Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, Any Canadian owners do their oil change for the CRV at Costco? Any concerns vs doing at honda?

Would they use the same oil as Honda or different brand with same specs? Does the price include the filter and is the filter a Honda filter or other brand?

·
Registered
17 CR-V LX
250 Posts
  • Hi, Any Canadian owners do their oil change for the CRV at Costco?
  • Any concerns vs doing at honda?
  • Would they use the same oil as Honda or different brand with same specs?
  • Does the price include the filter
  • is the filter a Honda filter or other brand?
  1. Im American, and no.
  2. No concerns other than a record with Honda and OEM parts installed.
  3. Honda dealers use different oils, depends on the one; don't matter really.
  4. Yes.
  5. Other brand. (maybe better? Probably Champ, I read.)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Hi, Any Canadian owners do their oil change for the CRV at Costco? Any concerns vs doing at honda?

Would they use the same oil as Honda or different brand with same specs? Does the price include the filter and is the filter a Honda filter or other brand?
they are not Honda they use what oil, should be noted. If you got no clue what they use by all means you get what you deserve. want spacifics then ask them and request, you may pay a lil extra but get the right job done.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Only Honda and Toyota Dealers seems to change the crush washer during an oil change.
As for the Oil - Honda does not make oil - they buy it from an oil company - the bulk here in Missouri has Philips 66 on it.
there is not much difference in 0W20 oil - I use Mobil One.
The dealer probably uses a high school dropout to change the oil.
I do mine myself.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
I do mine myself.
Elitest much? This pejorative used.... "high school dropouts".... is unwarranted and unnecessary. It says absolutely nothing about a persons ability to properly perform an oil service. All it does is prosecute class warfare memes.

I would submit that many high school dropouts are as smart or smarter than college educated scholars... where routine auto service is concerned. And there can be many reasons why a person does not have a high school diploma or GED... and intelligence and attention to detail is not high on the list.

In my view.. find a better and less offensive social pejorative to use as your axe upon service staff. ;)

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
you go up to the Costco Rep and deal with them not some Honda forum member acting as one. need help with the Oil Ask, we're hera to help not Pun people1

·
Registered
28 Posts
Costco in the US sells 2 5 qt (10qts) synthetic for $25 US.That's$12.50 for 5 qts. ! Their oil is made by one of the major oil producers who makes oil for top brands. If they use their own bottled oil then you can't go wrong. However, any lube center is likely using cheap filters. The filter may be more important than the oil. Buy their oil, a Wix XP filter online for $8 and change your own oil. At that price you can change it early and still save money. IMHO 😊

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Only Honda and Toyota Dealers seems to change the crush washer during an oil change.
As for the Oil - Honda does not make oil - they buy it from an oil company - the bulk here in Missouri has Philips 66 on it.
there is not much difference in 0W20 oil - I use Mobil One.
I do mine myself.
Firstly, dealers require training, almost equivalent to a college degree, before you can sneeze on the inside of a repair bay, let alone work on a customer's car. Ever hear of ASE certs? They're not cheap or easy to get. Most dealers require brand and model specific training in addition to multiple ASE certs before they'll let technicians work on people's cars.

Second, where does Costco change oil??? In California they only ever do tires and fuel.

·
Banned
252 Posts
Firstly, dealers require training, almost equivalent to a college degree, before you can sneeze on the inside of a repair bay, let alone work on a customer's car. Ever hear of ASE certs? They're not cheap or easy to get. Most dealers require brand and model specific training in addition to multiple ASE certs before they'll let technicians work on people's cars.

Second, where does Costco change oil??? In California they only ever do tires and fuel.
Wow, this thread has gone completely into the crapper!

Firstly, are you sure that "Most dealers require brand and model specific training in addition to multiple ASE certs before they'll let technicians work on people's cars"? From what I've read on multiple forums, most dealers actually hire less experienced, lower paid people to do things like oil changes.

Second, try re-reading the very first post again. Focus on the first 4 words. Here's a hint, Canada and California are two very different things.

·
Premium Member
1998 CR-V EX 4spd auto "Big Green" completely stock with roof rack and front mud flaps
1,206 Posts
Yes, I'm sure about the requirements shops have for their techs. I tried getting work repairing cars before I found my grove with bicycles. The only places that were willing to hire uncertified mechanics were places I was barely comfortable leaving a car at. Pep Boys and similar.

Also, several US members responded as if they've had Costco change their oil too. Naturally, I'd like to know where.

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
Before I close this topic. DO not Mock a Moderator or Adminstrator, we do our best here, you got a straight forward answer. and. Here I post yesterdays video frame.

Not all Costco's do have Auto repair shops, Ask the Auto Rep they are just workers at Kirkland/Priceclub/Costco. Oil where does it come from that Costco's Brand Warren Distributers for more info contact the corp for costco Chat Us

for more info on the oil they use
World Class Lubricants | Warren Oil Company, LLC

And for that. the topic has been answered

$29.99 and $49.99 was the wholesaler's introductory price for a basic oil change and a full synthetic. Eventually, Costco increased this to $59.99. Contrary to public opinion, these were reasonable prices, as conventional oil change usually costs from $20 to $55.

Do your Homework! or be spoon fed.

Update note I chose to close I did request for the Staff to decide. if one has a problem you may contact down below each page in gray and want to grieve it, we are here to listen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.