Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2018 AWD Touring, and at times the console will go completely haywire. We joke that it is demon possessed. It will blink on and off, beep repeatedly, go blank, come back and display settings being changed, beep, etc. The only way I've been able to stop this is to turn off the car and then restart it. You can view a video of it at:

I took it to a Honda dealer, who said they cannot do anything unless they can replicate it themselves. Even though I showed them the video of the behavior, that wasn't good enough. They reset the computer, but the problem has still occurred.

At times now the backup camera screen will freeze, and I'll see what is in back of my driveway, even while going forward and driving around town. Once this didn't reset even by restarting the car, and my wife had to wait a few minutes before the screen would un-freeze.

I spoke to Honda America today, and they said that unless they can replicate it, they won't try to fix it. They said that unless they can replicate it, they can't determine which part is faulty. They suggested that when it occurs, to drive to the dealer, not turn off the car, and show them what it is doing. Ok, but what concerns me is that if I do that, and the dealer turns off the car and restarts it, it is unlikely the problem will immediately occur. Perhaps they can diagnose this without turning off the car, but I'm not optimistic.

Furthermore, even though this is now documented (before my warranty expires), if my warranty expires and they haven't been able to replicate it, they told me there is no guarantee they will cover it; at that point I am responsible for fixing it.

So I guess I'm in the position of hoping the problem will get worse, soon--before the warranty expires. I was wondering if anyone else had problems like this, or had suggestions on anything I could do to get this fixed.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,187 Posts
Happened to me a couple of months ago.

Cured itself after I pulled over and restarted the car. Might also be worth checking if you are in need of a software update. In my case, my software was all up to date and it still had the issue your video shows.

Seems its a glitch, but thankfully hasnt resurrected. I know thats probably not the helpful answer you sought, but then, thiis infotainment unit is Honda's weakest link and frankly its embarrassing.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V EX
1,077 Posts
I have a 2018 AWD Touring, and at times the console will go completely haywire. We joke that it is demon possessed. It will blink on and off, beep repeatedly, go blank, come back and display settings being changed, beep, etc. The only way I've been able to stop this is to turn off the car and then restart it. You can view a video of it at:

I took it to a Honda dealer, who said they cannot do anything unless they can replicate it themselves. Even though I showed them the video of the behavior, that wasn't good enough. They reset the computer, but the problem has still occurred.

At times now the backup camera screen will freeze, and I'll see what is in back of my driveway, even while going forward and driving around town. Once this didn't reset even by restarting the car, and my wife had to wait a few minutes before the screen would un-freeze.

I spoke to Honda America today, and they said that unless they can replicate it, they won't try to fix it. They said that unless they can replicate it, they can't determine which part is faulty. They suggested that when it occurs, to drive to the dealer, not turn off the car, and show them what it is doing. Ok, but what concerns me is that if I do that, and the dealer turns off the car and restarts it, it is unlikely the problem will immediately occur. Perhaps they can diagnose this without turning off the car, but I'm not optimistic.

Furthermore, even though this is now documented (before my warranty expires), if my warranty expires and they haven't been able to replicate it, they told me there is no guarantee they will cover it; at that point I am responsible for fixing it.

So I guess I'm in the position of hoping the problem will get worse, soon--before the warranty expires. I was wondering if anyone else had problems like this, or had suggestions on anything I could do to get this fixed.
I see that you have stated that it has started to switch into the back-up camera mode as well but otherwise, does it specifically happen in the maps mode? Is it not happening equally in all modes?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see that you have stated that it has started to switch into the back-up camera mode as well but otherwise, does it specifically happen in the maps mode? Is it not happening equally in all modes?
This hasn't happened often enough for me to really discern a pattern, such as whether it happens equally in all modes. It has happened maybe three times while the map is displayed in navigation mode (I often drive this way) and a couple of times while backing up. I really have no information that would allow me to replicate it. Even though it only does this about once a week on average, it is very disconcerting and I'd like to figure it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts