Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up on costs for replacing the front windshield on the 2017 CRV EX-l with the Honda Sensing Safety Features.
**I had a line rock crack about 4-5 inches long that had run to the edge of the windshield & could not be repaired. It was not that troubling but since I was about to get a new safety sticker I thought I would go ahead & replace it without involving insurance.

I gave all of my specs & accessories & car model number, etc to a reputable glass replacement company that works for many insurance company and the quote was less than $500 out the door, which was OK. The day before the work was to be done I received a phone call that the quote had been changed from less than $500 to about $1500, which was not OK. The reason they gave was that when the windshield is replaced the safety systems that see through the windshield have to be recalibrated and in my area of Houston, the 4th largest city in the Nation, only one company did that recalibration work so I would imagine that in smaller cities they will have to travel a bit for that work.

Anyway, just be aware that if you get a low quote on a CRV front windshield replacement, tell them to look again & remind them of the Honda Sensing Features.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Have had two windshields replaced with Honda Sensing (a '16 Pilot and a '18 CR-V).

In both instances the price was $1,250 +/- each...

Honda OEM windshield glass is specified in the owners manual '...if Honda Sensing equipped...'

Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,572 Posts
Yeah.. even basic windshield replacement is getting more involved in these modern vehicles. Been through this, and in the process I learned quite a bit. I was made aware of this when I had my windshield replaced.

Things to be aware of and consider:

If the replacement windshield is built to spec, recalibration is likely not actually needed, as long as the windshield is installed correctly. The company replacing the windshield will advise you that it does need recalibration, but this is a liability disclaimer on their part to avoid law suits.

Also.. Honda will tell you that you need OEM glass for Honda Sensings camera, but the reality is most after market glass is already built to OEM specs these days. The consolidation in the car glass industry over the last decade has reduced the sources for glass to just a handful of major companies now.. and they all bid and compete for OEM contracts with the car makers. So as long as you are using glass from a known OEM source for Honda, this is unlikely to be a real issue. Again.. Honda is making the statements they do as a liability mitigation measure. But if in doubt.. yeah.. go with OEM glass for peace of mind.

So.. should you get it recalibrated? Depends. No harm in doing it, but be aware that calibration of the camera seems to be more problematic then useful in some cases. Specifically, reported instances of needing recalibration from a Honda dealer multiple times, even when using OEM glass from the dealer. Note: almost all dealers outsource glass replacement now days to one of the major companies that do this. My dealer for example, outsources to Safelite.

That said... if you are uncomfortable with any possible uncertainty after the glass is replaced.. then yeah.. definitely get it recalibrated.. for peace of mind. Your insurance company should cover both the cost to recalibrate as well as replace the glass.

In my case, before pulling the trigger on recalibration, I first test drove the vehicle on a variety of roads and freeways, while triggering and monitoring the various safety systems that use the camera in the windshield. I found no difference after the glass was replaced compared to before the glass was replaced... so I skipped the recalibration (a quoted 3 hour job at the dealer). The glass makers pre-install and align all the mounting brackets on the glass at the factory, so if it is a glass supplier that bids OEM to Honda.. you are getting the same exact tooling and production quality even though it is sold as after market glass.

·
Registered
118 Posts
When I picked up my new 2019 EX-L @ the dealer about 2 weeks ago, they tried to sell me all of the add-ons. One of them included windshield replacement. They said the average new windshield costs about $350 to replace and another $350 to have the dealer (only) recalibrate. I live in central NC, if that makes a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts