Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i want to expose to you my problem i faced with my CR-V 2008, last days i changed the whole display dashboard due incessant flickering right now i replaced my original one by a new one and i want to share with you some pictures that i took of the state of my old one when i opened it and i want you if you can, to give me your taught about if there is any chance that it can be fixed .

·
Registered
36 Posts
People typically fix electronics by replacing burned out capacitors or re-soldering bad contacts. I never head of anyone fixing a chip with a hole in it (is this what we are seeing?), but I'm not exactly an expert.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
This would require some extensive troubleshooting to diagnose, and even there, I doubt some of the components would have replacements. Not to mention the board is assembled primarily with SMDs (surface mount devices) and only a facility with the skill and technology to work with SMDs would be able to replace anything. The service facility would also need a schematic for this board, which is likely a proprietary Honda design and not available to the public.

Most electronics today are disposable for this reason. It would probably cost more in labor to troubleshoot and replace these parts than to just replace the entire board.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
What Wildcat said +1. While surface mount tech is supposed to be lighter, smaller, and less prone to error, it is still assembled robotically, and, while it may be somewhat less likely to have incidence of cold joints, it is still not immune to vibration damage, and is actually more subject IMO to accuracy errors that can cause cold joints or solder points that are slightly off target that can cause cold joints or thin connections. This is why these kinds of glitches often carry through parts of consecutive production runs and can cause problems with whole runs of these kinds of parts. Interestingly, there are folks out there who repair these. In fact there is a local place here that advertises repair of these Honda cluster boards. Hmmm. I see the ad on Craigslist in the auto parts section at times. Evidently the guy stays pretty busy. He's right up the street from me here in Pflugerville. Here's a link to his ad:

https://austin.craigslist.org/pts/d/austin-honda-cr-instrument-gauge/7023447505.html

I don't know where you are, but you could probably at least call him and ask some questions. He might let you send yours in to him. If you do talk to him and/or do business with him, let us know what you learn. Hope this helps. Also, if there is any way I can help, I would be happy to do so. He lists a phone number, a website, and a price. I don't know if he can do international, but it's worth a shot.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts