Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello... I am new to the forum and I wanted to learn most that I could about the 1st gen CRV...

I have a 99 CRV right now under my care... it was initially used by my brother and was passed on to my niece as her first ride in HS... now my niece is in college and lucky her, she now drives a bnew CRV... anyhow, I asked my brother if I could keep it since I have some guests coming to town soon, and I will take care of selling it for him when my guests leave... for the 2 weeks I've used it, there is an oddly sense of enjoyment... definitely not for the lack of power it has, but something about the way it drives and how I can clearly see the road ahead of me...

I know for a fact that this certain CRV has had its timing belt done less than 30k miles ago so I at least have some years to spare before I have to redo it... the car does not have any leaks at all and was maintained as it should... not like so many abused cars used by high schoolers, this particular vehicle has been cared for... but with age, there are certainly some nuisances...

a small rust spot has developed on the left rear corner of the quarter panel, and some bubbling are starting to visibly appear on the right rear corner quarter panel... I may be able to easily doctor it by scraping the rust to the metal, apply some bondo, sand and touch up paint... overall the interior is decent, except for the tear in the passenger seat pocket...

this by no means is one of my dream car ever... nonetheless, I don't know why I am even considering of keeping it... is it because I know I can get it for cheap... is it because I am looking for a car that I can treat like a toy and let my 7 yo son work use it as a learning platform about cars...??? but on hindsight, I know keeping it as an extra car also equates to added insurance cost, registration, county taxes, and gas... I really don't know...

If I do decide to keep the car, what are the necessary things I need to know? How easy/hard is it to tastefully make it "look" clean and tidy... not overly aggressive on the cosmetics, but dressed up to be a nice looking daily car... and about how much should I consider in putting into it to make this a reality?

Forget about any engine upgrades as I have no lust for horsepowers and whatnot, I just want to make sure it is reliable as ever... how reliable is the automatic transmission on this car, and the engine itself? Can a willing DIYer be able to meet the demands of keeping this car road worthy?

Sorry for the long post... but I do appreciate your insights...

·
Registered
2016 CR-V EX-L
164 Posts
You didn't say how many miles were on the car but overall it sounds like it has had some care given that the timing belt was changed.

A lot of this depends upon your needs/wants versus your abilities and the associated dollars involved in keeping/maintaining/upgrading the vehicle. From a financial standpoint determine what the base annual expenditures will be for insurance and taxes whether you drive 1 mile or 10,000 miles. If that monthly figure fits into the budget you've cleared the first step.

Moving on from there look at what actual operating expenses will be and begin to get an idea of what you will need to spend to fix the items you noted in your post. If you have done some basic bodywork/painting in the past what you detail shouldn't be very expensive. If on the other hand you'll be taking this to the shop down the street the cost of admission gets higher quickly.

The first couple of generations were pretty durable/reliable and that is why we still see so many of them on the road. They were also pretty simple and as such would make a good platform for helping educate future driver's in regards to the responsibilities associated with vehicle ownership.

Good Luck with your decision!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You didn't say how many miles were on the car but overall it sounds like it has had some care given that the timing belt was changed.

A lot of this depends upon your needs/wants versus your abilities and the associated dollars involved in keeping/maintaining/upgrading the vehicle. From a financial standpoint determine what the base annual expenditures will be for insurance and taxes whether you drive 1 mile or 10,000 miles. If that monthly figure fits into the budget you've cleared the first step.

Moving on from there look at what actual operating expenses will be and begin to get an idea of what you will need to spend to fix the items you noted in your post. If you have done some basic bodywork/painting in the past what you detail shouldn't be very expensive. If on the other hand you'll be taking this to the shop down the street the cost of admission gets higher quickly.

The first couple of generations were pretty durable/reliable and that is why we still see so many of them on the road. They were also pretty simple and as such would make a good platform for helping educate future driver's in regards to the responsibilities associated with vehicle ownership.

Good Luck with your decision!
Ahh... finally... thanks for chiming in...
The car has 175000 miles currently... ironically, the car has been sitting in our parking since I have yet to get it insured... I'm still on the fence on what to do with it... I might just have to sell it after January...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Keep it, they clean up great and as you know from your own experience driving it they have a great feel to them.

Just watch the rust (coat it so it doesn't grow), have the car valeted and detailed(a nice fresh start) , the small cuts and issues all sorted one time and go for it. They are widely known for being ridiculously reliable, hence low relative running costs.

And they also look good, the design is very timeless and "current", when people see my 99 they can't believe its 20yrs old , even the interior doesn't look dated, it's smartly appointed :D

·
Registered
122 Posts
I own a '98 and am going to give you an alternate opinion about first gen CRV's. First off unless you have installed a blue-tooth, NAV system for connectivity it is likely the vehicle will not be of interest to the current generation of drivers who desire those accessories so they can "stay connected." Also you will be approaching the time when some major suspension parts will need to be changed and if you are handy and have the tools and space you could do some yourself but if you have to use a mechanic to do it all then you could be looking at some expense you may not be willing to put into a vehicle of that age because you won't get the money back when you sell it. My '98 has 192K on it and the Carfax showed the AT had been replaced at 130K. Obviously yours is beyond that but ten years ago, when mine was changed, it was over $3K and that was for a rebuilt, used one. Fuel mileage does not seem to be of concern to you but compared to newer vehicles, especially hybrids, it is pretty dismal and it appears that ICE are on the endangered species list which may be a reason to unload it now instead of having a relic from by-gone days that no one else has an interest in owning. Just a few alternate thoughts that I hope will be of use to you in your decision.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts