Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I had the opportunity to do an acceleration run in my CR-V from 0-60 with my foot to the floor. I live in a congested suburban area and such an opportunity rarely presents itself, so I figured why not. I wanted to see what would happen. I put my foot to the floor from a stop in D and I noticed this... the RPMs shot up and held until I let off the throttle. I thought that the CVT was supposed simulate gears when floored, but instead it held at redline. Does this mean there is something wrong with my CR-V? Has anyone else ever floored it and gotten the same result? If it just holds when you floor it, then when does it simulate shifting? (I've seen Youtube videos of CR-V's simulating shifting, and it's been shown in reviews.)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yes mine does the same at maximum pedal press. It has to hold at the highest rpm to give us maximum acceleration. During regular use it does simulate a regular automatic tranny. I don’t believe anything is wrong with your CRV.

Is not it scary the first time you floor it like that? I had not anticipated how quick and fast the CRV can go when floored.

·
Registered
415 Posts
When we went on a 1,500.00 mile trip towards the mountains, I occasionally would hit the accelerator to pass slow pokes, what I noticed is that when you punch it, it does accelerate but at the very top of acceleration, I would ease off for just half an inch and the torque just kicks in and launches me even faster, so what I did was after punching the accelerator, I would ease off a little and punch it again, the CRV just goes at max throttle.
I have not tried the jackrabbit acceleration. I provably will not since I don't want to hurt anything.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I wouldn't say my CVT simulates shifting and I consider that a good thing. I've come to enjoy the seamless application of torque mine provides. Automatics can get momentarily "caught" between shift points and my CVT never seems to get fooled- it always feels right on the money. A lot of people have complained about CVT's but the newer gen ones seem to have closed the gap on even the best automatics. Given that they are as fuel efficient as a manual or DCT, I'd never choose to switch back to a regular automatic.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
I don't think a continuously variable transmission will ever simulate any kind of (traditional) shifting. It's ratios are infinite, not a finite X number (of shifts).

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
I don't think a continuously variable transmission will ever simulate any kind of (traditional) shifting. It's ratios are infinite, not a finite X number (of shifts).

Many recent CVT designs DO simulate 'shifts'. Honda's, Subarus...even the latest Nissan ones. (Nissan CVTs were often criticized for allowing engine droning...)

·
Registered
415 Posts
I don't get why people wants CVT's to simulate shifting. When there is only regular transmissions, people compare which trans is smoother, now that CVT's are here people are complaining there is no shifting.... really weird

Personally, I love it. I really don't care if it is in the first, second, or 100th gear. As long as it is moving at maximum torque.

·
Everything in Moderation
2006 CR-V EX, 5MT
10,777 Posts
Part of the dissatisfaction with early CVTs was because of their use in 'underpowered' cars. At first, CVTs couldn't handle a lot of torque.

Anyway, the low engine power required a lot of high-rev droning to keep up with traffic. Many owners objected to the noise. Perception = COARSE.

Now, automakers can use lower RPMs because the engines are more powerful and modern CVTs can 'take it'. And, folks seem to want to be able to feel the shifts.

Perhaps some day, more owners will be like BBLee.

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Many recent CVT designs DO simulate 'shifts'. Honda's, Subarus...even the latest Nissan ones. (Nissan CVTs were often criticized for allowing engine droning...)
Then I stand corrected. The Forester and RAV4 we test drove were very similar to the CRV CVT....smooth as silk, held rpms amazingly steady.:thumb:

·
Registered
'18 CR-V Ex-L AWD & '13 CR-V Ex-L AWD
1,636 Posts
I love the smooth even acceleration of the CVT. I never want to go back to to conventional trannys.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I love the smooth even acceleration of the CVT. I never want to go back to to conventional trannys.
Agreed, it's my first CVT and I'm liking it over conventional. Otherwise, all my main vehicles have ever been manual.

·
Registered
7 Posts
“Alex on Autos” just did a you tube on a Nissan Pathfinder. One of the things he pointed out was that if you floor it off the line from a dead stop, it will accelerate without simulating shifting. On the other hand if you are traveling at any speed and floor it, the CVT will add “simulated” shift points which in actuality slows the car a wee bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Birch,
If the transmission is in Sport mode it will not simulate shifts. In Normal or Low, it will simulate shifts at full throttle. Didn't anybody else know that?

·
Registered
24 Posts
My only complaint about the CRV transmission is that it feels very slow, when I first step on the accelerator. After the first second, things change radically for the good, as the turbo kicks in. I'll be honest, I haven't played with Sport mode. Does that help with initial acceleration?

·
Registered
3,174 Posts
Try it, you'll like it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
My only complaint about the CRV transmission is that it feels very slow, when I first step on the accelerator. After the first second, things change radically for the good, as the turbo kicks in. I'll be honest, I haven't played with Sport mode. Does that help with initial acceleration?
Exactly, it is pretty scary when you are trying to pull out and merge with fast-ish traffic and there is no torque there and you are waiting for that turbo to kick in... one big reason I will probably be getting a tuner chip / mod etc. if I keep this vehicle.

Sport mode just seems to make it run at higher RPMs, watch your RPMS with it in Sport mode and you'll see this. So it has more power when you need it but I don't think it helps with torque / acceleration off the line... that's my experience anyway. :\

1 - 17 of 17 Posts