Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

We're picking up our brand new 07 EX tomorrow and have to import it into Canada. I know that the digital panel currently displays all information in miles and F. Does anyone know if there is a way to reconfigure the display to metric system and Celsius degrees?

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i think firstly, check your V's digital panel to see if it's capable in displaying the info in metric. if it doesn't what about getting a new digital from countries that display it in metric eg. UK, australia? just a suggestion. don't know if it helps.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Warranty

Hi All,

We're picking up our brand new 07 EX tomorrow and have to import it into Canada. I know that the digital panel currently displays all information in miles and F. Does anyone know if there is a way to reconfigure the display to metric system and Celsius degrees?

Any help would be much appreciated and thanks in advance.
You actually found a dealer that will sell you one in the US ?

Did you ask about the warranty not being honored in Canada ?

You cannot change the imperial units to metric units without changing the ECU and the display.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Importing CRV from US to Canada

We did find a dealer 1.5 hours south of the border in Everett Washington. Fairly straightforward however the warranty is not valid. You can purchase an after market warranty for about $1600 CA 7 yrs 140,000km bumper to bumper. Even better than stock. We saved about $7000 so adding an extra warranty doesn't hurt too bad.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We did find a dealer 1.5 hours south of the border in Everett Washington. Fairly straightforward however the warranty is not valid. You can purchase an after market warranty for about $1600 CA 7 yrs 140,000km bumper to bumper. Even better than stock. We saved about $7000 so adding an extra warranty doesn't hurt too bad.
Which warranty company did you use ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
warranty

Honda, just called up the business office at a local dealer and that's what they offered us.

Are you looking to import a vehicle from the US?

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
Honda, just called up the business office at a local dealer and that's what they offered us.

Are you looking to import a vehicle from the US?

Did you explain to them where you purchased the vehicle?....I would make sure that you get it in writing that Honda Plus warranty will cover you.

There is a couple points in the fine print that would make me wan't to double check that there won't be any problems down the road.

Honda Plus is designed to support Hondas manufactured for the Canadian market and sold by an authorized Canadian Honda dealer.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Did you explain to them where you purchased the vehicle?....I would make sure that you get it in writing that Honda Plus warranty will cover you.

There is a couple points in the fine print that would make me wan't to double check that there won't be any problems down the road.

Honda Plus is designed to support Hondas manufactured for the Canadian market and sold by an authorized Canadian Honda dealer.
Thanks for the heads-up lizzurd...i'm defintely going to double check this and post an update once I get it cleared up.

There is another option which is to buy a service contract from the US dealer. $1500US for 4 years and 65,000 miles valid anywhere in North America north of the Mexico-US border. We'll try for the Canadian warranty before looking into this option.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hondas are definetly cheaper south of the border. I'm going to do the same thing when I get a ridgeline next year. I don't mind the imperial units. For the saving involved it's a big tradeoff.

There are dealers that will sell in the US to canadian residents.

Hell my best friends all work at a honda dealership. My local dealer is even willing to hook me up with a Buffalo dealer.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Don't Know but I heard

I heard at one time it was difficult to get US cars registered in Canada due to variation in some of the required vehicle standards.

·
Premium Member
3,658 Posts
I heard at one time it was difficult to get US cars registered in Canada due to variation in some of the required vehicle standards.
It isn't as bad as it used to be. In the past some US and Cnadian vehicles had different bumper standards. Now all the is required is that the vehicle be on the approved list for importing. DRL's must be in place, a child seat anchor and english/french SRS labels need to be in place is pretty much all that is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It isn't as bad as it used to be. In the past some US and Cnadian vehicles had different bumper standards. Now all the is required is that the vehicle be on the approved list for importing. DRL's must be in place, a child seat anchor and english/french SRS labels need to be in place is pretty much all that is needed.
I just finalized the registration and insurance of our imported CR-V...piece of cake. Took it to Canadian Tire for federal and provincial inspection. The federal inspection is free and the provincial is about $130. About 30 minutes later the car was ready...all the guy said was that there is not much to inspect on a brand new car especially since the US and Canadian standards are so similar.

Same thing with the insurance, no problems.

The biggest issues with importing a vehicle from the US to Canada is that once you purchase it and hand over the papers to the US customs the vehicle has to stay within the US for at least 72h.

Then once you get it home you have to wait again for the Register of Imported Vehicles to send you an inspection form that outlines what needs to be inspected (this of course depends on the vehicle and its age). We managed to get this form emailed to us the very next day. Good thing too becuase it really sucked having the CR-V parked at the house but not being able to drive it.

Once you get the inspection form you have to get a permit from your ICBC that will allow you to drive the car to Canadian Tire for the inspection, and it's smooth sailing from there - if you don't need any modifications.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.