Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Honda CRV 2011 with 110 K miles and Honda dealer quote $260 for replace new serpentine belt (Honda part and labor). Do you think the cost is reasonable price?
Thank you.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
No. Seems high.

I've replaced several serpentine belts (none on a 2011, though) and while they can be a pain due to access, it shouldn't be more than an hours' labor.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
The tensioner is a real beast to get to on the 3rd gen. Honda recommends a tool from Snap-On that is no longer available. There is so little space between the bolt on the idler and the frame that an ordinary ratchet will not fit. Not only that, it has to be at an odd angle in order to be able to pull the wrench (or whatever is used) towards the front. I bought a few parts to rig something together but have not tried it yet. The power steering reservoir needs to be loosened and moved out of the way at the very least.

I'd almost rather pay someone to replace the belt and the idler pulley for me...it's just hard to find a shop other than a dealer that I can trust.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
The belt itself is $36-56 depending on what dealer you use. The rest is labor. That price quote seems high to me.

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
This type of SB tool isn't any help? It's what I use. Moving the power steering reservoir (without disconnecting the hoses) isn't hard.

@Wildcat, Is it like the Snap-On tool?
With a standard socket, that particular tool will not fit between the bolt and the frame. (Although I think you can remove a motor mount to get better access, but that involves a lot of work since this motor mount is attached in a few different places, and that also involves jacking under the oil pan with a section of wood to support the engine while the mount is removed.)

A low-profile socket would probably work on that particular tool, but even then the angle of a straight tensioner bar is not correct, and will not stay square on the tensioner bolt--the bar would need to angle towards the engine slightly to stay square. The Snap-On appears to has a compound angle on it, but it's hard to tell as it's from a drawing in the service manual.

This is an example of a Honda tensioner tool:

https://www.amazon.com/Schley-Products-Honda-Serpentine-Tensioner/dp/B0054WIBI2/

Note that it has a 12-point on one end wrench on one end to fit narrow spaces, and a welded-on socket to keep the other end low-profile.

In my case, I need to remove the bolt, then remove the tensioner pulley...so I get double the fun here! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey guys, check out the youtube video called "Honda CR-V Serpentine" posted by Robert Most. He has an ingenious way of using normal tools to move the tensioner so the belt can be replaced.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,670 Posts
dapqam - Thanks for the video link. I watched it, and heck, that's easy. Not scary at all.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I just replaced my SB and tensioner this last Monday and It took me about 90 minutes or so. It wasnt hard at all. Now I have the tools and garage space to do this kinda work easily. I just removed the motor mount and then access to the tensioner was wide open. The only issue that I had was which was to get the belt in the tensioner. Its easiest to get the belt around all the pulleys and slip it behind the tensioner and not trying to get it over the top of the power steering pump. But other than that and getting my light to stay put, that was it!

From what I got quotes to do this job, it saved at least $200. It was about $150 in parts = $120 for OEM tensioner(from dealer) and $30 for a Continental gator belt(on amazon)

·
Registered
2,120 Posts
Yeah, I think I'm going to remove the motor mount when I go to replace my tensioner pulley in the spring. And I'll get a couple of belts while I'm at it and do the belts on both '09s.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I've had success using a box wrench with a pipe extension bent around 30 degrees. Lets you remove the tension on the belt without running out of space. Just did mine back in August and it took around 30 min to complete. I did not change the tensioner. Still functional at 186K

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just completed this on my 09 today. I ended up buying the tool from Amazon and the job wasn't bad at all. The Youtube video mentioned was very helpful. The only thing is I now have a great tensioner wrench I'll probably never use again! I'll probably sell it here once my post count hits 20.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts