Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Personally I LOVE my Romik running board on my 3rd gen V. I'm thinking of upgrading my stock stereo to an Android auto "head unit" (as well as speakers), and maybe xenon headlights, etc. Can anyone please share what kind of aftermarket accessories that you purchased for your V, and maybe share some photos/prices/experiences, etc.? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I use a Pioneer AVH-4200NEX. It was only one of a few that Pioneer offered at the time with Android Auto. Now, you can get similar head units from Kenwood and Alpine, along with a couple others. Alpine has a neat head unit that is very shallow, and you can dock one of their power amplifiers to the rear of it and still fit it in a standard dash opening. Pioneer now also offers "media" players without an optical disc drive. I wish I had that available at the time since I haven't used discs in cars for several years.

The current Pioneers, like mine, can play lossless FLAC files, up to 24-bit/192kHz resolution, and that was a major draw for me. (Much of the recent music I buy is all in high-resolution, so I don't have to waste time converting files like I used to.) It does have a built-in amplifier but it is as anemic as the Honda OEM radio. Instead, I installed a small Kenwood KAC-M3004 class D amplifier and tucked it inside the dash, along with four Morel speakers (where I also had to stuff the crossovers inside the dash near the amp and radio), and a powered 8" Focal bombA sub in the rear.

My Pioneer (as a few others do) have two USB outputs on the rear. You can buy an accessory USB extension like this:

I ran the two wires underneath the carpeting to the center console. I removed the Auxiliary input (it pops out), then only slightly ground away a tiny portion of the rectangular opening to install this extension, and now I have both ports right in the console. On the Pioneer, one of the ports is for Android, the other for iphone. But, you can use the unused port for a USB thumb drive. I use a 512GB thumb drive in the console, and a spare Pixel phone on the other port so I can keep the phone in the car while traveling and not have to disconnect it all the time. The Pixel (which is three generations old now) works very well with the head unit, but it is really snappy with my Pixel 3.

Fortunately Honda put the radio higher up in the CR-Vs, so they work well with navigation. I've been on five major road trips and several smaller ones since getting the Pioneer and it's been a great help. I only use Android Auto for navigation, though, so I couldn't say how any of the other AA apps work.

I can't say I'm impressed with the lack of apps for AA--it seems to be mainly music and chat apps. They really need to get apps like GasBuddy, Trip Advisor, Ulysse Speedometer, BlueDriver or OBD Car Doctor, etc. that we can actually use when traveling. Even an alternate navigation app like Sygic (which I like to keep for a backup) would be welcome.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For my 08 V's I do HID retrofit, lowered the car, change all the interior light to LED bulb. If you considered xenon, I only recommend HID kit, and re-aim your headlight to not blind other driver. Don't go for LED, as the reflective housing is not design for it, your light will just scatter everywhere.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts