Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

221 - 240 of 315 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
this is another total screw-up by Honda suggesting that even if you are eligible for the fix you can't get it unless you're physically located in an eligible state. [/I]
It is my suspicion (opinion) that Honda will eventually provide the update to all CR-Vs in all states. Even in the current handful of cold states receiving the update, dealerships are waiting for parts. Now, imagine all the CR-Vs in warm states asking for the same parts at the same time...

Documentation for the EXACT same Product Update in Canada claims it is at least partially to reduce oil dilution. I suspect (my opinion) that the lawyers at American Honda instructed PR to NOT use the term "Oil Dilution" in any written documentation to avoid future law suits.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
Update (Recall) Completed

Today was my scheduled appointment for the "Update" although everyone at the dealership called it a RECALL. On the attached portion of my Invoice (no charge of course) it even states RECALL at the top and under the Description.

I arrived at 10:00 AM and was told "give us around 2 hours". They called me at 1:00 PM (lunch I guess) to say it was ready.
I went back to the dealership at 2:15 to pick up. Grabbed my key fob and proceeded to check the oil level before starting the vehicle.
As expected I was over the orange plastic - maybe a quart over. This dealership has overfilled before and when told they immediately took it back in to correct.
By 2:40 PM had my vehicle back with the correct oil level and before I left reset my A & B odometer settings to zero.
In the 20 mile ride home - for the 1st time - I was getting 30-31 MPG. I have been averaging 26-28 since I purchased the vehicle in June 2017. Time will tell if the software update - affecting the rich gas mixture - is giving me more MPG or not.

I should state again that I did NOT have an oil dilution or heating issue.

View attachment 127471

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just a follow-up. I had the TSB work done last week, along with an oil change. The service center (Victory Honda, Sandusky, OH) got the work done in 2 hours (which was what they promised me it would take), including the software update.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Well, I have not received a reply from Honda Corporate and got tired of getting no real answer concerning why my 18 CR-V was not eligible for the fix according to my dealer and Honda Corporate. So as of 12/31/18 I no longer own the 2018 CR-V EX and am happy I rid myself of the FIX concern. I was bit by a new 2013 Ford Escape and its' consistent recall status and received 100% of my puchase price from FORD. I did not want to own a lemon or future blacklisting of th CR-V by all channels. Good Luck to all and hope it all works out . I'm done with Honda and never again will I own a Honda.

·
Registered
195 Posts
This is from another site following the Oil Dilution issue. This post is from today and its interesting in how Honda is describing the TSB - that it is not for oil dilution. Also that its up to your dealer if you should continue to drive with oil dilution.
"Thought I'd post while this is fresh in my mind. Just got off the phone with American Honda Customer Service at the number on the notification letter to call with questions about the "Product Update." I specifically asked if the Software Update and/or the A/C Controller replacement were offered by Honda as a "fix" for the oil dilution issue. Answer was NO. These updates are provided ONLY to address the DTC's listed in the TSB which are: random misfire, cylinder 1 misfire, cylinder 2 misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, cylinder 4 misfire, or fuel system too rich. I was specifically told that the PUD does not address the oil dilution issue, and that there is no official service bulletin or recall that does address this issue. He said that the oil dilution issue was a separate issue and not the issues being addressed in the TSB. Couldn't be any clearer, could it? If, as a byproduct of the PUD, it seems to help with oil dilution then good for you but don't expect it. So there you have it. Despite Honda's proclamations in the Consumer Reports article and elsewhere, they are not in fact offering a solution to CRV Owners for oil dilution. They lied.

I also asked if you can take your CRV to any Honda dealer in the country to get the update. I was told yes, that all dealers had been notified. I pointed that the dealer I just saw said they couldn't offer the PUD and they did not have access to the software update and did not have any A/C controller parts and knew nothing about it. Gee. Then I asked if they could direct me to any other dealers in my area who could offer the update. I got the phone number of the another Honda dealer and was told to call them. Gee.

I then asked if I should be driving the vehicle if there was fuel in the oil as documented by the high level on the dipstick and by two oil analysis reports that indicate severe fuel dilution. After being placed on hold for 10 minutes while they talked to the lawyer (I guess), they came back and said that unless a dealer has verified that there is a significant problem, Honda Corp can only document my concerns. Of course, I've been to 3 different dealers in 3 different parts of country who all blew me off and didn't even document the issue, saying that they couldn't offer anything unless it comes down to them from American Honda. So, now we have the new Honda Corporate Logo, which is arms crossed with fingers pointing in opposite directions. Dealers say talk to Honda Corp and Honda Corp says talk to the dealer. If it seems to you that Honda is not taking responsibility for this problem, you would be correct. Shameful. (Duplicate info - sorry I didn't see the post from the Texas dude before posting this)

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Well, I have not received a reply from Honda Corporate and got tired of getting no real answer concerning why my 18 CR-V was not eligible for the fix according to my dealer and Honda Corporate. So as of 12/31/18 I no longer own the 2018 CR-V EX and am happy I rid myself of the FIX concern. I was bit by a new 2013 Ford Escape and its' consistent recall status and received 100% of my puchase price from FORD. I did not want to own a lemon or future blacklisting of th CR-V by all channels. Good Luck to all and hope it all works out . I'm done with Honda and never again will I own a Honda.
I am by no means a Honda fanboy, so my reply has no bias.

I've read your two posts on the forum and in neither one do you state to have an issue addressed in the TSB. If you are not experiencing any issue, why would you think they should perform the TSB? A TSB is an aid used by the service department to point them to a specific repair procedure for a specific complaint. It's not meant to be performed on all vehicles of a certain year. That would be a recall. Now, if you actually were experiencing the issue(s), you have every right to demand the TSB be performed.

If you're still around, what did you end up replacing it with?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes. I received this in late December and had the work done today. They had the car all day, when it was only supposed to take 3 to 4 hours, it was more like 6. Apparently they did a software update and replaced the A/C unit. This was followed with the letters PUD?? Don't know what that means. I'm guessing it's something UpDate.

That was it! I now have a 2017 CRV EXL that has had the dreaded update performed, and I have the paperwork to prove it. The car seemed to warm up faster, but I didn't have that long a drive to be sure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I found this thread quite interesting, specifically the last two posts by CULater (Jan 2, 2019, bottom of page 17, about 1 to 2 pm).
https://www.bogleheads.org/forum/vie...6013&start=800
I find it interesting my vanilla colored letter (due to lighting and no flash) ended up being posted there with my name whited out and the color adjusted a tad (on page 15).

Lots of good info in that thread though. It confirmed what I read elsewhere of others having the head replaced and that 93 octane fuel might help. The problem with putting in higher octane fuel is you're gonna burn up your catalytic converter. Cheaper than an engine though.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I find it interesting my vanilla colored letter (due to lighting and no flash) ended up being posted there with my name whited out and the color adjusted a tad (on page 15).

Lots of good info in that thread though. It confirmed what I read elsewhere of others having the head replaced and that 93 octane fuel might help. The problem with putting in higher octane fuel is you're gonna burn up your catalytic converter. Cheaper than an engine though.
I tried to link and it says the page cannot be found just FYI

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
TSB only for Dx'd problem

I am by no means a Honda fanboy, so my reply has no bias.

I've read your two posts on the forum and in neither one do you state to have an issue addressed in the TSB. If you are not experiencing any issue, why would you think they should perform the TSB? A TSB is an aid used by the service department to point them to a specific repair procedure for a specific complaint. It's not meant to be performed on all vehicles of a certain year. That would be a recall. Now, if you actually were experiencing the issue(s), you have every right to demand the TSB be performed.

If you're still around, what did you end up replacing it with?
My experience is not consistent with your idea that the TSB is an aid used by service department for a specific complaint. My 2018 CRV EX AWD is just over a year old and had 13,000 miles on it when I took it to the dealer I bought it from for their free State Inspection. We live in Maine and have run it in very cold weather as well as driven it to Florida and back. We NEVER had an increase in oil level or gas smell in oil. The car NEVER seemed to take inordinately long to heat up. And yet, the Service Writer captured my car and said they were to do the servicing for which I later got the letter people have been referring to. If I had had my wits about me, I would have told the service manager not to do the repair. However, I wonder if Honda is simply doing a "Stealthy Recall." I hope that Honda did not follow the adage, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is broke." So far, we have not experienced any significant differences in the car since the "fix."

·
Registered
61 Posts
Yeah so the reason you won't be getting a letter requesting that you come in to get the fix is the same reason I wont be getting one: We both live in States that Honda feels (publicly, that is) a problem does not exist, because we live in what are considered "warm" weather states and thus we simply don't have a oil dilution problem( in Honda's convoluted mind). See you gotta understand the feeble thinking PR mind of Honda: By denying the fix in warm weather states , it attempts to promote the Narrative that the problem is isolated to cold climates under very specific driving conditions which helps them completely avoid the colossal PR damage associated with the acknowledgement that ANY CRV could have the problem and thus reveal the poorly designed engine. Nevermind that every State in the Union has logged oil dilution complaints; they will simply deny you have a problem because your in a warm climate, and thus simply CANNOT have a problem- its all in your head
.here is a link that details which states are included.

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-repair-maintenance/honda-delays-cr-v-turbo-engine-fix-details-rollout-plans/
WOW, I also wondered why not everyone with these 5th Gen 1.5L turbo engines weren't getting this so called fix. Thanks for the information. I live in Maryland so I guess that rules me out. It really blows that my Brand new 2018 EX, purchased in March 2018 can possibly not last at least another 10+ years like my 06 Ford Escape did.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have to disagree with the statement about using 93 octane fuel. It would have no effect on you're catalytic converters. The higher octane fuels have a higher resistance to detonation. They also can contain better detergent packages. Fuel octane is not related to this issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda Canada Campaign: N55/N60/N61

I just had this service done: N60, which replaced the climate control unit, adjusted the fuel injectors, changed software and gave me an oil change. I've never noticed any problems with heating or oil levels.

HONDA CANADA INC.

180 HONDA BOULEVARD, MARKHAM, ON, L6C 0H9 • TEL 1-888-9HONDA9 • FAX (TOLL FREE) 1-877-939-0909 •
November 2018

Product Update and Warranty Extension campaigns: Engine Oil Dilution

Dear Honda owner:

We are sending this letter to notify you of a product update and a warranty extension that apply to your vehicle.
Please check the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) at the top of this letter to ensure that it matches the
17-digit VIN on the upper left of your vehicle’s dashboard.

What is the problem?

On some 2017 and 2018 CR-V vehicles equipped with a 1.5L turbo direct-injection engine, the engine oil may
become overly diluted with fuel and moisture, particularly when driving repeated short trips in very low ambient
temperatures. Overly diluted engine oil may cause a variety of symptoms:
- MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illuminated due to engine misfire;
- MIL illuminated due to excessively rich (high fuel/air ratio) running conditions;
- Low oil pressure light illuminated due to moisture freezing in the oil pan;
- In exceptional cases, abnormal noise from the engine camshaft due to wear caused by freezing of the rocker arm roller bearings.

The amount of oil dilution your engine may have is determined by a balance between the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders that migrates to the oil pan and the ability of the engine to vaporize and burn this fuel as it warms up. Some oil dilution is normal for this engine. This product update includes software updates to the engine’s fuel injection, the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and, on some vehicles, the climate control unit to limit oil dilution by modifying fuel injection parameters and improving the speed of engine warm up. As part of the update service, your engine oil will be replaced free-of-charge to remove any excessive fuel or moisture, which may have accumulated in the engine oil.

In addition to this product update, Honda Canada is extending the warranty on certain engine components to six years from initial vehicle registration, with no mileage limit. This extended warranty will cover engine repairs required as a result of excess oil dilution which may occur before the product update service is completed on your vehicle. Please note the following conditions after the prescribed updates are completed:

1. when operating the heater you may feel increased temperatures at the vents during the engine warm-up period;

2. you may periodically notice that the engine is operating with the oil level above the “upper” mark when checking the oil by the dipstick. This is a normal condition for this class of engine and will have no adverse
effects on engine performance or long-term engine durability.

What should you do?

Please contact your Honda dealer to schedule an appointment to have this product update performed on your vehicle. The necessary software will be updated and on some vehicles, the climate control unit will be replaced.
Your dealer will be able to give you an estimate of how long they will require your vehicle – usually less than a day. The dealer will perform the product update service free of charge. Who to contact if you experience problems or have questions? If you need assistance with locating a Honda dealer, or if your dealer is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, please contact Honda Canada Customer Relations at 1-888-9HONDA9 (1-888-946-6329). You can also visit our website to locate a Honda dealer near you.

Please help Honda Canada keep you informed:

This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle, or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact Honda Canada Customer Relations at 1-888-9HONDA9 (1-888-946-6329) or forward this notice to the new owner.

We apologize for any inconvenience this product update may cause you. Thank you for your co-operation.

Sincerely,

Dave Jamieson

Vice President, Parts and Service

·
Registered
97 Posts
In California, cars must be emission tested every two years from the exhaust. I wonder if Honda is worried about tailpipe emissions or fugitive from leaking gasoline? I do not know why either one would be a safety recall?

Consumer Reports rated the 2019 Subaru Forester 12 points above the CR-V. I am sure that the value of the CR-V is dropping dramatically.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
My experience is not consistent with your idea that the TSB is an aid used by service department for a specific complaint. My 2018 CRV EX AWD is just over a year old and had 13,000 miles on it when I took it to the dealer I bought it from for their free State Inspection. We live in Maine and have run it in very cold weather as well as driven it to Florida and back. We NEVER had an increase in oil level or gas smell in oil. The car NEVER seemed to take inordinately long to heat up. And yet, the Service Writer captured my car and said they were to do the servicing for which I later got the letter people have been referring to. If I had had my wits about me, I would have told the service manager not to do the repair. However, I wonder if Honda is simply doing a "Stealthy Recall." I hope that Honda did not follow the adage, "If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is broke." So far, we have not experienced any significant differences in the car since the "fix."
I guess some dealers are taking it a step further on this specific TSB, as long as your VIN is included in the list. I'm guessing it's an easy money making opportunity for them. Or, they were told to treat it like a recall. :Hmmmmm:

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
In California, cars must be emission tested every two years from the exhaust. I wonder if Honda is worried about tailpipe emissions or fugitive from leaking gasoline? I do not know why either one would be a safety recall?

Consumer Reports rated the 2019 Subaru Forester 12 points above the CR-V. I am sure that the value of the CR-V is dropping dramatically.
It's not dropping any more than any other year. Price paid verse 1 year depreciation is about 18% for me. That's pretty dang good for a first year.

My step-moms Equinox is at 28% loss in first year and it's a model year newer.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I just had this service done: N60, which replaced the climate control unit, adjusted the fuel injectors, changed software and gave me an oil change. I've never noticed any problems with heating or oil levels.

HONDA CANADA INC.

180 HONDA BOULEVARD, MARKHAM, ON, L6C 0H9 • TEL 1-888-9HONDA9 • FAX (TOLL FREE) 1-877-939-0909 •
November 2018

Product Update and Warranty Extension campaigns: Engine Oil Dilution

Dear Honda owner:

We are sending this letter to notify you of a product update and a warranty extension that apply to your vehicle.
Please check the 17-digit Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) at the top of this letter to ensure that it matches the
17-digit VIN on the upper left of your vehicle’s dashboard.

What is the problem?

On some 2017 and 2018 CR-V vehicles equipped with a 1.5L turbo direct-injection engine, the engine oil may
become overly diluted with fuel and moisture, particularly when driving repeated short trips in very low ambient
temperatures. Overly diluted engine oil may cause a variety of symptoms:
- MIL (Malfunction Indicator Lamp) illuminated due to engine misfire;
- MIL illuminated due to excessively rich (high fuel/air ratio) running conditions;
- Low oil pressure light illuminated due to moisture freezing in the oil pan;
- In exceptional cases, abnormal noise from the engine camshaft due to wear caused by freezing of the rocker arm roller bearings.

The amount of oil dilution your engine may have is determined by a balance between the amount of fuel injected into the cylinders that migrates to the oil pan and the ability of the engine to vaporize and burn this fuel as it warms up. Some oil dilution is normal for this engine. This product update includes software updates to the engine’s fuel injection, the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) and, on some vehicles, the climate control unit to limit oil dilution by modifying fuel injection parameters and improving the speed of engine warm up. As part of the update service, your engine oil will be replaced free-of-charge to remove any excessive fuel or moisture, which may have accumulated in the engine oil.

In addition to this product update, Honda Canada is extending the warranty on certain engine components to six years from initial vehicle registration, with no mileage limit. This extended warranty will cover engine repairs required as a result of excess oil dilution which may occur before the product update service is completed on your vehicle. Please note the following conditions after the prescribed updates are completed:

1. when operating the heater you may feel increased temperatures at the vents during the engine warm-up period;

2. you may periodically notice that the engine is operating with the oil level above the “upper” mark when checking the oil by the dipstick. This is a normal condition for this class of engine and will have no adverse
effects on engine performance or long-term engine durability.

What should you do?

Please contact your Honda dealer to schedule an appointment to have this product update performed on your vehicle. The necessary software will be updated and on some vehicles, the climate control unit will be replaced.
Your dealer will be able to give you an estimate of how long they will require your vehicle – usually less than a day. The dealer will perform the product update service free of charge. Who to contact if you experience problems or have questions? If you need assistance with locating a Honda dealer, or if your dealer is unable to make the necessary repairs free of charge, please contact Honda Canada Customer Relations at 1-888-9HONDA9 (1-888-946-6329). You can also visit our website to locate a Honda dealer near you.

Please help Honda Canada keep you informed:

This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle, or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact Honda Canada Customer Relations at 1-888-9HONDA9 (1-888-946-6329) or forward this notice to the new owner.

We apologize for any inconvenience this product update may cause you. Thank you for your co-operation.

Sincerely,

Dave Jamieson

Vice President, Parts and Service
WOW that’s all written on Honda letterhead?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just received this mail from Honda. Dated December 2018 - no day listed. Seems to be something they have or will be sending to all 2017-2018 CR-V owners.

It is a Product Update: 2017-2018 CR-V for Software Update with A/C Control Unit Replacement; DTC P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303, P0304, or P0172

Letter states to make an appointment to bring in your vehicle for this update. And "Failure to do so could be determined as lack of proper maintenance of your vehicle."

Has anyone received this and has your vehicle been updated?

View attachment 127175
Told to call back after 01/16/19

221 - 240 of 315 Posts