Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys,

I have just completed the DIY project of upgrading my car stereo on my (European) 2008 CR-V.

Parts:
The unit I chose is the brand new (announced Aug 2018) Sony XAV-AX1000 which includes Apple's CarPlay (which was the primary factor for the upgrade).

To install the Sony, I purchased from eBay, the Connects2 CTKHD04 kit, which includes everything: fascia, cabling & steering control http://www.connects2.com/Product/ProductItem/CTKHD04

The rear view camera: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01LSHNG2C/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cables to connect the iPhone
a. Angled USB extension cable (you will need this because the 2nd lightning cable is not long enough to reach the cupholders position): https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M1KKLS7/ref=pe_3187911_189395841_TE_dp_1
b. Lightning cable: https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B01MDQL3NT/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Note that I have passed the cable inside CR-V's console and underneath the carpet, so it is completely hidden (note upper left & right photos).

Technical stuff:

CR-V Audio connections Wiring (European models only): https://drive.google.com/open?id=1iS-FMANcdoFCESPk_JbthfKiNjXY-lK5

Subwoofer:
A word of technical caution: my CR-V is the Executive trim level, which has a factory installed subwoofer under the passenger seat (which has its own amplifier). So as to continue using the subwoofer you have to do the following:

From the green plug of the car you have to splice the PINK wire and connect it to the (+) wire of an RCA male plug
From the green plug of the car you have to splice the BLUE wire and connect it to the (-) wire of an RCA male plug
From the 20pin Grey connector of the car you have to splice the RED (B16) wire and connect it to the BLUE/WHITE wire of Sony's ISO connector (or any other system for that matter).

Bluetooth Accessory:
Also note that if your CR-V has Honda’s Bluetooth accessory (located on the driver's A pillar), there is an intermediate harness between the car's harness and the factory head unit. Remove it, it is not needed any more.

Camera:
I have routed the camera RCA & reverse signal cable from the driver's side (LHD) under the door sills and inside the weather sealing of the doors and passed it through the factory pipe that connects the body to the tailgate. Power was taken from the Reverse light from the left tail light (remember its LHD).
The camera is installed in-between the license plate lights by drilling a hole in the plastic in-between the license plate lights and passing its cable through one of the four holes that exist for the four clips (you just have to remove one of them).

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,567 Posts
Very clean install, and nicely done! I like the final look, and hopefully function will follow form. I plan to do this on my '07 EX-L. In the US Bluetooth was not available in CR-V's until '08. so it was not an option on my car. I will have to add the extras there. I still haven't chosen a head unit yet, though I am leaning towards a Kenwood. I do, of course, want to have the hands-free Bluetooth for my Android phone, but I also want to be able to play back my music using iTunes if I can find a unit that allows that. Ideally I would put the music files on an SSD, connect it via USB at the rear of the head unit and mount it in the glove box with Velcro. But I don't use iPhones, I use Android, so I have to figure out how, or even if, it will be possible. If not, I'd have to convert the iTunes files to mp3 at 192k instead of 256, which I would prefer to avoid if possible. The other feature I want in the head unit is excellent navigation through those music files, as there are a lot (over 20k!).

I will also be replacing the door speakers and adding an amp for those, and a powered sub.

Anyway, it looks like you did a very good job. I hope mine comes out that clean. It will have to wait till Spring, as winter is arriving here now, so I have some time to finish my research and order the stuff. Enjoy!

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,567 Posts
That link is not working - it says too much traffic, exceeding traffic limits. Thanks, but I already have a factory service manual. It was the first thing I bought when I got the car. Has already paid for itself.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated the link with a GDrive one.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Putting the same head unit in my wifes 2011 this weekend. Was looking specifically for the subwoofer wires you pointed out. THANKS!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Putting the same head unit in my wifes 2011 this weekend. Was looking specifically for the subwoofer wires you pointed out. THANKS!
Glad that I have helped. I have just made some changes to the original post (new info & photos). The project is marked as completed and wife is super excited (yeap its my wife's car too).

·
Registered
11 Posts
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I was looking so long around the internet for a DIY tutorial like this one. Here in Portugal I can't get anyone to upgrade the radio, so I hope e can do it from myself.

I need a little help with the subwoofer solution, My CRV is the executive too (with the sub under the seat).

From the green plug of the car you have to splice the PINK wire and connect it to the (+) wire of an RCA male plug
From the green plug of the car you have to splice the BLUE wire and connect it to the (-) wire of an RCA male plug
From the 20pin Grey connector of the car you have to splice the RED (B16) wire and connect it to the BLUE/WHITE wire of Sony's ISO connector (or any other system for that matter).
You simply cut from the car cable and adapt it to the harness or you use an adapter?

Regards

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANK YOU SO MUCH!
I was looking so long around the internet for a DIY tutorial like this one. Here in Portugal I can't get anyone to upgrade the radio, so I hope e can do it from myself.

I need a little help with the subwoofer solution, My CRV is the executive too (with the sub under the seat).

You simply cut from the car cable and adapt it to the harness or you use an adapter?

Regards
Hi,

The CR-V's subwoofer connects with a separate GREEN connector. So you will need a cable which has one RCA male plug in one end and nothing on the other. This has to be connected as I describe below (the RCA end will be connected to the female subwoofer RCA of your new stereo):
From the green connector of the car you have to splice the PINK wire and connect it to the (+) wire of an RCA male plug
From the green connector of the car you have to splice the BLUE wire and connect it to the (-) wire of an RCA male plug

Below is the connection of the third grey cable of the GREY connector to the ISO connector you have already bought:

I am here to help.

Regards from Greece,

Nikos

·
Registered
11 Posts
From the green connector of the car you have to splice the PINK wire and connect it to the (+) wire of an RCA male plug
From the green connector of the car you have to splice the BLUE wire and connect it to the (-) wire of an RCA male plug

Below is the connection of the third grey cable of the GREY connector to the ISO connector you have already bought:
Thank you for your knowledge

So I only need one rca and then connect the wires from the green connector to it, right?

Im going to buy the Sony XAV AX3005 from Amazon and look for the harnes kit somewhere else.

Regards from Portugal!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Thank you.

My CRV doesn't have the BT on the A pillar. When I bought the car I was thinking about installing the genuine one, but it was too expensive (around 400€)

I think that the biggest difficult may be the adaption of the cables to the sub

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Be sure to have the negative pole of the battery disconnected before you start. Cut the wires as near as possible to the plug, so as to have plenty of wire to work with.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Check here for the removal:
Be sure to put tape on the edges of the climate control so as not to scratch the plastics!

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,567 Posts
Be sure to have the negative pole of the battery disconnected before you start. Cut the wires as near as possible to the plug, so as to have plenty of wire to work with.
I would never do either of these things. Instead:

1. Always disconnect both battery cables when doing electrical work in any car. If you disconnect the ground and leave the positive connected, then you've just set yourself up for causing damage when a tool, part, wire, or in some cases even your own body, grounds and completes an incorrect circuit. It's a good way to toast multiple modules and other electronics.

2. Also, when cutting factory connectors off (which I do not advise when there is an adaptor available, as in this case), leave enough wire to splice it back on in the future if needed. Otherwise you are doing irreparable damage hacking up your highly expensive and possibly unavailable factory wiring harness. But I would never cut the harness. Instead, find the correct adaptor or make one. Crutchfield can do this to order in many cases.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would never do either of these things. Instead:

1. Always disconnect both battery cables when doing electrical work in any car. If you disconnect the ground and leave the positive connected, then you've just set yourself up for causing damage when a tool, part, wire, or in some cases even your own body, grounds and completes an incorrect circuit. It's a good way to toast multiple modules and other electronics.
A car mechanic has told me that. I google it and found this:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/disconnecting-a-negative-battery-terminal
I could be wrong though...

2. Also, when cutting factory connectors off (which I do not advise when there is an adaptor available, as in this case), leave enough wire to splice it back on in the future if needed. Otherwise you are doing irreparable damage hacking up your highly expensive and possibly unavailable factory wiring harness. But I would never cut the harness. Instead, find the correct adaptor or make one. Crutchfield can do this to order in many cases.
I totally understand your point, but at least in my case when I am going to sell the car, I will sell it with the existing installation as a selling point (no going back...). The subwoofer connector is nowhere to be found for European models.

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,567 Posts
A car mechanic has told me that. I google it and found this:
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/disconnecting-a-negative-battery-terminal
I could be wrong though...

I totally understand your point, but at least in my case when I am going to sell the car, I will sell it with the existing installation as a selling point (no going back...). The subwoofer connector is nowhere to be found for European models.
1. It's more a matter of degree. The article is correct in that you want to disconnect the negative terminal in order to prevent electrical/electronic damage to the vehicle. After that it is not correct. The common practice of unhooking the negative cable only does not make you or the car safe from the shock of a completed circuit in case of an accidental ground. The correct solution is to disconnect the negative cable first, then the positive. Then you and the car are protected. When reconnecting, go + first, then -. With the poor training they have these days, even a lot of practicing mechanics don't know this, but anyone who tells you the first method is correct is mistaken.

2. Here, we can go to an auto parts store and buy, off the rack, packages of the solder-on pin connectors that will allow you (with some soldering) to make your own adaptor cable. My local AutoZone has every kind made in the world. You can also order them from Amazon, but I prefer local so I can match them up by sight. Never, ever, ever cut a factory harness. If you can buy an adaptor cable with one end correct, you will save yourself half the work.

Reactions: Carvalhais

·
Registered
11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
'07 CR-V EX-L AWD
4,567 Posts
Cool! Keep us posted on how it all goes. With pictures!

·
Registered
11 Posts
DONE :)

I used the adapters instead of cutting the wires..but I'm not sure if the sub is working properly...

IMG_8695.JPG
IMG_8696.JPG

Next step, put the usb inside the central console. im thinking about eliminate the aux-in (isn't working anymore whit this radio) and use that hole..
And maybe install a camera in the future.

About the fascia..isn't the same color.. The dashboard is grey, maybe blue, and the fascia is completely black. It isn't the worst thing in the world but..... maybe Honda has a genuine one.

IMG_8698.JPG

I'm so happy.. I was looking for this upgrade since I bought the car.
A special thanks to all!!!
A597EEEE-802C-4E6F-B9E5-775B5227B914.JPG
Next wekend its Jazz time :)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts