Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I have this 3rd gen CR-V which has few issues and the biggest one at the moment is the noise which becomes obvious at around 15mph.

It sounds like a bad wheel bearing but frequency is much lower.

I tried to do some diagnostics and found:
This noise does not depend on engine speed;
If engine switched of while in motion, noise is still there;
Both front wheel bearings are new;
When propshaft removed, noise is gone (or extremely quiet);
Rear diff just had new oil (genuine from Honda);

The noise comes from front of the car so I suspect transfer case or gear box, anyone with similar experience?

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
Hi and welcome. Moved to Diesel section for better responses.

Need more info though....

Manual/Auto?

i-CTDI or i-DTEC?

Mileage?

Critically, do you have a video/audio clip to share?

Reactions: Carbuff2

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi and welcome. Moved to Diesel section for better responses.

Need more info though....

Manual/Auto?

i-CTDI or i-DTEC?

Mileage?

Critically, do you have a video/audio clip to share?
Woops, my bad, sorry.

The car is fitted with manual gearbox. Mileage is approx 142k (engine was replaced at 139k).

Not sure the phone camera would pick up that noise as I currently run winter tyres and engine chain a bit noisy..

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,093 Posts
The car is fitted with manual gearbox.
Could be the clutch/slave cylinder/DMF....if gear changes are difficult, then it could be gearbox, but without hearing the actual sound, might be tricky.

Hopefully super members @UK-Kev / @Tricky Dicky 69 will drop by with their experienced thoughts - they know diesels better than anyone on here.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Could be the clutch/slave cylinder/DMF....if gear changes are difficult, then it could be gearbox, but without hearing the actual sound, might be tricky.

Hopefully super members @UK-Kev / @Tricky Dicky 69 will drop by with their experienced thoughts - they know diesels better than anyone on here.
Good point, but I have checked DMF when replacing engine and it was in good condition, though I am no expert (looked at few videos and have compared with another kit I had). Not sure how slave cylinder would affect this? The sound is there no matter of clutch position

·
Registered
580 Posts
Hello,
Okay if we rule out the diff because you’ve just had new oil and the fact you dropped the prop-shaft and, in your words, it was super quiet.

Right move forward from the rear and you first place that can cause a low bearing noise in the centre bearing on the prop-shaft.

If that is okay coming forward and rule out each item until you find the fault.

My money is on the prop-shaft bearing because you CRV is right age / mileage.

Kev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello,
Okay if we rule out the diff because you’ve just had new oil and the fact you dropped the prop-shaft and, in your words, it was super quiet.

Right move forward from the rear and you first place that can cause a low bearing noise in the centre bearing on the prop-shaft.

If that is okay coming forward and rule out each item until you find the fault.

My money is on the prop-shaft bearing because you CRV is right age / mileage.

Kev
I have replied but network must have failed..

I have tried another prophaft and was still getting same noise. This alternative shaft had bearing in better condition but mine also doesn't make noises when you spin by hand, no resistance or rough feeling at all.

Thinking it could be transfer case bearings maybe? Noticed that noise more audible when coasting in neutral, but this may be influenced by engine going quiet.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Okay, keep coming forward until you find the problem, use a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to listen where the noise is coming from – Next in line is the gearbox, then the transfer box, clutch release bearing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay, keep coming forward until you find the problem, use a mechanics stethoscope or a long screwdriver to listen where the noise is coming from – Next in line is the gearbox, then the transfer box, clutch release bearing.
Isn't the transfer box before gearbox?
Also the noise is not there when car is stationarywoth engine on, so stethoscope is a bit challenging to use.
Clutch release bearing was not in perfect condition but surely it wouldn't be affected if propshaft removed? Or am I wrong?

My thoughts at the moment is sticking with gearbox or transfer box. To my knowledge (which is limited) the transfer box is only connected via single cog inside gearbox, so when TB removed this cog is transferring all torque to the front drive shafts, so if it was bearings inside gearbox, thy would become even noisier. While the transfer box with propshaft removed would not have any load at all, therefore noise is gone. Does this makes any sense?

I was also thinking it could be intermediate drive shaft (driver side) bearing but I had it replaced during engine replacement as it was apart anyway and easy to access. So this one out of the list.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Let me explain that noise travels backwards as well as forward in car hence a noisy thrust bearing could be your problem and more evident when moving.

N.B. I hope you have done all the basic items like checking your fluids.

If as you say the noise only happens when moving, then put the complete vehicle on axle stands ensuring you are a level flat ground and ensuring all safety checks are in place, then run your car with no revs and high gear to find the noise.

Note: If you are not confident with doing the above then seek professional assistance.

Kev

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me explain that noise travels backwards as well as forward in car hence a noisy thrust bearing could be your problem and more evident when moving.

N.B. I hope you have done all the basic items like checking your fluids.

If as you say the noise only happens when moving, then put the complete vehicle on axle stands ensuring you are a level flat ground and ensuring all safety checks are in place, then run your car with no revs and high gear to find the noise.

Note: If you are not confident with doing the above then seek professional assistance.

Kev
I have already tried raising car on four axle stands (got set of heavy duty ones) but I struggled to replicate the noise, which is why I think it's related with the load (when raised wheels get no load). I will try this exercise again as I had little time last time, will try to record few areas of my car too in case it picks up the noise.

Still can't understand how thrust bearing would make this noise if it's gone when propshaft removed?

·
Registered
580 Posts
Re your question “Still can't understand how thrust bearing would make this noise if it's gone when prop-shaft removed” That’s because it’s still being rotated by the engine. Sometime dipping the clutch pedal when the noise is apparent can sometimes change the note of the noise and acts a back up to confirm you are on the right track.

The only other thing I can suggest, do you have access to a rolling road tester? You could try to pinpoint the noise this way.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re your question “Still can't understand how thrust bearing would make this noise if it's gone when prop-shaft removed” That’s because it’s still being rotated by the engine. Sometime dipping the clutch pedal when the noise is apparent can sometimes change the note of the noise and acts a back up to confirm you are on the right track.

The only other thing I can suggest, do you have access to a rolling road tester? You could try to pinpoint the noise this way.
Sadly no access to rolling tester.. I will try to affix action cam to multiple places and record the sound/video, going it will reveal the source of the noise.

Meanwhile another noise has developed, sounds like coming from driver side front wheel. It's sort of wobble like a bad bearing, but they both new in front.. will try to jack the car up and inspect tyres. Pressure checked all good at 30psi.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, been a while and there was some progress regarding this.. I started to take things apart as noise intensified. Found wheel bearing was worn, so got both replaced. Then, without propshaft, there was no more noises present. When I put back my old propshaft, the noise reappeared..

Based on this I thought OK, must be propshaft bearing that failed too. Ordered new propshaft (not genuine Honda) and fitted it. Result - different kind of noise! It is now more of a metal grinding noise rather than bad bearing, which is kind of wobbly metal sound.

Based on this, it is either bad propshaft or gearbox, as it is certainly coming from the front.

Worth to say the propshaft looked rather low quality and I was certain it is refurbished rather than new, but when contacted seller he assured it is new and had 0 warranty claims to date.

Any thoughts? I will check again the gearbox oil level but can only think it is the transfer box..

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Another thing I noticed while driving to work this morning, when I change the gear, during the clutch disengagement and engagement the noise is gone. Also when under acceleration the noise appears to be lower than usual, but you must get it to right amount of throttle. To me it sounds like there bad bearing somewhere that's producing noise under constant load.

Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I now made quick video of transfer case and rear diff play. The transfer case seems to have a lot of play, including in/out. I'm now tempted to get another TC and replace it.
Video link:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts