Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi to all,

Since our cars are fairly old (mine has 181,000km), I am writing this as a warning note: the CR-V's temperature gauge does NOT have a warning light to alert you if the temperature reaches abnormal levels. So unless you are driving with your eyes on the temperature gauge there is a high probability that if something goes wrong with the cooling system you will be in serious trouble.
I am writing this because my thermostat valve was stuck in the OPEN phase. I noticed that because after a drive of almost 20km at around 12C ambient temperature the engine was cold!! I was very lucky that the thermostat was not stuck in the CLOSE phase because that would have overheated the engine...The thermostat part costs around 30€ so it is worth changing it for added safety.

I have also bought this: Temperature TM1 which has visual and audio warnings if the engine temperature rises above the normal operating temperature. Later CR-Vs (2013-onwards) have a warning message displayed in their MIDs...

Remove the panel under the sterring wheel and drill a hole as shown:

End result:

Video with Alarm Sound (if you don't notice it...);)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
How about a OBDII code reader that just plugs into the OBDII port under the dash. No sensor to mount. I'm not aware of audio/visual alarm OBDII readers but maybe someone here is. OBDII readers will display all kinds of engine/transmission info. Easily be moved from one (1996 or newer) vehicle to another by plug-n-play.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Already have one, but it will not give you a warning unless you watch it constantly (you already have the gauge)... And most importantly WHAT ABOUT THE WIFE???? ;)

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
.......and the wife asked her husband "why didn't you turn the motor off when you saw the red warning light?".......husband's response "I thought the red light would get brighter before I needed to turn the motor off".

Some folks do look at the dash occasionally. Something tells me that's why the displays on the dash are there......to provide info. On the other hand, I guess "idiot lights", as they have been called for many years, do serve a purpose.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
On the 31st of December I gave my beloved 16 year old MX-5 to my wife to go to work, since I was on leave and had the kids. The result: on her way home the upper part of the radiator cracked, didn't notice anything, until the car died on her. Still in the workshop with a bill of around 1600€...

·
2,787 Posts
Moved to Gen 3 section, as regional sections are not for vehicle issues, they are for events, meets, and local communications.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts