Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys is the coolant overflow bottle also where you check coolant level also should this have fluid in ? Mine is completely emtpy and looks like there was once either rust or red/pink/orange coolant .......and now... what lookes like yellow/green in the radiator ......should I top up with green coolant ....or flush the system ?

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Yes, the bottle should always have a 50/50 mix of coolant in it. The bottle should have factory marks of some kind.....min/max, cold/hot, fluid marks/levels of some kind.

The only way you will know, 100% sure, that you have a good 50/50 coolant mix is to drain the cooling system (preferably the block as well) and re-fill with a 50/50 mix. When re-filling a cooling system, add fresh coolant, properly mixed, very, very, very, slowly. Does your motor have a "bleeder" port(s)?......open it/them when refilling, close them when coolant flows out. Also. I can't stress enough the importance of a properly functioning pressure cap. Check coolant level daily, MOTOR COLD, for several days after a coolant re-fill as air will "bleed" out of the cooling system and coolant level could then be a little low.

If your vehicle has both a bottle cap AND a cap on the radiator, check the coolant level in the radiator, MOTOR COLD. Coolant level in the radiator, MOTOR COLD, should up at the very top of the neck of the radiator. Coolant level in the bottle is a visual check.....not too full (to allow for expansion when hot), not empty or else air will enter the cooling system.

The Prestone Extended Life bottle says "all makes, any color".

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Yes, I believe the bottle's full mark is at about 1/3 full. Orange is not really good as the factory Honda coolant would have been blue. I have had green in mine for a while now with no issues yet. I think the orange type stuff is more for Dexcool which you don't want. Red might be more universal. I think all of the engine parts for you are aluminum, so I don't think you should see any rust discoloration. The bottle can be pulled straight up to dump it, just remove the cap and hoses and you can pull it up and rinse it out. The radiator also has a drain at the bottom if you want to change that fluid.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Coolant all done did a full flush thanks for the replies guys...now I have to find out what's making a rubbing sounds when the brakes warm up and a whining sound when at low speed ....it's one thing after another on this CRV ....but it has a certain charm

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
12,171 Posts
Don't forget to check the **COLD** level over the next week or so. As air bubbles purge, the level will drop.

Be aware that Generation1 Vs could suffer from cracked plastic radiators so look carefully for signs of leakage. (Or, borrow a free loaner pressure tester from an autoparts store)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts