Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
If you are just draining the radiator then refilling (as Honda recommends after 100K miles or 10 years), it is best to use Honda Type II (blue) coolant, as you will only be replacing half of it.

We've practiced what we preach...

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
FWIW, the Prestone Extended Life jug says "Any Make, Any Model, Any Color".🤷‍♂️ I've mixed Prestone with Toyota coolant that has red food color.......zero, zip, nada issues. Since Prestone says "Any Color", I would think it would mix with blue food color just fine.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
How old and how biased is that Honda article? Prestone Extended Life antifreeze/coolant, and other brands of antifreeze/coolant, have been silicate, phosphate, borate and nitrite free for probably 10 years now. I don't think Honda invented the aluminum water cooled motor or silicate free antifreeze/coolant.

Honda suits and ties, sitting around big conference room tables, probably said "hey, let's tell our outside supplier of antifreeze/coolant to use blue food color" just to be different from the extended life antifreeze/coolant that has used green/yellow food color for many, many years. Is blue food color itself more expensive?........doubt it.🤷‍♂️

·
Everything in Moderation
7,918 Posts
There is a difference between "can be mixed without harm" and "Will perform as well as original".

I know that Prestone says on the bottle "Up to 5 years or 150,000 miles of protection * " BUT in the fine print says " * with a complete flush and fill per manufacturers' recommendations" which implies to me that mixing provides less performance/protection.

I agree that formulations have been updated in the past decade (Honda went to Type II in 2002), but still, some makers recommend OAT, some HOAT, and even Prestone sells a variation for use in Dex-COOL systems.

So I guess the disclaimer YMMV applies!!!!

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I do not see anywhere on the Prestone bottle or on their website (probably other brands as well) saying "mixing provides less performance/protection".🤷‍♂️

Sure, Prestone (and other brands) want you to buy their version of cooling system cleaner and flush crud from the cooling system. No where do I see it stated that doing a simple drain/re-fill "(mixing) provides less performance/protection". If that was the case, the doors would be wide open to the 1-800-Dewey-Cheatum-Andhow good ol' boys.

Completely flushing/draining a cooling system (everywhere coolant flows) is impossible......unless the engine is pulled and disassembled, heater core replaced, radiator replaced/rodded/tanked.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
Blue oil,......no? Don’t forget the blue air in the tires. Thank goodness Walmart sells blue washer fluid. Wonder why Honda brake fluid isn’t blue? Just joking. Post #2 pretty much answered/nailed/ended this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts