Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

Considering purchasing 06 crv that’s been sitting for 5 years due to Cat thefts

1028 20
Long story short- coworkers 2006 CRV (~120k miles) has been sitting for about 5 years. Initially his cat was stolen. He had it replaced by a shop then wasn’t able to pass emissions due to 02 sensor CEL codes. He’s not mechanically savvy so that’s about all he knows about it.

Ichecked it out a couple days ago and it looked like his”new” cat had also been stolen. I’m relatively mechanically capable so considering purchasing it (he wants $500ish) and fixing it up for my gf.

I know it’ll need a new cat, new 02 sensors, possibly and entire exhaust system depending where and how they cut the cat out, new battery, new tires.

I’ve done a lot of work on my 99 Crv and feel like this work is doable for me. But I’ve also never refreshed a car that’s been sitting for a while. I know to siphon out the gas, refresh the oil in the head prior to cranking, that kind of stuff. But am I missing something that could make this go horribly? Is there any other advice that could be useful here? Is it going to be as simple as refreshing gas and oil, tires and battery, then replacing cat and 02 sensor?

To clarify this is less about “cat stolen- how to replace” (lots of threads on this already) and more about reviving a long sitting V. Plenty of info on generics of this question, so curious about specifics relating to CRVs.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea- he ran into not being able to pass emissions and I just though “screw it.” Can’t imagine that mindset personally.
Good thought. I’ll definitely do that. I’ve yet to spend more than 15 minutes looking at the car but have been researching gen 2s and getting my inspection list together.

·
Premium Member
2006 CR-V EX AWD
40 Posts
Maybe drop a fresh battery in it and go through the electronics. Dash lights, switches, listen for the fuel pump to kick on, that sort of thing. Just want to make sure everything seems to be working. Rodents really like nesting in wiring harnesses, and can cause a lot of headaches in the form of repairs.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, as an update- I've spent a few hours tinkering with it over a few cold nights. Electrical looks OK. At least it seems OK running it off my battery. Engine turned over via crankshaft.
Siphoned the old gas out. Well, actually there was literally none in it. Put some new gas in her loaded up with fuel injector cleaner and a bit of stabilizer. Crank but no start. Just tried to turn it over a few times. I was worried about draining any battery and stranding myself.

Next step is going to be try starting it with starting fluid to see if it might be the spark plugs/fuel pump/fuel injectors, and a new battery. Shouldn't be this time consuming but its been a little tricky to work on it as it's at his apartment and sitting on 4 flats. And by the time I leave work the sun has set and its pretty cold out. Luckily he's letting me tinker with it as much as I want before committing. Really I should just pay to have it towed to my place, but Im trying to avoid any expenses before I actually buy it.

Eventually If I can get it to start, I'll fork out for the car and 4 tires. Then get it over to my place and replace the exhaust system/cat and 02 sensors.

·
Registered
2013 Honda CR-V EX-L (no navigation)
136 Posts
I would say you need new fuel pump, new battery, new tires, resurfacing rotors and lubricating brake pins, removIng and cleanIng fuel injectors, a couple of fuel filters in addition to catalyst. Assuming, you will not have rodent wiring damage or rusted fuel tank clogging the fuel line frequently. It sounds like a risky project.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would say you need new fuel pump, new battery, new tires, resurfacing rotors and lubricating brake pins, removIng and cleanIng fuel injectors, a couple of fuel filters in addition to catalyst. Assuming, you will not have rodent wiring damage or rusted fuel tank clogging the fuel line frequently. It sounds like a risky project.
I was planning on most of those. But it sounds like from your post that you think even if I was able to get decent fuel pressure and the car to start it’s possible that sediment left in the tank could occasionally dislodge and clog the fuel system?

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,223 Posts
The value of 2006 with about 130k miles and in good condition would be about $3,000 dollars.
However, in today's market it might be worth a little more due to chip shortages and what not.
If you believe you can bring this one into working condition for less than that then it could be a good deal.
Some people with enough knowledge would buy it and fix it then resell it for a profit.
It will take time and effort. Do you have the free time to do the work?
Is it worth your time?? Do you like working on cars??
Do you have the tools to do the work??

Some look for the easy way. And some like the path not taken.
Me, I am lazy but love working on cars.
However, I do not have much money to spend fixing cars
And not smart enough to make a profit reselling fixed up cars
So, I do only what I have to do.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The value of 2006 with about 130k miles and in good condition would be about $3,000 dollars.
However, in today's market it might be worth a little more due to chip shortages and what not.
If you believe you can bring this one into working condition for less than that then it could be a good deal.
Some people with enough knowledge would buy it and fix it then resell it for a profit.
It will take time and effort. Do you have the free time to do the work?
Is it worth your time?? Do you like working on cars??
Do you have the tools to do the work??

Some look for the easy way. And some like the path not taken.
Me, I am lazy but love working on cars.
However, I do not have much money to spend fixing cars
And not smart enough to make a profit reselling fixed up cars
So, I do only what I have to do.
I believe I can. But I'm not 100% confident. And it may be a struggle at times if I run into issues. I KNOW I can throw a new cat and 02 sensors on there. I just dont know if I can remedy the issues that have been caused by it sitting for so long. Assuming they're not solved by basics that I've mentioned above once I can actually give it a shot.

I do have the tools (and wouldn't mind an excuse to buy the ones I dont already have) and I do enjoy the work. I have a good enough working knowledge as well. And my biggest strength is the research side of diagnosing issues.

I'm like you- typically a lazyish person. But I have also grown to love working on cars, to the point of finding it exciting and looking forward to it. I've run out of MUSTS on my personal car and thought this would be a good next project. Goal is to give it to my GF who has been severely struggling to find a car in her price range that she really likes. She'd pay for parts, I'd handle the work. Then when she find something she actually likes- she'd sell it back to me and I'd resell it for profit (hopefully). She gets a cheap ride for a while, I get a project.

I expect to put about $1700 in the car (including the car itself) to get it running and drivable, the must do type of things.Then have budgeted out about another $300 in misc costs.
Car-$500
New Tires - $350
New Battery -$100
Cat-$150
Middle Resonator Plus Hardware - $100
02 Sensors- $150
PS Fluid Flush -$25
Coolant Flush- $30
Oil Change- $30
Spark Plugs/wires-$60
Air Filter- $20
Fuel Pump? - $100
Clean Fuel Injectors- $50

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'd do a Brake Service and flush brake fluid FIRST. The usual impulse is to 'get it going', but then IT MIGHT NOT STOP.

Don't ask me how I know that... :eek: :sneaky:
Ohh yes, good call. Brakes weren't high on my radar. Will add that to my potential expenses.
Need to get it running and 4 tires and decent brakes on her first, then tackle the rest of the list. Should probably flush the AT fluid while I'm at it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I was planning on most of those. But it sounds like from your post that you think even if I was able to get decent fuel pressure and the car to start it’s possible that sediment left in the tank could occasionally dislodge and clog the fuel system?
Yes there is risk involved with the condition of the fuel tank. If there is rust it will need to go thru a couple of fuel filters before it gets better. Also, other parts are destroyed by rust when car is sitting.

Anyway, if this car was a $10k value I would spend 5-6 weekends and $2k to bring it to life. But for a $3k car maybe you will just break even with time and money.

·
Registered
2007 CRV AWD
2,223 Posts
Anyway, if this car was a $10k value I would spend 5-6 weekends and $2k to bring it to life. But for a $3k car maybe you will just break even with time and money.
$3000 is a rough estimate. It can be worth a lot more depending upon the market area.
My nephew bought his 2007 CRV two years ago for $4500.
And, looking at vehicles for sale, have found that the price of the 2007 CRV has gone up.
Just something to think about.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
$5000 to $6000 is the current going rate for a Gen 2 around the same mileage in my area. $3000 gets you a high mileage (200K+ version) or a mechanics special.
As money is tight for my GF this is definitely the cheapest option- assuming it doesn't turn into a money pit. Like I mentioned my buddy is letting me mess around with it as much as I want before committing, so my first priority is trying to ID any issues/expenses I might run into other than the obvious.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Uncle Tony’s garage has a video mentioning that for cars sitting for a long time they may require a lot of starting fluid because the fuel has all evaporated from the intake whereas normally it is saturated, so it will absorb a lot of fuel.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Uncle Tony’s garage has a video mentioning that for cars sitting for a long time they may require a lot of starting fluid because the fuel has all evaporated from the intake whereas normally it is saturated, so it will absorb a lot of fuel.
It started with a small spritz of starter fluid yesterday. I’m thinking either the fuel pump is dead or fuel injectors clogged. I have a replacement pump en route and will see from there.

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Replaced the pump tonight. Can hear it click on with the key in the ignition. Still not start though. On to cleaning the injectors. Will be at a loss if it fails to start after that.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Do you get fuel to the injector bar when fuel pump is on? Is gas fresh in the tank?

·
Registered
1999 CR-V EX. AT.
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you get fuel to the injector bar when fuel pump is on? Is gas fresh in the tank?
Gas is fresh, yes. Not sure how to tell if fuel is making it to the injector bar as I don’t have a fuel pressure gauge (I assume that’s how I’d tell). I replaced the pump based on not hearing it click when I turned the key, though I could hear the fuel pump relay click.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts