2.5 was redesigned. the head gasket thing. was 5-6 years ago and I think they did some redesign on this as well.
I was a Honda driver/buyer for the last 26 years.
If you are still thinking CRV -- go (allow some time) http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/14-problems-issues/63138-2015-honda-cr-v-vibration-idle.html and read this thread -- if you still buy after that -- you may well wind up like the many -- wanting to "throw" their CRvibrator back at Honda!
Good luck with whatever you buy!
I hope the head gasket was 5-6 years ago. It takes 5-6 years to show up .... while there are tons of older model outbacks with head gasket issues there are quite a few 2010 / 11 cropping up with head gasket failures.
Oil burning was seem with 2013 Foresters and imprezza as well.
There are many frustrated subaru owners fixing head gasket issues while Subaru has showed them the "out of warranty" card ! Add to it with the boxer engine head gaskets go out on either side !
There is a thread in some forum, not sure which where there a few 2010 / 11 Subarus with head gaskets blown or leaking !
There has mostly never been an issue with the 3.6 motor which is solid.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I hope the head gasket was 5-6 years ago. It takes 5-6 years to show up .... while there are tons of older model outbacks with head gasket issues there are quite a few 2010 / 11 cropping up with head gasket failures.
Oil burning was seem with 2013 Foresters and imprezza as well.
There are many frustrated subaru owners fixing head gasket issues while Subaru has showed them the "out of warranty" card ! Add to it with the boxer engine head gaskets go out on either side !
There is a thread in some forum, not sure which where there a few 2010 / 11 Subarus with head gaskets blown or leaking !
There has mostly never been an issue with the 3.6 motor which is solid.

The oil consumption issue that is a continuing problem for Subaru (as evidenced in the recent CR article http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm, )as well as several complaints about brake replacement after only 12,000 miles, made me decide against the Subaru. The ride in the Outback was very stiff as well. There is a car out there for everyone, and opinions to match them.....Good luck in finding the perfect ride! Then let me know!

·
Registered
81 Posts
The oil consumption issue that is a continuing problem for Subaru (as evidenced in the recent CR article http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/06/excessive-oil-consumption/index.htm, )as well as several complaints about brake replacement after only 12,000 miles, made me decide against the Subaru. The ride in the Outback was very stiff as well. There is a car out there for everyone, and opinions to match them.....Good luck in finding the perfect ride! Then let me know!
Read that article closer -- that was on the some of the older 2.5s -- NOT THE 2015s and 16s
My bro-in law and sis-in law have had 3 Foresters in the last 13 years without any of them having any oil-burning issues!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts