·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
8,565 Posts
First I've heard of an issue like that on a 2007, so no experience or tips. As a generic thing: if your replacement parts don't include new hose retainer clamps (#9) you may want to have some on hand in case you bend one of the old ones.

Regards burping the cooling system, a small amount of air will be expelled as you drive. Note the level of the blue coolant in the plastic overflow reservoir, and keep it above the MIN line when cold. You will need to check it for several drive cycles. Holding the warmed-up engine in a lower gear to increase the RPMs will help to quickly purge any air.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hehe yeah its wierd, perhaps I'll get pictures of it when I look at it next.

And that's good to hear about the coolant, I asked that because on this Pontiac Bonneville a family member had, there was an air purge plug on it near the top of the cooling system on a pipe. You would just crack that open and let it bubble and weep fluid for a little while and that would work most of it.

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
If its not leaking coolant, nothing to worry about.

If it is, its insanely straight forward, swap the tube assembly out. Just take you time so you dont break any sensors or plastic bits around it. Like the cam sensors are almost directly beneath it.

The "purge air" issue above that is the difficult and technically wrong way to purge air from a coolant system. Never rely on the overflow bottle for anything regarding service of a vehicle. If the hose going from the radiator to the bottle is damaged in any way you fan have problems.

Very simple to do, after any part replacement that requires opening the coolant system, refill radiator as much as it will hold.

-Start the engine and let it idle along with occasionally revving the engine to 2-3000rpm briefly. Add more coolant to radiator as needed.
-As engine warms coolant may expand and start pushing out the radiator. At which point go ahead and put the cap back on.
-Shut it off and start to loosen cap. If it pushes coolant out just tighten it back up. If not take it off and top off radiator.
-fill overflow tank to "Max" at this point. Max is where it should be when engine is warm

Do NOT use any generic or random universal antifreeze with Honda blue antifreeze. There is antifreeze that states its compatible specifically, use that if you dont want to use Honda antifreeze. But dont use the "works in all cars, all coolant types" stuff. Its green antifreeze with a couple changes so it doesnt react with high mileage orange/pink antifreezes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yessir! I installed a replacement and then put in some Honda blue coolant to top it off. It really didn't spill much, although it did appear to do so. It's a strange rust spot for sure. Maybe a piece of salt or something sat there for a time...I don't know. Ah well, it's got a new piece installed now.
I was initially worried that the smaller coolant line had been weeping into the intake tube, but I didn't detect that when I closed up one side and blew on the other side. It just seemed to be coming out of the rusted area to the outside.
There also seem to be two ports on throttle body that take coolant? Those seem to be surface rusted a little as well and have some rust flakes on them...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts