Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car November 2020.
This is a new model in Thailand
New things are for example: radar system, lumbar adjustment in driver seat, Memory for driver seat, cordless charging of phones, roof window
A short time after I bought the car I noticed a hardness in driver seat. It is at the back of the seat. Not on the backrest
If you try to feel something hard with your hand, you can't.
If I sit on the passenger seat, I feel no problem.
I have tried to complain to the staff about this, but they can't feel the problem
The reason for this I think is that I weigh 97 kg and staff about 60.
A friend of mine that weighs 90 has also tested and he can feel there is a hardness
When I was into the Honda shop I asked them if they had another car of the same model and they had. They had a car in the workshop. I went over and checked the car, it had the same problem with driver seat, passenger seat, no problem.
In Thailand there was a new CR-V 2017 and had that one too. That model didn't have that problem.
I guessed that other countries in the world have the same seat as in my car.
I have tried to complain to Honda Thailand, but no answer.
I think this problem is a construction problem.
So my question to you are, do you think you have the same seat and do you have he same problem?
As the lumbar regulation is a difference between the chairs, can that be the reason?

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,583 Posts
Could it be the lumbar support? Which is an adjustable seat feature on most CRVs.

Though I have to say.. the current generation CRV lumbar support is weak sauce compared to prior generations.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now it is late November and i still have the problem. Some things have happen and I should tell you.
The hardness of the seat is still there! It is at the back of the seat.
I was to another workshop and talked to the manager. He let 2 of his mechanics sit on my seat. The first one couldn't feel anything, the 2nd one say he could feel a hardness! Very good!
Then he say, we should go to a saddler and see if he can find anything. Manager, driver and me went to the saddler with the seat. Saddler took it apart, it was not easy. I think that there should be something hard under the foam that I should feel. But when I looked at the foam it was rather thick so that can not be the reason. The seat cover is leather. No one could understand the problem. The seat was put together and the problem was still there. After some time the manager called me and say we should change the foam and the cover for the seat. Me and the driver go to the saddler, changed foam and cover. And after that of course the problem still was there, why should it go away when they changed the 2 parts with same parts (no change of part numbers)..
I told the manager after that that the problem still was there. After some time I contacted him again and asked him "have you reported to Honda Thailand that I still have the same problem". He didn't, I asked him, can you that. After some time he called me and asked if could come on Friday 11. Why i said? We should have contact with Honda Thailand. I thought it was a video conference, no they came in a car 4 people. They have been driving 220 km from Bangkok! I was surprised and impressed. What did happen? We sat down first in the conference room, their english was not good. They talked a lot of thai, which I of course didn't understand. They asked me what they should do! What!!! Should I tell them? I told them, this is a construction problem, you have to contact construction dept in Japan about this problem. After the meeting we went out to my car and I told them where I felt the problem. My weight is 97 kg, I had a friend with me and he is 93 kg and he can also feel the problem. After the meeting I am not optimistic that Honda will solve this. Before I had an idea that the double sewing in the back of the seat is the problem. But now I start to think about the foam, is it to hard. Should I try to make a copy of another material? Why is it only me that have reported this problem in Thailand? I understand Thai people normally weigh 60 kg. But are not this seat in all CR-V all over the world? My CR-V 2017 didn't have this problem. Is it possible to put in the foam and the leather cover from that model to my car. Please, help me to solve this problem with the awkward seat!

·
Registered
2018 CRV Touring AWD
260 Posts
This is only my opinion -- maybe I am right, maybe I am wrong. Honda is not going to change the construction of your seat. Engineering has taken place and the seat has been comfortable for thousands of people. As you stated, you seem to be the only one that is having this problem/concern. I think you have limited options: 1. try to adjust the present seat to a position that allows some comfort. 2. get a different vehicle. 3. live with the seat as it is. 4. see if a seat from a 2017 can be placed into your vehicle. There may be other options for you and for that I wish you good luck.

·
Premium Member
2021 CRV EX-L
580 Posts
You've identified the area of the problem, Honda has acknowledged the problem, Honda Thailand has acknowledged the problem and they ask you what you want? If this is endemic to Thailand, tell them you want them to import a complete seat from a country with heavier people or you want them to buy the car back. You mentioned this is not an issue with the passenger seat. Does that seat have the lumbar adjustment?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Well, I am in the USA but I am about your same weight and I have been test driving CR-V's, EX-L models, and I have experienced no issues. In fact, I felt the seats were pretty comfortable. Sounds like you might have a problem unique to you and your body. I would try going to an independent upholstery shop, they can add padding to your liking.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,179 Posts
....be interesting/ed to see any images of the seats...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts