Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just Recieved This From Honda

I just received this mail from Honda. Dated December 2018 - no day listed. Seems to be something they have or will be sending to all 2017-2018 CR-V owners.

It is a Product Update: 2017-2018 CR-V for Software Update with A/C Control Unit Replacement; DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or P0172

Letter states to make an appointment to bring in your vehicle for this update. And "Failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle."

Has anyone received this and has your vehicle been updated?

Honda Letter.jpg

·
Super Moderator
1997, 2002, 2017 my expertese lies there
5,024 Posts
No. what does it say?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Those are the same DTCs from TSB 18-114.
This is the 'fix' that has been discussed many times in other threads.

In fact, look at the lower r.h. corner. It references the CA campaign and the SB.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Very interesting that they are now calling it an Emissions Issue, not an Oil Dilution or Heating issue!!!
And NO, I have not received it.

If you go to the NHTSA website you can now see Manufacturer Communication A18-114 (the same number is shown at the bottom right of your letter minus the A). It is dated December 7, 2018. So is this a "fix" for oil dilution or a "fix" for emissions? As usual American Honda is not forthcoming. And if it is for Emissions shouldn't it be applied to all States? Hmm...

Attachments

·
Registered
172 Posts
Very interesting that they are now calling it an Emissions Issue, not an Oil Dilution or Heating issue!!!

If you go to the NHTSA website you can now see Manufacturer Communication A18-114 (the same number is shown at the bottom right of your letter minus the A). It is dated December 7, 2018. So is this a "fix" for oil dilution or a "fix" for emissions? As usual American Honda is not forthcoming. And if it is for Emissions shouldn't it be applied to all States? Hmm...
Well, this sounds like a good thing, if there is no reference to just Northern states and such. If they acknowledge it's emissions related, everybody gets it.

·
Registered
277 Posts

My 2010 Equinox had a recall for oil dilution because of fuel pump seals and was considered and came as an emissions recall.

It was a staggered rollout. I made an appointment to get the recall done and after waiting an hour was told they didn't have the parts. I had to wait 4 weeks before the part came in.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Starting to feel nostalgic for my mom's 197? diesel Oldsmobile. We might even get a listing in the phone book similar to "Disgruntled Oldsmobile Diesel Owners".

·
Banned
353 Posts
Letter states to make an appointment to bring in your vehicle for this update. And "Failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle."
How did Honda go from...
Oh, there is no problem. Oil dilution is normal. Nothing to see here. Don't worry about it.

To...
Damn, people keep complaining. We'll put forth some minimal effort & "fixes" to keep people in Northern states from whining too much.

To...
"It is recommended that you have the necessary repairs done as soon as possible."

The best part is, if owners don't act immediately to get the repairs done, Honda will claim you failed to properly maintain your vehicle!

·
Registered
132 Posts
I’m guessing that only northern states are getting these letters ? Has anyone in a warmer climate got a letter? Will this eventually go to all CRV owners ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If this oil dilution situation has moved to being classified as an "Emissions" issue, then this would seem move into the category of "Honda must resolve" lest they earn the wrath of the EPA. I'm sure the VW lesson is fresh on their minds.

I for one just don't see how they can not recall every 2017-2018 CR-V as once the car is sold, it can easily go from a "warm" state to a "cold weather" state.

·
Registered
139 Posts
This is very important.

Everyone needs to contact Honda and start a case with respect to oil dilution. Then you have to file a complaint at the NHTSA. Then you need to complain at your dealer. Then you need to tell everyone you know to avoid Honda vehicles.

This is the only way that will make Honda act – when it hits their bottom line.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Well how can they say everyone in the northern states MUST get this fix to maintain warranty, and then say nobody in the south needs it. They are so two faced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Received my notice today, same as yours. Have had no problems with my 2017, purchased in July '17.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for your quick responses.

I also have no issues with oil dilution or heat. I will be calling the number provided 1.888.234.2138 to ask questions before I make an appointment. I first wanted any forum members opinions and/or if anyone had received this letter or had actually taken their CR-V in for service in relation to this notice.

There was a cover page with this letter that I did not include in my 1st post. It had a "Information Change Form" with a return envelope if you no longer owned the vehicle for the following reasons: SOLD (Asks you to provide buyers name and address), EXPORTED, DESTROYED, STOLEN, LEASE (expired, vehicle returned) or OTHER. (May explain how they would follow-up with a vehicle sold to someone in a northern (cold) area.

I will keep the forum updated as I go forward with this.

Thank you again.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I received this today as well. My CRV doesn't really have the fuel dilution issue but does have the heat issue below around 25 degrees.

1 - 20 of 315 Posts