Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a small leak but not all the time, replaced radiator still leaking I cannot seem to find where but it looks like possibly coolant overflow tank cap any one had this issue?

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Could be the small hose between the radiator and the reserve tank has rubbed a hole in it. Also with the engine warmed up after driving for a while give the top large hose a wiggle and see if anything sprays out around the clamp.

It could also be possible that you got a defective radiator.

·
Everything in Moderation
8,174 Posts
Rather than speculate, you should perform a pressure test on a cold cooling system. If you are in the USA, many auto parts stores can provide a loaner pressure-test tool for no cost (you just leave a deposit).

The overflow reservoir is not pressurized. But you need to assure that the hose connecting it to the radiator is not clogged, and that the connections are tight. (If the hose ends are not tight the system will suck in air instead of coolant as it cools down.)

Another thing to check is the connection of the radiator pressure cap and the radiator neck. Occasionally they don't mate correctly, allowing leakage.

·
Administrator
3,344 Posts
Check all the visible hoses, including those going to the heater inside the car. At 10 years of age, rubber will be aging rapidly and start to require replacement.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Georgia Dawg country. Let me make a suggestion, on a cold engine remove the radiator cap and start the engine and let it get up to normal temperature so it can BURP the air out of the system. Don't forget to turn on the HEATER selector to burp it as well. This should take 15-20 minutes, before shutting the engine off, slowly add coolant to the radiator leaving about an inch below the filler neck, once you cannot add any more coolant, put the cap back on and make sure your overflow tank is on the mark. JMHO and this will work for you, be patient.
David g...............:eek:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts