Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
/Sharing my experience for anyone who may be facing the need to take your vehicle in for service during the pandemic.

TL;DR for UMRdyldo: Everything went fine and everyone was on their game in treating this outbreak with the respect it needs.

So.. coming up on my three year anniversary on my 2017 CRV... and that means an A7 maintenance.

If it were just "A" maintenance.... I'd just rough it and do the oil change myself at home. But changing the brake fluid is something I want on the record with the dealer... as I have a long term HondaCare plan. So.... I thought I would share my experience this week at my local dealer who does my vehicle servicing (which is different than the dealer I actually buy my Honda's from).

Preface: this is a very good dealer.. so I am completely comfortable with having my vehicles serviced by them. Never any BS, they never try to up-sell maintenance, and the service staff always are professional and on the mark.

Of course I am very careful right now as my county is in shelter-in-place for the last month... and while infection rates are low and stable in my county... I don't want to be the person who picks it up from visiting a dealership, much less being infectious and giving the virus to someone at the dealership. When I go out.. I wear a mask, and have a separate outer layer of clothes that I wear... and they get removed and put in a paper sack when I get home and are moved to my patio where I can hang them in sunlight for several days.

On to the service call. Made an appointment and showed up on time. Dealer had all the required safety notices posted in plain sight on entrance doors, and also had a big poster stating that anyone with any respiratory symptoms, regardless of cause, are prohibited from entering the lobby. Owner traffic was pretty low... probably because they have modified hours now and spread out the appointments. Anyway... when I arrived I found a well organized and prepared dealership. Purell hand sanitizer stations both inside and outside the service lobby, and service staff making sure everyone knows about them and encourages making use of them. Service reps have been spread out in the service lobby to workspaces separated by at least 15 feet, and have been reconfigured so customer and service rep can interact safely at 6ft distance. Took only 5 minutes to to get all checked in and sign-off on the paperwork (I ALWAYS bring my own pen now days... and I saw the relief on the faces of the staff I interacted with when I pulled out my pen. :) ) The service staff put steering wheel covers, seat covers, and floor mats in your vehicle before they get in and move it to a service bay. Service staff were gloved and masked as well and it appears that they had one designated "vehicle mover".

Wife picked me up so no waiting at the dealership, and the service was completed about two hours later and I returned to pick up the vehicle. The dealer gives you the option of online payment, or you can pay by credit card at the cashier. I'm old school and do not trust my credit card info with most online payment sites that I cannot confirm are "tight" ... so I went old school and used my card. Note: I have one credit card I use for purchases at stores right now, and it gets stored in my left pocket of my outside gear. Cashier station was well organized, with proper distancing lines set up and staff wearing gloves and masks. Took two minutes to complete payment and then step outside to wait for my vehicle.

Quick drive home..... and disinfecting all the logical places someone might have touched in my cabin during service. For this I use professional grade Medical BKZ wipes (and BKS of 0.1% or greater is now approved for disinfecting for this virus).

Now, admittedly a lot of the above by both the dealer and me feel like overkill.. but they do in fact cover possible corner cases of transmission. The important part being we each have to do our part to help limit the spread of the virus.... and happily this dealer is on top or their game as am I. Around here... everyone wears masks when out in public... so I did not see any customers not wearing masks.

All in all.. not a painful or stressful experience... even in a county in total shut down right now except for essential services.

·
Registered
263 Posts
As someone who was infected probably at the supermarket or god knows where,
take it with a grain of salt. You don't develop symptoms right away but days later.
I had mild symptoms but just don't think that because they sanitized everything, they would desinfect everything.
Car interiors are the worst for spreading this thing as well as lobbys.

Just don't stay indoors with multiple people and drive with the windows down on your way home.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
glad I’m at 40% on the ol maintenance minder .
Yeah.. I knew in early March (MM @ 20%) that I was ticking down to needing maintenance. And... with this smart MM, even if you don't drive much or at all... it still keeps track of calendar time and will continue to tick down at about 10% per month. Sure enough... 3rd week of march... 15% alert... and two weeks later.. even though I only drove one time and for only about 8 miles.... it ticked down to 10%... so it was time to call for an appointment. :)

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As someone who was infected probably at the supermarket or god knows where,
take it with a grain of salt. You don't develop symptoms right away but days later.
I had mild symptoms but just don't think that because they sanitized everything, they would desinfect everything.
Car interiors are the worst for spreading this thing as well as lobbys.

Just don't stay indoors with multiple people and drive with the windows down on your way home.
Effective protection is a "layered" approach for this virus. If everyone does their job... especially social distancing and proper sanitation and personal protection the chances are small of picking up anything, even in a grocery store (as long as the store is well ventilated and air conditioned). The biggest pitfalls is people not practicing social distancing, not wearing protective clothing, shoes, masks (that are only worn while out in public and NEVER worn at home), personal items you might use in public.. like pens to sign something, credit cards, etc. The careless people are easy to spot and when I spot one.... I reroute in another direction in the grocery store.

Where I think a lot of people drop the ball is ---> their cell phone. Cell phones are already known by the healthcare industry to be a primary vector of disease in medical facilities. Personally, my phone stays inside my pocket of a vest I wear under my protective outer clothing, and I NEVER touch it while out in public. If someone calls me... I have a bluetooth earpiece (which also is treated after use as though it too is a vector and gets a BKZ wipe down and set aside for 24 hours.

But yes.. the proper mental state of mind here is to assume anyone you see in public, and anything you touch in public... may be contaminated and must be treated accordingly. You have to assume others are not being as diligent as you are... and must be absolutely certain you continue all your personal protection protocols.

The biggest reveal on this virus is asymptomatic infected people spreading infection not knowing they are infectious. Which is why masks are now pretty much mandatory in public in many places... not to protect the mask wearer.. but to protect those around them from the mask wearer (again.. the assumption is everyone you see.. may be a vector for the virus). That said, since I had a handful of N95 masks in my possession for use when sanding and refinishing furniture... I simply use one of those and then sunlight disinfect it for 72 hours before reuse.. so in my case my mask protects both me and those I come near in public.

·
Registered
59 Posts
williamsji, does your dealer normally offer a customer shuttle ride home, and is this service offline for now?

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
I have an AB27 on the MM and need to take the car in before 8th of May for the body warranty to remain in effect.

·
Super Moderator
7,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
williamsji, does your dealer normally offer a customer shuttle ride home, and is this service offline for now?
They switched from in house shuttle service to free Lyft ride to home or work (15 mile limit, you pay any difference for more than 15 miles) a couple years ago.

I did not ask if the service is still offered right now or it is suspended under county order, as there is no way I am stepping into any gig economy passenger ride service right now. So I had my wife pick me up and take me back later to pick up my CRV.

The Lyft program is fairly common here with dealers, and works much better than waiting and boarding a shuttle van driven by a dealer staff member, which then meanders around town dropping off each passenger. My guess is Lyft has a program in place that is attractive to dealers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts