Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nor was the local dealer willing to apply fix for my CR-V. They did pulled-up the extended warranty TSB, but said I still had to have a CEL light to appply fix.

CR says yes they will "finally" apply fix. Dealer says go pound sand again.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,629 Posts
Nor was the local dealer willing to apply fix for my CR-V. They did pulled-up the extended warranty TSB, but said I still had to have a CEL light to appply fix.

CR says yes they will "finally" apply fix. Dealer says go pound sand again.
Be aware.....Honda controls the rollout of TSBs, not the dealerships. If a dealer performs a TSB without your VIN being authorized by Honda... the dealer does not receive compensation by Honda to cover the work. See Note-1: below

I'm pretty sure Honda will ultimately apply the general TSB to all CRVs across the nation... but it will likely be in phases. The specific TSBs for codes being issued is very much driven by your vehicle popping the relevant codes.. and that is to be expected. Whereas the general TSB to address poor cabin heating and oil dilution concerns will eventually roll to all VINS.. as Consumer Reports indicated.. but it could take months for them to propagate to all VINs in the Honda tracking system.

Personally, I think the general TSB issued back in November for non-error code VINs is more about addressing cabin heating issues then addressing OD concerns. I could be wrong on that, but given the number of people reporting that the TSB did nothing for their CRV with regard to OD... and the fact that Honda went out of their way to talk about what they consider normal OD in this engine... it's a reasonable assumption at this point, for North America CRVs. That said... Honda did very much the same TSB campaign (the only difference being the change out of one cooling hose as well) in China for 350K vehicles, and there has been no new blow up by consumers about OD concerns since. If the TSB was a failure for addressing OD... the Chinese consumers would once again be picketing in mass in front of Honda Dealerships inside China.. and that would make the press for sure.. just like it did last time.

Note-1: The way the TSBs work is they have specific instructions on what to check for (sometimes it is only a VIN check, sometimes more checks are required to trigger a TSB action by a dealer), and then what to do about it. In the what to do about it part Honda specifies what parts/software to apply (if any) and what the approved labor and parts charges back to Honda are for the TSB/Recall/Warranty work. So it's not that the dealer is simply straight-arming you away... they are simply following Honda process here.. where your VIN must be listed for a given recall or TSB before a dealer is authorized to actually perform it. Collectively, we may or may not like the process, but at least it is a well understood process that we can wrap our arms around.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for posting this. I am a long time CR subscriber but I am disappointed in the fact that CR seems to be going pretty easy on Honda and accepting Honda's theory that this only affects a very small % of CRV's sold. I don't think enough people check there oil (or know how to) now days to even know if it is problem regardless of what some of the Honda fans say. CR should be advocating harder for a recall that doesn't expire. Also I found it very hard to listen to the woman in the middle. She seemed like she knew very little about the issue and was there to get in the video.

·
Registered
886 Posts
No doubt few raise their hoods. This nonsense has been going on since the 16' Civic 1.5L roll out. Maybe Honda can rejoice in the distracted and less than informed US auto consumer. Even though CR is mostly unbiased, they probably have to weigh the quality of info they are provided along with libel/slander lawsuit threat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Fuel vapor getting into oil has always occurred to some degree. The problem unique to the 2017-2018 CRV's is that this fuel vapor accumulates over time, especially in colder weather. Honda's solution will be to program the car to warm up faster so fuel cannot condense in the oil. If I had a 2017-2018 CRV 1.5 L, I would just take it on an extended highway drive at least once a week until the official recall occurs. That should heat the engine up enough to volatilize all the fuel out of the oil.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
Fuel vapor getting into oil has always occurred to some degree. The problem unique to the 2017-2018 CRV's is that this fuel vapor accumulates over time, especially in colder weather. Honda's solution will be to program the car to warm up faster so fuel cannot condense in the oil. If I had a 2017-2018 CRV 1.5 L, I would just take it on an extended highway drive at least once a week until the official recall occurs. That should heat the engine up enough to volatilize all the fuel out of the oil.
"Oh, Hi Mark"

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Are any 2019 owners experiencing oil dilution problems? I assumed Honda made the fix as they were in production.
Evidently very few people. A number so small compared to the annual sales that it's just as likely that you will have any other random problem like a broken Stereo etc.

·
Registered
276 Posts
No doubt few raise their hoods. This nonsense has been going on since the 16' Civic 1.5L roll out. Maybe Honda can rejoice in the distracted and less than informed US auto consumer. Even though CR is mostly unbiased, they probably have to weigh the quality of info they are provided along with libel/slander lawsuit threat.
That ws my guess also. I think, inhindsight, they have been the only nattional pub to address this issue. Kudos for that CR! I am sure their laweyrs are being cautioius. I remeber years ago when they got sued by an auto manufactuere becuase they said they vechicles were not safe.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts