Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 CR-V with 79,000 miles on it. Nothing in the owner's manual says anything about when to change the coolant. Who knows how often it needs to be done? Also, is it necessary to use the Honda brand?

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Just to be on the safe side, replace it every 3 years. It would be the best to use OEM Honda. If you dont want to use OEM Honda be sure you only use the Green or Ethylene Glycol type. DO NOT use the Orange=Dexcool. It will damage the cooling system. Prestone Makes good qualtiy coolant. If you opt to get the concentrated one , be sure you use Distilled water for mixing it, when its time to dilute it. I always say , its cheaper to replace the coolant than replacing the water pump or the heater matrix. If you can also drain the engine block of coolant. Let me know.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For Gen 3's the interval is 5 years / 120k miles (shows up as subcode 5 on Maint Minder) . As stated above, the blue Honda coolant is the best and isn't prohibitively expensive (I actually got mine on Amazon). It's a pretty easy job to do yourself - just remember to set the heater temp to high so the coolant empties out of the heater core as well. As with most other Honda fluids, they recommend NOT to actually "flush" the system out - all you need to do is empty the old coolant and refill with new (no need to dilute - use full strength). The other thing is that these engines tend to take a while to burp all the air out, so keep an eye on the reservoir for a few days after the change and keep topping it off. When I did mine the radiator fan didn't kick in as frequently as usual for about 2 days while the air worked it's way out, but that's pretty common and no reason to panic.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks to Otto888man, Coastie05, and TomKatt for your response on the coolant change frequency & brand. I drained and refilled with the blue antifreeze and it was relatively easy. I noticed that the blue fluid left the radiator and recovery tank a lot cleaner looking that the standard green coolant I have used in previous other cars.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts