Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You have to be a member at CR online in order to see all the nitty gritty details. But I thought it would be valuable to paste the top level conclusions from CR for 2020 in tires.... since Tires are ALWAYS a passionate topic of discussion in our forum. :)

Tire Brand Report Card (ranked order, based on composite score, out of 100)

Michelin 71
Continental 70
General 69
Pirelli 66
Nexen 65
Goodyear 65
Hankook 65
Bridgestone 65
Yokohama 64
Falken 64
Cooper 63
Firestone 62
Kumho 62
Nokian 62
BFGoodrich 62
laufenn 61
GT Radial 61
Toyo 61
Nitto 60
Uniroyal 57

No. 1: Michelin. Score: 71.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Michelin tires are at or near the top of ratings in each category they compete in. Most models have a good blend of grip, handling, and long wear. The Michelin CrossClimate + all-weather tire fits this mold with uncompromising performance, making it a very good choice for all types of driving conditions. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is a top-rated ultra-high-performance summer tire with impressive levels of grip and handling to supplement any sports car.

Recommended Michelin Tires
• All-season: Defender T+H
• All-season performance: CrossClimate +
• UHP summer: Pilot Sport 4s
• UHP all-season: Pilot Sport A/S 3+
• Truck all-season: Premier LTX, Defender LTX M/S
• Truck all-terrain: LTX A/T 2
• Winter/snow: X-Ice XI3
• Performance winter/snow: Pilot Alpin PA4
• Truck winter/snow: Latitude X-Ice XI2

No. 2: Continental. Score: 70.

Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus

Many Continental models are recommended, and all place high in our ratings. The latest tested Continental ExtremeContact Sport placed second in ratings and rivals the impressive Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, but it sells at a lower price.

Recommended Continental Tires
• Performance all-season: PureContact LS
• UHP summer: ExtremeContact Sport
• Truck all-season: CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus
• Truck all-terrain: TerrainContact A/T
• Winter/snow: WinterContact SI

No. 3: General. Score: 69.

General Altimax RT43

General is a second-tier brand owned by Continental. It sells tires at a lower price, without the road hazard and roadside assistance frills. But there is no skimping on performance. In recent years, General tires are at or near the top in our ratings. Its latest tested tires are the ultra-high-performance all-season tire, the General G-Max AS-05, and the ultra-high-performance summer tire, the General G-Max RS. Both are recommended and place third in their respective categories.

Recommended General Tires
Source for the Full Review: Best Tire Brands of 2020 (CR membership required to see it though).

·
Registered
188 Posts
Have to say, aside from what CR may report on a tire test, I pulled my continentals off with 50 kms on them and will eventually sell them on Kijiji. I replaced them with Nokian WRG4 all weathers due to past experience with these (excellent) tires. For anybody needing a snow tire during winter months, good summer handling and long tread life these tires excel and no need to purchase snow tires, rims, and do seasonal changes. Kal Tire in Canada also gives free tire rotations.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Wow, looks like those sorry OE brands (Hankook and Bridgestone) did fairly well compared to the fat boy brand.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, looks like those sorry OE brands (Hankook and Bridgestone) did fairly well compared to the fat boy brand.
The Hankooks are performing OK on my CRV, better then OEMs on my gen3 did. I have no experience with Bridgestone OEMs.

But I have to say the Hankooks on my wifes Accord are outstanding in every way ... which is surprising since they only cost about $110 each retail (we know this because she lost one recently to a road hazard and had to have it replaced).

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
I have no complaints about the Hankooks on our V.......16K+ miles almost look new. The Hankooks have really been ragged on in this forum.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The Hankooks are performing OK on my CRV, better then OEMs on my gen3 did. I have no experience with Bridgestone OEMs.

But I have to say the Hankooks on my wifes Accord are outstanding in every way ... which is surprising since they only cost about $110 each retail (we know this because she lost one recently to a road hazard and had to have it replaced).

Top 5 from that list:Country of corporate ownership:

France
Germany
Germany
China
South Korea

Just an FYI.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pretty much useless to give brand ratings when individual tire models can vary so much and many brands have their dogs and their champs.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pretty much useless to give brand ratings when individual tire models can vary so much and many brands have their dogs and their champs.
That same logic could be applied to ranking of vehicle brands as well, yet they do serve a purpose at a high level.

If you bothered to read what was posted, or follow any of the links to the free viewing pages at CR... you would see that they not only rank by brand overall.. but also list specific models for each brand that CR rates as recommended buys (which is the same as a CR giving a (y) (y) .

There is more nuance even that this... because any given top pick model of a tire within a brand, may NOT be recommended for every size and vehicle category of tire. Hence the need to read the actual CR details about each brands model of tire.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My TIA/ASE shop recommended the Bridgestone for our 2012, but I heard the OEM Bridgestone isn't as good as the aftermarket... not sure if that's true. So far, so good. As with any tire, the trick is to keep them rotated every 5,000 miles and they will last a while ;)

·
Registered
609 Posts
[/QUOTE
So
The list is what it is, and true for what it represents. I however agree 100%, no company makes the ‘best’ tires, and as you pointed out, the ‘best’ brands make some real dogs, but still get the premium $ because people will pay for the name.

·
2,796 Posts
You have to be a member at CR online in order to see all the nitty gritty details. But I thought it would be valuable to paste the top level conclusions from CR for 2020 in tires.... since Tires are ALWAYS a passionate topic of discussion in our forum. :)

Tire Brand Report Card (ranked order, based on composite score, out of 100)

Michelin 71
Continental 70
General 69
Pirelli 66
Nexen 65
Goodyear 65
Hankook 65
Bridgestone 65
Yokohama 64
Falken 64
Cooper 63
Firestone 62
Kumho 62
Nokian 62
BFGoodrich 62
laufenn 61
GT Radial 61
Toyo 61
Nitto 60
Uniroyal 57

No. 1: Michelin. Score: 71.

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+

Michelin tires are at or near the top of ratings in each category they compete in. Most models have a good blend of grip, handling, and long wear. The Michelin CrossClimate + all-weather tire fits this mold with uncompromising performance, making it a very good choice for all types of driving conditions. The Michelin Pilot Sport 4s is a top-rated ultra-high-performance summer tire with impressive levels of grip and handling to supplement any sports car.

Recommended Michelin Tires
• All-season: Defender T+H
• All-season performance: CrossClimate +
• UHP summer: Pilot Sport 4s
• UHP all-season: Pilot Sport A/S 3+
• Truck all-season: Premier LTX, Defender LTX M/S
• Truck all-terrain: LTX A/T 2
• Winter/snow: X-Ice XI3
• Performance winter/snow: Pilot Alpin PA4
• Truck winter/snow: Latitude X-Ice XI2

No. 2: Continental. Score: 70.

Continental CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus

Many Continental models are recommended, and all place high in our ratings. The latest tested Continental ExtremeContact Sport placed second in ratings and rivals the impressive Michelin Pilot Sport 4s, but it sells at a lower price.

Recommended Continental Tires
• Performance all-season: PureContact LS
• UHP summer: ExtremeContact Sport
• Truck all-season: CrossContact LX20 EcoPlus
• Truck all-terrain: TerrainContact A/T
• Winter/snow: WinterContact SI

No. 3: General. Score: 69.

General Altimax RT43

General is a second-tier brand owned by Continental. It sells tires at a lower price, without the road hazard and roadside assistance frills. But there is no skimping on performance. In recent years, General tires are at or near the top in our ratings. Its latest tested tires are the ultra-high-performance all-season tire, the General G-Max AS-05, and the ultra-high-performance summer tire, the General G-Max RS. Both are recommended and place third in their respective categories.

Recommended General Tires
Source for the Full Review: Best Tire Brands of 2020 (CR membership required to see it though).
This is great! Thank you for posting it. I've moved it to the Tires, Wheels, & Suspension Section and will make it a sticky, so that everyone gets the chance to see it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My 2020 has Hankook and I like them better than the Bridgestones that I had on both my 2019 and Equinox. I thought my 2018 CRV was very noisy on the highway and now 2020 seems less.

·
2,796 Posts
Just be aware that Hankook tires are Asian and of poor quality in general.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts