Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys:

I drive a 2004 fwd cr-v (i recently bought it from my dad) and i really love it. As right now it is not in the best conditions specially in the exterior. The paint from the back plastic bumper has peeled off and has some deep scratches. I was thinking on painting it but i do not know if it is the way to fix it. Any thoughts? also i would like to know which materials should i use and the procedure.

Thanks!!!

P.S. I´m from Mexico City so i hope i can find the materials and brands needed.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It's not a simple fix as the idiots that were the previous owners of my wifes odyssey figured out.

It's the same as doing proper body work. Prep, sand, get proper primers for plastic, prime, paint, lots of wet sanding, paint some more and finally clear coat the buff out.

Now you can make it look better with some sanding prep, spray can of primer and spray can of paint/clearcoat blend. Wont be perfect but will look 100x better.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Everything in Moderation
7,887 Posts
On a 2004, I think the issue is UV discoloration on the UNPAINTED plastic?

You can use (temporary) dressings, but if its too gray, painting with a black flexible paint for plastic bumpers is the best fix.

You can Google the process...just make sure you do the proper PREP and use the correct materials.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just did a quick search online and new replacement rear bumpers are super cheap. Shipping might kill it though, but really depends on the vendor. If I were in your shoes I'd do local searches for recycled parts vendors to try to find a used bumper that is in better shape than what you have.

Even if you find one that is faded (but not peeling like yours) you could restore the finish with various dressings. Best one I have used is called Forever Black. I used their tire kit since it came with an applicator pad and used it on a few older vehicles with greyed plastics. Its a dye and lasts quite a long time. I think I had two years on my old Passat moldings before they started greying again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts