Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
My car always locks when walk away from it. Couldn’t find the keys (remote) today so went to check in car, the doors were open but I can’t find the key. Tried to start car, says I need to have remote closer to ignition. Any ideas? Already have tried google :)

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,234 Posts
Do you not have a spare key, or have you lost/misplaced both??

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
414 Posts
Hi!
My car always locks when walk away from it. Couldn’t find the keys (remote) today so went to check in car, the doors were open but I can’t find the key. Tried to start car, says I need to have remote closer to ignition. Any ideas? Already have tried google :)
My gen 5 UK car can't be set to 'walk away auto lock' and I'm sure there's a previous post by a US forum member bemoaning this fact. Is it possible you forgot to lock it and the keys are somewhere else.

·
Super Moderator
2017 CRV Touring - Pearl White w Black Interior
7,634 Posts
Hi!
Check the cargo area and back seats... perhaps you dropped them without realizing it. The fact that the vehicle would not autolock indicates the key is still inside the vehicle somewhere. This would be supported by the vehicle saying the key needs to be closer to the ignition, rather than "key missing" or similar notice you get when you climb in without your keys and try to start the vehicle.

Generally.. if the keyfob is within 3-4 feet of the start button.. the vehicle will start. Beyond that.. it will likely give you a key too far or key missing notice on the instrument display.

My wife's 2018 Accord is actually smart enough to know when her keys are in the trunk.. because she left them in her purse and put said purse in the trunk. It won't lock using the manual button on the handle (ie: knows the key is still in the vehicle somewhere), and it won't start either and says the key is too far from the start button). :) I imagine the gen5 CRV behaves in a similar manner.

·
Registered
2019 CR-V Hybrid SR Crystal Red Metallic
414 Posts
My gen 5 UK car can't be set to 'walk away auto lock' and I'm sure there's a previous post by a US forum member bemoaning this fact. Is it possible you forgot to lock it and the keys are somewhere else.
Ignore my ramblings, just found the post I referenced and it was a UK CRV owner. We don't have auto lock feature for some reason.

·
The. Admin. Istrator.
8,234 Posts
Ignore my ramblings, just found the post I referenced and it was a UK CRV owner. We don't have auto lock feature for some reason.
I'll double check, but I am pretty sure that UK CR-Vs do indeed have the walk away feature. It was on my 4th Gen CR-Vs (x4!) and on my last 2019 Civic too.

I'll check and PM you separately (y)

Reactions: Charlie1960

·
Premium Member
6,154 Posts
This will be all "You". Only advice we can offer is start looking, let us know if they fell under or in and near the rails of the seat.

·
Registered
116 Posts
2017 CRV EX-L Turbo. Best that you keep looking & find the key fob. There seem to be conflicting issues. 1. If the FOB is in the vehicle, even if it is not in your pocket, you should be able to start the vehicle with the normal procedure. 2. If the vehicle has been set to Walk-away lock & the setting has not been changed then the doors should lock automatically UNLESS the FOB is inside the vehicle. Beside or under the seat would be the most likely location to lose a FOB inside the vehicle. Get a flashlight since it would be easy to overlook. Look down beside the seat as well as from the rear since a full view from the rear can be blocked by the seat belt anchor.

There is always the possibility that the key FOB battery has run down, in which case the signal from inside the vehicle might not be strong enough to start the vehicle even if the FOB is inside the vehicle; however, the manual says that the vehicle is supposed to alert you when the FOB battery gets low so do you remember a low FOB battery signal?

My FOB battery has never gotten low enough to trigger that automatic signal so I don't know how the signal is relayed. I have replaced the FOB battery for an issue that turned out Not to be truly FOB related. The replacement FOB battery was a standard Walmart battery & it is over 2 years old & still working well.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts