Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
I'm not sure if the print version and the online version differ, but when I look online, I don't see an overall "not recommended" for Honda on CR. I see that they now rank last in reliability among Asian brands, and that they dropped 6 spots in the overall rankings amongst all automakers, to 15th place. This still has them ahead of every domestic brand, as well as European brands Mercedes-Benz, VW, and Volvo.

The Honda Clarity and Honda Odyssey both lost their "recommended" ratings.

·
Registered
2016 CRV Touring AWD
4,063 Posts
Honda is in the toilet for reliability, My latest copy of Consumer Reports does not recommend Honda anymore..... jim
Can you post a copy? Some of us haven't trusted CR in decades.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Can you post a copy? Some of us haven't trusted CR in decades.
Yep I stopped subscribing about 5 years ago. I think they are really desperate to make headlines and get back subscribers with sensationalism instead of making recommendations based on their own tests and their own user feedback. If only nine subscribers complained to CR it sounds like an odd decision.

Rob

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Yep I stopped subscribing about 5 years ago. I think they are really desperate to make headlines and get back subscribers with sensationalism instead of making recommendations based on their own tests and their own user feedback. If only nine subscribers complained to CR it sounds like an odd decision.

Rob
For many in the trade CR is considered a bad joke. It appears they have to try to stand out and make themselves important. Also, over the years some of their "top picks" in automobiles have gone on to be seen as real dogs.
Trust CR or whomever you want, its the advantage in living in a free country with lots of choices for consumers.

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,640 Posts
Do we really care what CR recommends? ...NO.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
All of which may be true, but it doesn't mean they are wrong. Honda has never been known for making great decisions in the American market (I can't speak to the rest of the world), and it's pretty obvious they've made some major bad ones in the last couple of years. Which does NOT make them necessarily different from other carmakers. We all have our opinions, I know I certainly do. IMO the CVT was a horrible idea and won't work out in the long run unless major development strides are made. And recent engine choices, while obviously influenced by similar ones at other brands, are no better. I find it of highly questionable common sense to shelve the reliable 2.4L, and replace it with the 1.5L Turbo, which is an engine that is so problem-laden I don't think ten years of refinement will fix it. And the modified 2.4L "new" version is equally terrible. The direct injection is killing both engines, and was obviously released way too soon, as it is nowhere near properly developed. I suspect Honda will have to back up and seriously re-think some things in the next couple of years, when the hit to their market share, reputation, and bottom line, becomes a make-or-possibly-break issue. I understand that they are under pressure to increase mileage and decrease emissions, and I sympathize with that, but they could easily choose to continue development of proven designs instead of releasing not-ready-for-prime-time junk.

I've watched this trend closely and applied that research to my decision when I bought my '07 CR-V. I really wanted an '06 with a manual transmission, just couldn't find one in acceptable shape here, and ended up going with a Gen3. I think it will prove to be a sound choice for me, and I need it to be, as I am recently retired and can no longer afford to indiscriminately blow money on vehicles like I used to have the freedom, though not necessarily the smarts, to do. I need something that will last, be reliable and trouble-free, and have a good total cost of ownership. After doing all that research I narrowed my focus to include only 2006 through 2009 models, and either a CR-V or an Element. The car I chose in the end was the best car for the best deal I found in my area over about a six month period. Earlier models were ruled out due to age, mileage, and condition. Newer than '09 models were ruled out due to an ever-increasing preponderance of evidence suggesting a growing number of issues with engines, then progressed with later models to things like the CVT (I will NOT EVER own one of those), the increasing complexity of electronic "features," and now the newer engines. I can't imagine why anyone would buy a new one right now. I learned long ago to adapt the axiom (having to do with dealing with women) to all things in my life, the one that says "There's no sense in going out looking for trouble, it will find you soon enough."

Honda first angered me with their decision to drop the 1991 Civic Wagon, which I consider to be the best vehicle they have ever made. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Then, for '07, they killed off the manual transmission in the CR-V, and other years for other models. Super-bad idea! Also starting in '07, and getting progressively worse since, is that their style designers appear to be smoking crack. Every time I think it can't get any worse than it already is they prove me wrong again! And now they have mortally kilted off their reliability on account of bad choices and unfinished engineering. So, while I am still a Honda enthusiast, I am way more picky, and whatever else they might say, they can't blame that on me. There are plenty of great Hondas out there on the road, but they are not newer models. I can only hope they will come to their senses in time to pull up before they dive headlong into the ground.

·
Registered
2022 CRV EX FWD 2013 CRV EX FWD
3,009 Posts
I don't subscribe to CR, but I'm curious what their reasons are to not have any Honda's recommended? I get the CRV not being recommended, but why not the Civic, Accord, or Odyssey? @kloker I respect your opinion on the CVT but your assessment of it not working in the long run is without merit. Go to the Accord forum and you'll see plenty of high mileage CVT's with no problems on their. Shoot, my 2014 Civic with the CVT is about to hit 61k miles and I haven't had 1 issue. I owned a 2008 Altima with the CVT and traded it in with 75k miles with no issues whatsoever. People fear change, I get it, but the CVT is reliable and here to stay. Luckily you won't be buying a brand new car because a lot of manufacturers are moving toward CVT's.

·
Registered
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,662 Posts
I gotcha. Of course, I totally respect everyone's decisions on purchasing new/newer models, but I am possibly terminally pragmatic and practical, something I probably inherited from my Dad. How interesting it is that that used to annoy me to no end about him, yet I do the same thing now. Hmmm. So I do have I suppose an extreme view on the CVT, but there is a large body of evidence out there to support it, too, and not yet that much positive feedback. It is good news to hear that there is some. Note that I did qualify myself with the additional remark about further development, which is true of anything new.

I don't know about the Civic or Odyssey, but with the Accord it's the same as the CR-V - the same issues with the same engines.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They were butting heads for the top position now,CR V dropped down and some are at or near the bottom like Odyssey, and Accord...... I guess these engine problems did put the CR V mid pack..... jim

·
Registered
164 Posts
For now at least I'm going to side with Larry on the CVT. We've never owned a Honda before, always BMW's but this time my wife wanted a CR-V so we bought a new 2018 last March. She's not a car enthusiast at all but she likes the CR-V a lot so far. I have driven it a few times and after owning high performance BMW's with 8 speed transmissions I just can't get used to a transmission which keeps the engine RPM down low in a high torque range. To me it feels like it is always laboring. I don't doubt the CVT's reliability and my wife doesn't notice the difference so the CR-V is a keeper I guess. We bought it with long term ownership plans in mind as retirement is not far off. Hopefully we'll hear something good from Honda soon concerning the dilution. Ours does have it but her driving patterns seem to be keeping it under control for now. We've not experienced any cold weather conditions with it yet.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I have a ConsumerReports subscription and just looked at the "Compact sport-utility vehicles" ratings.
Overall scores of the top 4, total of 100 points possible:

81 - 2019 Mazda CX-5
78 - 2018 Toyota RAV4
77 - 2019 Honda CR-V
73 - 2019 Nissan Rogue

2019 CR-V ratings:
Road Test 82 out of 100
Reliability 3 out of 5
Owner Satisfaction 5 out of 5

Digging into the details for prior years, which they rate in 5 steps from Worse (1) to Better (5), from 2009 to 2018 most years are rated 5, with 2009, 2010, 2015, 2018 rated 4.
2018 they rated as Average (3).

And no, I can't post links to the information because to read the article you have to login to the site.

·
Registered
310 Posts
I don't subscribe to CR, but I'm curious what their reasons are to not have any Honda's recommended?
They do still recommend Hondas. The title of this thread is wrong. I'm looking right now, and here are the Hondas that CR still recommends:

• Ridgeline
  • Civic
  • Accord
  • HR-V
  • CR-V
  • Pilot
  • Fit
  • Insight

The Odyssey and Clarity both lost their recommended ratings, based on reliability feedback from CR members. About the Odyssey, CR writes:
The Odyssey minivan had much-worse-than-average reliability, with problems including the infotainment display freezing and losing all functionality, and power sliding doors that wouldn’t close. The Honda spokesman said that the automaker released over-the-air software updates. Software updates issued by Honda can be downloaded by the customer using any WiFi connection. As for the door problem, the spokesman said Honda is aware of some instances, and plans to issue a service bulletin with specific dealer repair guidance soon.
Regarding the Clarity, they state:
The Clarity had much-worse-than-average reliability. Member-reported problems were electronic glitches that led to multiple warning lights when there wasn’t a problem, a faulty cabin temperature sensor, and the trunk failing to open. A Honda spokesman said the automaker has not seen the trunk problem in its warranty data. He said that Honda had issued two bulletins to dealers to handle the warning-light problem, and said it is working on guidance for dealers on how to handle the sensor problem.
Overall, Honda's reliability rank slipped, as I described in post #2 above. That doesn't mean that CR stopped recommending their cars.

I've been a long time subscriber to CR, and use them as one tool to help me make purchasing decisions. They are not the be-all/end-all, but I do like the idea of not taking advertising dollars from companies with one hand while writing product reviews of those companies with the other. I don't care what those "in the trade" think; in fact, I'm kind of glad they don't like CR. My experiences as a consumer have not always matched what CR has published, but I don't expect them to be in lockstep, and as I said I also use other sources for my decision making.

The only complaint I've had about CR over the years is that they reviewed all cars like driving appliances. People don't buy sports cars for the same reasons they buy commuter cars, and people generally know buying a sports car may come with some compromises (visibility, ease of entry/exit, etc) compared with buying a commuter car. However, CR tended to review them all the same. They've improved on that somewhat in recent years.

·
Registered
599 Posts
They do still recommend Hondas. The title of this thread is wrong. I'm looking right now, and here are the Hondas that CR still recommends:

• Ridgeline
  • Civic
  • Accord
  • HR-V
  • CR-V
  • Pilot
  • Fit
  • Insight

The Odyssey and Clarity both lost their recommended ratings, based on reliability feedback from CR members. About the Odyssey, CR writes:

Regarding the Clarity, they state:

Overall, Honda's reliability rank slipped, as I described in post #2 above. That doesn't mean that CR stopped recommending their cars.

I've been a long time subscriber to CR, and use them as one tool to help me make purchasing decisions. They are not the be-all/end-all, but I do like the idea of not taking advertising dollars from companies with one hand while writing product reviews of those companies with the other. I don't care what those "in the trade" think; in fact, I'm kind of glad they don't like CR. My experiences as a consumer have not always matched what CR has published, but I don't expect them to be in lockstep, and as I said I also use other sources for my decision making.

The only complaint I've had about CR over the years is that they reviewed all cars like driving appliances. People don't buy sports cars for the same reasons they buy commuter cars, and people generally know buying a sports car may come with some compromises (visibility, ease of entry/exit, etc) compared with buying a commuter car. However, CR tended to review them all the same. They've improved on that somewhat in recent years.
Dam it, you beat me!

I've been pecking away typing the exact same things and right before posting my thoughts, I rechecked the thread and there they were already entered by you.

Well, now I can go and ice down my index fingers.

·
Registered
881 Posts
It's difficult to accurately rate new generation designs. Over time though, these rankings will become more accurate. Hopefully time will be friendly to the gen 5 crv.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, the CRV was at the top of the list in 2018 car of the year stuff, but that was then reality with the oil dilution and other issues they fell from the super star status to mid pack. Now look at resale value..... jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Well, the CRV was at the top of the list in 2018 car of the year stuff, but that was then reality with the oil dilution and other issues they fell from the super star status to mid pack. Now look at resale value..... jim
Jim, if you may, where do you get the information of the resale value of 2017/2018 CRV?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
I'll pile on and say agree that unless the print version of the magazine is *very* different from the online version, the headline is simply wrong. CR doesn't recommend or not-recommend brands, they recommend (or not) individual models. They do rank manufacturers, but that does not influence the model verdicts.

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
Kloker,

The 1.5T is *so* problem laden they won't be able to fix it for a decade? Besides the oil dilution (which doesn't show any sign of being problematic anywhere but oil analysis reports in the "regular" Civic variant, and the higher-perf variant used in the CR-V and higher Civics is being addressed), to which problems would you be referring? And what problems are you referring to with the 2.4? That engine has been in use for some time with DI bolted to it.

And the CVT was a horrible idea why? This particular transmission has been in use for several years in a range of Honda models, and there have been zilch in the way of reports of systematic issues. You can't tar the Honda unit with the same brush as the problematic JATCO transmissions (they had a systematic design flaw related to bearings used on the "slides" to vary the pushey width; that flaw was not a CVT problem, it was a JATCO problem.)

1 - 20 of 119 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.