Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Honda CRV EX UK Made
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello all!

As an update to this thread:

Just wanted to let you know that the Honda local dealer recently lowered the price for the coolant jugs to $21 each, so I took advantage of this and bought 3 jugs.

I have just drained the old coolant today (seems very light green, but very clear and consistent), and filled up with Honda Blue coolant.

I followed the instructions provided by @fishycomics and @Carbuff2 for replacing coolant (including the 15 minutes engine on and then turn the engine off for another 15 minutes for the heat to soak the thermostat and provide better flow). I also took good care of draining the coolant reservoir as well and filled it up with blue Honda.

I just finished the process and the V behaved very well. I actually took a look inside the coolant reservoir and it was bleeding the air as there were bubbles coming from the radiator.
Jaw Water Eyelash Audio equipment Rim

I will try to re-do this process in around one week (I ony have time on the weekends) as it will ensure that all the previous coolant was drained out of the engine.

Thanks all for the help!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Before I give you some more comments and tips can I ask why are you going to repeat the process?

Sent from my BBD100-1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before I give you some more comments and tips can I ask why are you going to repeat the process?

I will repeat the process because the engine had another coolant (ligth green) which I am not sure what it is, so I want to be completely sure to drain the old coolant as much as I can and ensure that the engine only has the blue OEM coolant.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I will repeat the process because the engine had another coolant (ligth green) which I am not sure what it is, so I want to be completely sure to drain the old coolant as much as I can and ensure that the engine only has the blue OEM coolant.
Honda says if improper fluids were used, you will need to flush it. This is one of those rare occasions that Honda says to pay for the complete flush.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Honda says if improper fluids were used, you will need to flush it. This is one of those rare occasions that Honda says to pay for the complete flush.
In a few words, that is the reason why I will drain the coolant and fill it again.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Don't know where it is but there must be a drain valve for a complete (engine block) drain. The rest of coolant I usually stick a hose in the one end of the radiator and use running clear water with little pressure. Usually at the lower inlet of radiator. I stop when I see clear water coming out. Don't forget that there are many parts holding coolant, like evaporator, oil cooler etc... Don't overdo it. It cannot be completely flushed.
About the air you can let it sit for a while until air bubbles find their way out / up. Also you can look for the air/overfill Valve on the beginning of the hose leaving the expansion tank.
Last after you done, go for a 15-25' ride, you will notice that the coolant in the reservoir went low, because all the parts mentioned above got the necessary coolant during operation so you need to top-up.
Good choice on the Prestone, for my Hondas, I use Glysantin.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Don't know where it is but there must be a drain valve for a complete (engine block) drain. The rest of coolant I usually stick a hose in the one end of the radiator and use running clear water with little pressure. Usually at the lower inlet of radiator. I stop when I see clear water coming out. Don't forget that there are many parts holding coolant, like evaporator, oil cooler etc... Don't overdo it. It cannot be completely flushed.
About the air you can let it sit for a while until air bubbles find their way out / up. Also you can look for the air/overfill Valve on the beginning of the hose leaving the expansion tank.
Last after you done, go for a 15-25' ride, you will notice that the coolant in the reservoir went low, because all the parts mentioned above got the necessary coolant during operation so you need to top-up.
Good choice on the Prestone, for my Hondas, I use Glysantin.

I actually used Honda OEM, not prestone.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I would be curious as to what suppliers Honda uses for the antifreeze. I know for oils and trans/diff fluids, it's like four or five different suppliers.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would be curious as to what suppliers Honda uses for the antifreeze. I know for oils and trans/diff fluids, it's like four or five different suppliers.
I know that for transmission fluids, it could be either Idemitsu or Eonon, but I don't know who is the supplier for coolant.

Enviado desde mi Redmi Note 8 Pro mediante Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 CR-V EX-L Hybrid
91 Posts
This is a great move. I always use OEM. Radiators and cooling systems are too expensive to risk a premature leak because a different coolant was used. They know what the system needs so I just use the OEM fluid. Too many expensive memories to risk it.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I read online from another forum that mentioned if there is some green you can mix blue into the solution but not the other way around.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I read online from another forum that mentioned if there is some green you can mix blue into the solution but not the other way around.
I actually preffer to drain an fill again to get rid of the green as much as possible.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would also do that as well but though that might cause leaks in the drain plug as well.
Hopefully there will be no issues at this second time as I don't force the drain plug and as, after this, I will drain and fill the coolant again in around 5 years.

·
Registered
251 Posts
This is one reason i always use the honda fluid, i dont know if i am so paranoid with the others. I just replaced mne with that blue color. I flushed the system a couple of times with distilled water and then fill it up with that fluid. So far, i never had issues with any heating issues or components for about 10 years since i have this car

Reactions: otto33

·
Registered
193 Posts
Hello all!

As an update to this thread:

Just wanted to let you know that the Honda local dealer recently lowered the price for the coolant jugs to $21 each, so I took advantage of this and bought 3 jugs.

I have just drained the old coolant today (seems very light green, but very clear and consistent), and filled up with Honda Blue coolant.

I followed the instructions provided by @fishycomics and @Carbuff2 for replacing coolant (including the 15 minutes engine on and then turn the engine off for another 15 minutes for the heat to soak the thermostat and provide better flow). I also took good care of draining the coolant reservoir as well and filled it up with blue Honda.

I just finished the process and the V behaved very well. I actually took a look inside the coolant reservoir and it was bleeding the air as there were bubbles coming from the radiator.
View attachment 150942

I will try to re-do this process in around one week (I ony have time on the weekends) as it will ensure that all the previous coolant was drained out of the engine.

Thanks all for the help!
if the coolant is very expensive for you, I wonder why you didn’t first use distilled water as your flush instead of new coolant?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if the coolant is very expensive for you, I wonder why you didn’t first use distilled water as your flush instead of new coolant?
Hi there!

Because they lowered the price for the coolant and also because distilled water is not very common down here.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts