Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I'm new to this site. Have a 2002 CRV, LX, CRV, 222k, original owner. Have noticed that my cooling fans are not working. Tried numerous fixes and still not working. Both fans do come on but via A/C circuit only, but do not w/o AC on. Motor not overheating (but plenty hot) and gauge still reads normal, but fans are not coming on. Today was a hot day and idling for more than 20mins, no cooling fans.

Recently replaced radiator (was old and leaky), same for tstat housing (old and leaky). Fuses all good, replaced lower temp sensor twice (base of radiator) and today the upper temp sensor, still same result, wiring looks good, no broken or frayed wires....any suggestions? Trying to avoid a troubleshooting big bill from dealership. Thanks.

·
Registered
895 Posts
If they both come on with the ac, only thing it could be is the temp switch or broken wire. These engines are pretty good about getting rid of heat. It may not be getting hot enough to turn them on. Maybe get in it and run it kind of hard after the gauge reads normal temp. Then stop and let it sit at idle. Maybe increase the rpm a little for a bit and see if they come on. Just watch the gauge. Don’t want to overheat it if the temp switch isn’t working.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
BDub, I drove the car ~15 miles yesterday in the heat, came back popped the hood and let it idle another 15 mins and no cooling fans.

I also checked/swapped out the underhood relay (with AC circuit relay) and its good, also unplugged and jumpered the lower radiator temp sensor connector with a paperclip and the fans come on (w/o AC), so this tells me the wiring is good. BTW, I replaced the lower sensor (2x) as I assumed first one was bad, made no difference.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,516 Posts
Have you topped-up the coolant since your rad/thermostat work? (Takes about 5 - 6 drives/two weeks before the reservoir level stops dropping. Higher RPM helps to drive air bubbles out of the system, as well.)

Do you have an OEM 'stat installed? (Aftermarket thermostats seem to make our engines run hot.)

If you have access to an OBD reader, you can monitor the actual temp of the coolant (independent of the gauge) as you drive.

Non-A/C fan actuation on my '06 happens at about 205F. Highway driving maintains a temp of ~ 195F, and it would creep up a few minutes after leaving the freeway.

Around town at 30 - 50 MPH, the thermostat would keep operating temperature around 185F.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sounds like you have covered everything. Honestly, everything is probably fine. When mine is idling at operating temperature it takes a good 20-30 minutes sitting there before they come on. Sit in park and hold the engine speed between 2-3k rpm, like you would during an idle relearn. Should speed the process. And as Buff said, make sure you are good on coolant.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Fan.jpg

Here is a test procedure for the fan switch in the radiator. The electrical drawing states that it is closed above 199 degrees F. If you have a OBD scanner that will display live data, you can check your coolant temperature there and get an idea of what its doing before I pulled it out to test it. The upper temp sensor in the head is the one that reports to the PCM.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, coolant and reservoir all good and topped off, tstat housing assembly was an aftermarket version. Will check out actual temp OBD suggestion does a standard reader have temp capability? BTW, my gauge never goes about normal mid-point at any time.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
9,516 Posts
BTW, my gauge never goes about normal mid-point at any time.
Can't go by that, the gauge is 'dampened' at the NORMAL area (just below half) so it is not a good indicator.

Both my OBDII readers (Scangauge, GArmin EcoRoute) will read temps in my cars...

·
Registered
895 Posts
Yeah. Depends on the reader. If it will show live data, it will for sure. Some will just show basic stuff, which should include coolant temp. FYI, I checked mine earlier. Fans didn’t come on until about 210-212 degrees.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
An update, connected OBD-II, and highest live data temp I seeing is about 192-195F even after idling for ~20mins after a long drive.....still no cooling fans. Confirmed new tstat is a Stant at 172F. Will retry on hotter day to see if I can get to 200-205. New radiator seems very efficient.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Finally got a really hot day, fans came on around 201F, all good, thanks for the help and OBDII suggestion.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts