What next
rad cap
pump
headgasket

·
Registered
52 Posts
I think you have 98
those early ones have a tendency to leak at the radiator welds on top. I know my 2000 EX did
found coolant at top of radiator. easy enough to get one at napa and change it out in couple hours.
all good now

check the radiator for leaks.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
would I not lose pressure if it was leaking? rather than it building up? im not sure if the coolant is spraying out the cap at high pressure rather than returning to the expansion bottle.

if I remove the cap and release the hot coolant and pressure, replace the cap and I can squeeze the hoses easily and feel it rushing past the thermostat and warming the bottom hose.

ill check for leaks. replace cap and see what happens.

the only Honda ive ever owned that had so many issues so soon.

·
Registered
3,693 Posts
Magnumpii,
What could a person do if the belt (timing) was slipping at the water pump besides replace the timing belt, tensioner and waterpump?

Since the lower hose is cold, it sure indicates that the coolant is not circulating through the system.
If the lower hose gets warm when the rad pressure is relieved and the hoses are squeezed, that is another indication of the water pump not pumping coolant through the system. Why? That is the question.
Yes, you 'gradually' might lose pressure if the radiator had a small leak at the tank joint.
If you shut off your CRV (after it is at operating temp) and let it sit for 20 min or so, is there any pressure when you then take off the radiator cap?
Perhaps your temp gauge is not working properly.
Perhaps your radiator fans are working either. You may have multiple problems.
Perhaps your radiator also needs to be replaced.
Perhaps your timing belt and water pump also need replacing.
Thoroughly clean the area where the coolant appears. Try to pinpoint where it is coming from.
Buffalo4

·
Registered
209 Posts
just another thing to look for . . . if the water pump operates when eng is running & belts are proper tension.
With the rad cap off and coolant present you should be able to see coolant flow. . . . pump is working.
Jump the temp sensor . . . . are the fans working?

What year is this machine ?

·
Registered
901 Posts
Headgasket is easy to tell. You will have swollen or oversized hoses and you wlll not be able to press them

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hard to tell if the water is flowing as the rad has the black plastic at the top.

Temp gauge is working fine as far as i can tell due to it over heating slighly during coolant change.

Fans dont ever come on unless i jump the switch

I removed the lower rubber seal on the cap to allow the pressure to escape to the expansion bottle. I still notice steam at the radiator hard to pin point the leak but i put some leak seal in and ill see how that goes.

Suppose ill need to check pump.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok i can feel the water rushing by the thermostat with the engine running.

Ive bypassed the fan switch for now and will try a replacement cap and switch see how that goes.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Drove the front up onto the path. Removed cap and squeezed both hoses. Had no air that i noticed. As the engine was running.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did notice the rad filling up faster than normal when replacing coolant. Not sure if that means anything

1 - 13 of 13 Posts