Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2008 CRV, 2.4 L engine. It's a Mexican model..made and purchased in Mexico, where I live.

I've noticed that when I'm stuck in traffic for a while, the A/C seems to turn off until I get rolling again. No sign of the engine getting hotter.

This might be related to the cooling fans. How are they supposed to operate? Is one supposed to come on and off with the A/C compressor? Or is it on a thermostat? I have the left side fan operating with a warm engine and the right hand one isn't on at all with a normally hot engine and the A/C running.

I haven't checked the fuses yet. That's my next step. Is there also a relay in the circuit?

Thanks for any help. My Spanish isn't good enough to explain this to a mechanic.

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Welcome to the forum! The fans or at least one of them should come ON when the a/c is on. The other one for the engine should come ON when the engine starts to heat up more than the operating temperature. You could have an Aftermarket a/c fuel saving relay under the hood. Did you bought this CRV brand new? When you first started the engine & run it for a few minutes then turn on the a/c does the a/c comes on with the fan running? Let me know.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum, good advice from otto888man, one fan should come on when temperature rises, the other fan should come on when ac is selected and stay running until ac cycles when desired temperature is reached. JMHO and good luck.
David g.

·
Registered
895 Posts
Sometimes both of the fans will come on and run with the a/c. Just depends on the conditions. As for the a/c turning on and off, when the thermostat inside the vehicle is satisfied it will shut the compressor off. Then come back on when the thermostat calls for it.

You may want to go somewhere and have the refrigerant checked. They have pressure switches that will shut them off if it gets too low and possibly if pressure is too high. But unless you have tried to add any refrigerant, that may not be the case. The tolerance for the refrigerant charge is pretty tight.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts