Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I am going to buy a suv for my family, and still so confussed in selection between CR-V and CX5.
Do you have some advises for me? why I should buy CRV? what is better than CX5?

Tks and regards,

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Since this is a Honda CR-V website, you probably won't get a lot of Mazda CX-5 recommendations.

I did a Google search on "honda cr-v vs mazda cx-5" which found lots of sites that did comparisons of the two.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
You will get differing opinions.... some objective, some subjective, some grudge based.

I personally would always take a Honda over a Mazda.. but that's just me and my opinion has no weight in your decision process, so I am not going to detail the specifics as to why I feel this way.

In reality, the best approach in my opinion is to:

1) Write down all the features you personally feel are important or "must haves" first. That forms an objective shopping list of features for you. Checking each manufacturers web sites and reading through features and capabilities can be very helpful in this process. On line comparison reviews can also be helpful in this step.

2) Take the time to go look at them both at reputable dealers who actually want to match you with the car that best matches your needs, and take them for good test drives where you can actually test out all the features.

I would NOT count on dealers telling you completely accurate things about each when you visit and test drive.. so actually investigate yourself during test drives. Not that they are trying to deliberately mislead, more like some sales people are simply more knowledgeable and customer focused then others.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Since this is a Honda CR-V website, you probably won't get a lot of Mazda CX-5 recommendations.

I did a Google search on "honda cr-v vs mazda cx-5" which found lots of sites that did comparisons of the two.
I am looking into opinions of crv-user who has long time to use

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
I am looking into opinions of crv-user who has long time to use
Well.. in this case you will have to separate some wheat from some chaff. Some owners have struggled with abnormal oil dilution for example and are very sour on the current gen5 CRVs. Others have had no issues with abnormal oil dilution at all. Honda has released a TSB update to address this and slow cabin heating.. and again... some owners claim it did not work, or made things worse and others say the fix worked. We have an extensive thread on this in the forum here you can read through if you have time and inclination. By the way.. apparently the CX-5 also has some oil dilution issues as well. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123865030-Oil-dilution Basically... all direct injection engines cause some dilution of oil with fuel, but in most cases a properly working engine purges it and it is considered normal behavior.

There is a single thread here that consolidates known issues and problems related to gen5 CRVs here which will give you a quick view of the current gen CRV from that perspective. I will say that Honda has done a pretty good job on TSBs to address said issues... but for some owners... not in as timely a manner as wanted. https://www.crvownersclub.com/threads/generation-5-crv-known-issues-and-solutions.144649/ I'm sure Mazda enthusiast sites will have something similar.

Personally, my current gen5 CRV is my third CRV in the last 20 years and I like better then my previous two (a gen2 and a gen3). The powertrain is great, the features are great (though there are newer features in the current gen Accord that I wish was also in the CRV.. but the CRV is an older design.. so it's a design/market timing thing). I've been very pleased with the current generation CRV.. but I have no visibility or experience with the CX-5 so I cannot compare them.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Dear all,

I am going to buy a suv for my family, and still so confussed in selection between CR-V and CX5.
Do you have some advises for me? why I should buy CRV? what is better than CX5?

Tks and regards,

I would suggest you do some reading (other than a forum) and homework (reading reviews). Our '09 RAV4 is just the right size/does everything we need so we decided to trade-in our gas guzzling p/u (with a bed floor as shiny as the hood) on a second SUV the same size as our RAV4. We test drove the Forester, CX5, RAV4 and CRV. After the test drives the decision really got tuff. All 4 great rides.

After reading the test/comparison results In Consumer Reports, we decided on the CRV as the CR tests showed the CRV with slightly quicker 0-60 mph and slightly better mpg, vs the other 3. Been extremely happy with our decision 2 years now.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
We chose the CX-5 Signature to replace my wife's 2010 CR-V EX-L. We compared the 2, among many others, and the CX-5 just met our needs better. Everyone is different, so you really need to decide for yourself what's important to you.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Here's a recent comparison by Edmunds of the 2019 CR-V, CX-5 and RAV4.
If interior luxury is important, the CX-5 is the leader. If you want spaciousness and mileage, the CR-V is the winner.

·
Registered
2 Posts
For what it's worth, I just traded in my 2018 CR-V for a 2019 CX-5. The CR-V WAS the perfect vehicle for us until we started having the oil dilution issue, along with other quirky electrical problems. The day before we traded, my wife was driving down the road and the car slammed on the brakes for no apparent reason. It scared the crap out of her. Based on our 14 month experience with the CR-V, I can't recommend any of the 2017 - 2019 models especially if you plan to keep it for a long time. I think Honda USA has a big problem on their hands with the oil dilution situation.

·
Registered
25 Posts
This is certainly subjective, but here goes. I have a '18 CRV EXL. I've had it just over a year now and am just a little over 22K miles. My wife has an '09 VW Tiguan with about 205K miles. We know it has a very limited time left--it's in the shop a lot. We've been looking for her next car. The Mazda CX5 is one of the SUVs she's interested in and we've looked at. By the way, my wife likes the CRV, but doesn't want to be a two CRV family. I think it would be cool. She doesn't.

Looks
In my opinion, the CX5 has a much more sleek, sporty and refined look inside and out. I really like the look. It also sits higher than the CRV. I'm tall and find it easier to get in and out of than the CRV. Rear seat room seems less than the CRV, so consider that if you have older kids. We didn't like the infotainment system on the CX5 as much as we like the CRV. Honestly, both suck, but the CX5 sucks more as you have to use a stupid dial to navigate when in motion. Thankfully, both offer CarPlay/Android Auto to make up for their poor UI design.

Performance
The VW Tiguan is tuned to be very sporty. It has amazing torque and acceleration. You press the gas, it goes, quickly. No turbo lag, even at 205K miles. My wife absolutely insists her next car be similar. This is the bar we're working with on performance.

We first test drove the CX5 Touring. However, we found the acceleration laggy. Its acceleration was slow, even slower than the CRV, and lacked the smoothness that my wife was accustom to with the Tiguan. This was disappointing for its price--31K--about same as CRV Touring. We learned you have to step up to the Grand Touring Reserve to get a turbo charger. On paper, this looks good, but there is also still a turbo lag. Its worse than the CRV and much worse than the Tiguan. We were also disappointed that the price jumps to about 35K.

Fuel Economy
I'm averaging about 32 MPG. I love this. My Honda Pilot averaged 20 MPG. My wife's Tiguan doesn't do much better. Depending on the trim level and going by specs, it looks like the Mazda gets 1-3 MPG less.

Reliability
We've had several Honda vehicles over the years. My most recent was our '06 Honda Pilot with 270K miles when we traded it in. It was spot on reliable. Just routine maintenance and never stranded (can't say that for our VW Tiguan). We have an '08 Acura TSX. It too is rock solid and the data absolutely supports this. I wanted another Honda after such great experiences, but didn't want to pay over 40K for another Pilot with same features. Went with the CRV instead based on its reliable past.

Understand there are concerns over the oil dilution issues with the CRV, but I'm willing to take a chance based on my experience with Hondas and the reliability data on the CRV. The Mazda CX5 seems to have similar reliability. A peek at Consumer Reports shows a similar reliability trend for the two vehicles, but I can't link those because they're behind the subscription wall. These historical trends don't necessarily mean this generation will be as reliable, but I give Honda's engineers more credit than many, I guess. My dealer included a lifetime power train warranty at time of sale--long before Honda sent out letters about an extension on this to six years.

If you're looking for high value for the price, I think the CRV is better. If sleek, sporty styling is really important, I think the CX5 is better. If performance and fuel economy is important, I think the CRV has the slight edge, even against the Grand Touring Reserve. Both appear to be about equal on reliability from a historical perspective.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever vehicle you choose.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I've said it before, I'll say it again; Honda is NOT the only quality car to consider. While you've added the Mazda there are still others to consider.

I was extremely pleased with my prior Hyundai Sante Fe (another Consumer Reports recommended vehicle).

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
... We learned you have to step up to the Grand Touring Reserve to get a turbo charger. On paper, this looks good, but there is also still a turbo lag. Its worse than the CRV and much worse than the Tiguan.
If you felt turbo lag in the CX-5 with the 2.5T, something was wrong with it. Seriously, try another one! There has not been a single legitimate review that mentions that. We've had our Sig for 7 months and have never experienced it. Now, if space is a concern, I could see the CX-5 not making the cut.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Check out the NHTSA website for these two vehicles.

2017 CR-V: 748 complaints, 3 recalls, 0 investigations
2017 CX-5: 30 complaints, 1 recall, 0 investigations

2018 CR-V: 513 complaints, 1 recall, 0 investigations
2018 CX-5: 33 complaints, 2 recalls, 0 investigations

2019 CR-V: 78 complaints, 2 recalls, 0 investigations
2019 CX-5: 2 complaints, 1 recall, 0 investigations

·
Registered
12 Posts
We purchased a motorhome.
I was really disappointed that we could not flat tow my 2013 Mazda 3 hatchback.

The CRV is flat towable up through the 2014 model. And I have owned lots of Hondas (nine) going back to the 60s.

In June we purchased a 2014 CRV EX. 25,500 miles. And it was already set up for flat towing. We didn't even bother to drive it before buying it. After all, it is a Honda, it is the best choice for flat towing for our requirements, and we love our 2017 Honda Ridgeline.

To my surprise the 2014 CRV feels like such a chinzy driving vehicle compared to my Mazda 3.

In fact, I joined the group specifically to see if people knew of a fix for the numb steering feel in the CRV.

So, I highly recommend going with the Mazda 5 over the CRV. If the Mazda 5 had been flat towable I definitely would have gone that way.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
I'd check out the Subaru line also. I'm liking the Ascent, except for the asking price. (I would have to wait 4-5 years since I don't buy new vehicles anymore.) But the Outback and Forester are similar to the CR-V.

Or I'd check out the 2nd generation Acura RDX, maybe a certified pre-owned that is only a couple of years old. I don't trust the turbo engine so I personally would avoid the new 3rd generation RDX. But the resale value on the RDX isn't as good as the CR-V, so that is good news for used car buyers. It also has a V6, not an anemic 4-cylinder.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts

Or I'd check out the 2nd generation Acura RDX, maybe a certified pre-owned that is only a couple of years old. I don't trust the turbo engine so I personally would avoid the new 3rd generation RDX. But the resale value on the RDX isn't as good as the CR-V, so that is good news for used car buyers. It also has a V6, not an anemic 4-cylinder.
The 2.0l turbo in the RDX is anything, but "anemic". :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
The 2.0l turbo in the RDX is anything, but "anemic". :ROFLMAO:
The old adage still rings true with me--there's no replacement for displacement. ? I've owned a turbo in the past and had fun, but it's still no replacement for a V6 or V8, especially in a "truck." When towing or hauling (either/or may be in my future), a larger engine will handle it easier. Remember that a turbo in boost mode is putting a lot of strain on internal moving engine parts, and creating a lot of heat due to the turbo spooling up so fast.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts