Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
read that the v-tec operation/sensor on these engines can be picky with the type of oil used. I just buy what it requires, 5w20, got the synthetic blend higher mileage (75000+). just got the thing and it's been dealer maintained since new, that was what I put in for my first oil change and the second one is coming up. with reading about the oil issue with v-tec, if it's even true, wanted to see what oil was recommended on here.

·
Not-a-Mechanic
2011 CR-V 4WD EX
483 Posts
They're not quite as picky as it might seem, I've read the same V in different countries list slightly different oil, but use whatever Honda recommends for your model. Newer ones are 0-20w full synthetic.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
dont use high mileage oil.

dont use anything more than 5w30

best to stick with reputable brands

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
Picky???
First time I've ever seen that word associated with a Honda vtec engine. Been on Honda forums for over 14 years....

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Despite what Tigris99 said, I've used various weights over the 185K miles on our '06. (I'm a sucker for sales & rebates) :beb:

0w-20
5w-20
0w-30
5W-30
0W-40

All synthetic.

No issues (and I change oil every 6000 - 7000 miles)

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Not sure why "despite", guess I Should have been more clear in my wording:

"DONT USE ANYTHING THICKER/HEAVIER THAN 5W30"

Vtec does not like 10w30, that's when vtec codes start popping up for no reason.

0w20 isnt a great idea however. Ok for those that drive mellow, but if you like getting the rpm up alot (hard acceleration) 0w20 will shorten engine life. It exists for 1 purpose, boost fuel economy numbers. Was not made with engine longevity in mind. Is helpful on new engines in extreme cold (sub 0F) in being a bit easier to start after sitting all night.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
I'm with Tigris. You (the OP) didn't specify the year model you have, or where you live, and recommendations are different for different years. My '07 says 05-20. I'm old school, and I use regular motor oil, not synthetic, and change it every 3,000 miles. I don't think it wise to go with much longer oil change intervals, so to me the high-mileage oil is a waste of money because I would never mistreat my engine by going that far between changes. YMMV. Where you live has a large affect also. If you are in a cold climate, thinner is better. I live in Texas, where it's hot most of the year, so my oil will be different. Extreme heat also affects how long oil will last before it starts to break down, hence my more frequent changes. That and the fact that I like to keep my oil very clean. I think Tigris nails it down pretty accurately.

Those 6-7k intervals Atwell uses might work fine in Jersey, but would never fly here, where temps exceed 90 degrees for 75% of the year and 100 for 25% or more of it. We frequently have summers where the temp stays from 100-115+ degrees for 60 to 80 days in a row. Also, we rarely have temps below 40 for more than 20 to 25% of the year. So, as you can see, location/climate has a lot to do with it. Since Tigris works on a lot of these things, I'd consider his recommendations.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
cars an '06 in northern Illinois. has 100 on it now. only got the high mileage as it was over 75000 and a syn blend, still plan on changing about every 3k/3mon. just wasn't sure if one brand was finicky with these engine, or like tigis said, don't use the high mileage stuff...

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The high mileage designation does not mean the oil is for cars with high miles on them. It means the oil is for those who want to go for a longer interval between oil changes than they would with the regular synthetic.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
CRV owners club. My favorite site for Crv haters bitching and misinformation
At least in this Topic, ALL the respondents love their CR-Vs. :Group:

OIL TOPICS on any Forum I've followed seem to produce a lot of opinions.

And we all know the saying about opinions, and what they are like. :HighFive: LOL

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
No Hondas are picky about brands. just dont use cheap stuff.

Valvoline, mobile 1 or better (I use Royal Purple because it is the one that swap past my warn valve seals the least, wifes Odyssey I run both).

I WILL NEVER EVER USE VALVOLINE MAX LIFE AGAIN THOUGH. The addatives in it promote build up (how it helps seal old seals) and engine ends up full of crap. Spent several hours tearing apart the engine in our previous car and cleaning all the crap out because it was over 100k so decided to try max life. Will never use oil for high mileage vehicles again.

Running good synthetic there is absolutely no reason to change every 3000 miles. Can if you want but I was an early adopter of synthetic oil and have had my engines look like new inside still at 150k and changing oil at 5-6000 miles. My CRV engine at 224k now just has the yellowish tint to the aluminum and that's it.

But like many, this 10 and 15k oil change intervals, nope never happening. Return to comment about other vehicle, wife went by oil life indicator, part of why the Max life made a mess even though was full synthetic. Those lights go way beyond what the engine oil life is and gunk builds up. That car is still on the road as of 2 nights ago (though wife was upset to see the girl sideswiped something with it, messed the passenger side all up).

Dont overthink brands. Stay away from cheap crap like walmarts Supertech and you'll be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
178 Posts
The high mileage designation does not mean the oil is for cars with high miles on them. It means the oil is for those who want to go for a longer interval between oil changes than they would with the regular synthetic.
How on earth did you come to that conclusion?

Sent from my mobile device

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Ya that is incorrect kloker. "High Mileage" oil is for vehicles over 75k with a ton of extra additices.

"EXTENDED PERFORMANCE" if the oil marketed for longer change intervals

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Sal and Tigris - You are absolutely right, and I stand corrected. Sorry. I musta made a wrong turn at the coffee pot. I had to go back and reread it to see it. I had the two types switched - obviously an emotional typo. Thanks for the heads up. Now I just have to get this whiteout out of my ear.

·
Registered
2,527 Posts
Sal and Tigris - You are absolutely right, and I stand corrected. Sorry. I musta made a wrong turn at the coffee pot. I had to go back and reread it to see it. I had the two types switched - obviously an emotional typo. Thanks for the heads up. Now I just have to get this whiteout out of my ear.
LMAO man you need an award for the the best post of the day!!! You need more coffee if you put whiteout in your ear instead of paper.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
Okay, but now I have another question. Sip. Sip. Why would I put paper in my ear?

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
3,776 Posts
And you had me thinking you were going for 75,000 miles between oil changes.....:)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts