Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an opportunity to get a 2005 2wd with transmission problems. Right now there is a 2006 4wd in the salvage yard. They have the same 5 speed transmissions in then that I can see. The 2006 has the transfer box on its tranny. Can I just grab the rest of the parts rearward and make the 2wd a 4wd vehicle then? It is a full time 4wd in the 2006? If so , no wiring would seem to be any different or ecm either. Am I right in this assumption??

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I have an opportunity to get a 2005 2wd with transmission problems. Right now there is a 2006 4wd in the salvage yard. They have the same 5 speed transmissions in then that I can see. The 2006 has the transfer box on its tranny. Can I just grab the rest of the parts rearward and make the 2wd a 4wd vehicle then? It is a full time 4wd in the 2006? If so , no wiring would seem to be any different or ecm either. Am I right in this assumption??
I'm going to say no. These kinds of things are no longer simply mechanical. There are electronic control modules involved, all of which connect to the engine's main module or computer. You would have to change all that stuff to make it work, which would likely be far more time, money, and effort than it would ever be worth. It would be way easier, and probably cheaper as well, to just sell your V and go buy the one you want.

·
Registered
2,517 Posts
Car buff is the only one that actually posted correct information. All the bad an confusing posts from others above his post arent helpful.

Kloker is only possibly correct.

If YOUR CRV has ABS your going to run into issues with just the abs possibly

If not, depending on cost of parts, it is very possible to do what you want. And not worth paying someone to do, if your doing it and parts are cheap then by all means have fun.

Realtime is 4 wheel drive and is NOT the same as AWD. Also Realtime is done in the rear differential assembly, not at the transfer unit on the transmission. (THINK carbuffs post covers all that).

You will need to compare all parts underneath to sort out what you need off the donor vehicle. Should be transmission, differential, propeller shaft (driveshaft between transmission and rear differential), all mounts, rear CV axles and possibly the rear spindle/hub assemblies. Not sure if 2wd of your year is like rest that use a bolt and nut in place of CV axle shaft and nut for the hub bearings.

Everything will pretty much bolt up, just dont loose any bolts or nuts from the parts you take off the donor crv.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,154 Posts
The 2012 video applies to a 2006 as well ?!
Mostly.

Later versions (as in 2012) added an electric clutch in the rear diff that would engage the rear wheels momentarily during take-off. On our '06, the front wheels can slide for a split-second before the rear wheels start to 'bite'.

It was all part of Honda's refinement of the system.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts