Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,858 Posts
The USA CVT does not get a provision to easily add an auxiliary tranny cooler to the CVT. CRVs in some other countries do get the provision along with a Honda stacked plate tranny cooler.:( The CVT runs toasty compared to traditional auto trannies. I've observed temps well north of 200F.

· Registered
2,858 Posts
Honda thinks CVT temps are perfectly normal (nothing to "work out").....if Honda is good with it, I'm good with it. All I'm saying is, the CVT (our 1st) runs toastier than traditional auto trannies I've monitored in past vehicles over the years. Also, this is the 1st vehicle we've owned that has no tranny cooler at all. It has a so called "warmer", but not a cooler.

All of our other past vehicles, with traditional auto trannies, had the factory tranny cooler located inside the cold radiator tank.....making it very easy to install a secondary auxiliary tranny cooler inline with and after the factory cooler.

· Registered
2,858 Posts
The CVT is not not connected to the radiator in any, form or fashion. Not on the Gen 5 1.5L CRV anyhow. The Gen 5 CRV, has a so-called "warmer". What the warmer does, I don't have a clue. The tranny temp can easily be 100*F below coolant temp for quite a while after the engine coolant has reached/holds at +/-180*F. Eventually the tranny temp will reach engine temp and continue to climb well past engine temp........by +/-40*F from what I have observed/monitored. Others have as well.

The so-called tranny "warmer" in/out connects to the engine block, or maybe the head......kinda hard to tell just looking. Does not connect to the radiator, which makes sense. The radiator is totally out of the cooling system "loop" until the engine coolant t-stat opens.

· Registered
2,858 Posts
I thought Honda has some of the best CVTs out there.......and has for quite some time now, no?

· Registered
2,858 Posts
Time will tell.

1 - 5 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.