Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I just purchased my first Honda CR-V yesterday. I got a 2000 SE 4-speed automatic with awd and 117k on it and I couldn't be happier with my purchase so far. In my adult life, I've only ever owned Chrysler cars and I finally got fed up enough with my most recent "boat" to try a drastic change.

Anywho, I stumbled upon this website while searching for information about how to properly maintain my new chariot, and I couldn't be happier to discover an entire community of people from which I can learn. From what I've read so far, it looks like I've made a fantastic decision. Cheers.

·
Super Moderator
2018 EX-L fwd
1,473 Posts
Welcome to the club. Great group of folks here. Like most of us here, you should have no regrets about owning & driving the "V".

Know what you mean regarding Chrysler products. Had a run of 3 mini-vans, starting in 1988. First [1988-93] totaled in rear end collision with escaped convict. Second [1993-99] went through 2 transmissions in 2 years at the end.:mad: Third [1999-08] went through 5 fuel pumps in one month the last year.:eek:

Probably asking why we owned 3. You could carry a lot of material inside. In our case, either camping gear, or school golf team equipment. First one was only model available when we wanted to purchase a mini-van. Second one we had thought about an Oddy - but this was @ the height of the Oddy's transmission troubles. Third had to buy to attend an out of state funeral.

When they ran, they were very good. Often put 14-16 hr days behind the wheel. First two towed a pop-up camper with no problems. However, when things started going south, you had better jump ship ASAP.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks to both of you. My last Chrysler was a 2000 Concorde, and year after year something major would happen at the worst possible time. I use my personal vehicle for work, and I can recall at least 5 separate occasions where I have either not been able to do my job because the 'Corde woudln't cooperate. It had a leaky transmission that nobody could seem to remedy, an inability to hold proper alignment, all of the interior electronics had died off slowly one by one ( while most would fix a CD player, I wasn't really interested nor did I have the time to perform surgery on the factory head unit), and the last straw for me personally was the air conditioning system failing repeatedly and then finally completely in the last few weeks.

I'm willing to admit that I am very rough on cars (alot of start/stop, idling and close range city driving), but I made sure that the routine maitenence was performed on that machine and it still started to deteriorate rapidly at about 90k.

I'm looking forward to babying my V and being rewarded with a long, strong vehicle life.

·
Registered
116 Posts
An industry insider once told me, several years ago, that Chrysler beat its suppliers so hard that they basically decided to screw quality. They supplied parts that "sorta" conformed to specs.

On the other hand, a guy I met a few years ago was a press operator in my area-- with assembly plants for GM, Chrysler, Honda and Toyota. He told me that for the GM and Chrys., he was to stamp at high speed and just throw product into a bin. For Honda and Toyota, he was told to visually inspect each new stamping and reject those with any defect.

I still ride my 1986 Honda V65Magna motorcycle. My wife's 2007 Accord has had only one minor problem--a broken weld on the muffler bracket. My 2011 CR-V has been excellent with only a software flash needed. My bro-in-law is on his third trouble-free CR-V and my sis-in-law's Civic is about 15 years old.

Keep in mind that all these vehicles except for the V65 are outdoors all year in harsh, salty, Canadian winters and hot summers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.