Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone replaced the factory installed "beep beep" horn with something more substantial? Also, I can't even locate the horn. I'm looking by the grill but can't see anything that resembles a horn.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
I can see them both plain as day thru the grille. They are located under the large plastic cover at the front......under the hood.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Unless you know the decibel output of the stock horns, I seriously doubt the horn in that link will be louder than stock. Stock is pretty loud. You may also need to run a relay with an aftermarket horn to prevent fuse popping. I'm guessing you want as loud or louder than stock, in addition to changing the tone from beep beep.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Has anyone replaced the factory installed "beep beep" horn with something more substantial? Also, I can't even locate the horn. I'm looking by the grill but can't see anything that resembles a horn.

I installed Stebel Hi & Low horns with the college hills harnesses while i had the bumper off.
SUPER LOUD & definitely will get noticed when on the road, has saved us a few times. The road runner horns are the worst.

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Some folks need a 2X4 square between the eyes to notify them they are in the wrong......a really loud horn blown at them would be next best, I guess.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Some folks need a 2X4 square between the eyes to notify them they are in the wrong......a really loud horn blown at them would be next best, I guess.
Have you ever pressed the horn in rage at someone and then realized it was a friend or coworker or neighbor? LOL it happened to me once, my wife almost choked with laughter when she looked at my face and realized what I had done. In this case it was a neighbor 2 houses down :Notagain:

Rob

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
We all need to pay attention........even friends, coworkers and neighbors.

Tragic story.....here, this past Monday, 4 people killed by 2 17 year old street racers driving factory hot rods.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Have you ever pressed the horn in rage at someone and then realized it was a friend or coworker or neighbor? LOL it happened to me once, my wife almost choked with laughter when she looked at my face and realized what I had done. In this case it was a neighbor 2 houses down :Notagain:

Rob
Did yall ever talk about it or just act like nothing happened lol?

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Did yall ever talk about it or just act like nothing happened lol?
I acted like nothing ever happened, I was just too embarrassed to go over and say anything. The worst part was the we both pulled up at our houses at the same time and he just gave me the Evil Eye as he got out of his car. That just made my wife's day.
I will tell you this, I am now very cautious about hitting the horn the closer I get to home.

Rob

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
I acted like nothing ever happened, I was just too embarrassed to go over and say anything. The worst part was the we both pulled up at our houses at the same time and he just gave me the Evil Eye as he got out of his car. That just made my wife's day.
I will tell you this, I am now very cautious about hitting the horn the closer I get to home.
He's your neighbor, go talk it out. Bring a 6 pack with you. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts

I installed Stebel Hi & Low horns with the college hills harnesses while i had the bumper off.
SUPER LOUD & definitely will get noticed when on the road, has saved us a few times. The road runner horns are the worst.
I also installed the Stebel Magnum High and Low horns eith the College Hills Honda harness. It’s a significant upgrade. Not only does the tone sound much better but they are a lot louder than stock. Question for you. Did you install that red relay that came with the horns? I did not. Was concerned I’d have issues without it but so far everything has been fine.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I also installed the Stebel Magnum High and Low horns eith the College Hills Honda harness. It’s a significant upgrade. Not only does the tone sound much better but they are a lot louder than stock. Question for you. Did you install that red relay that came with the horns? I did not. Was concerned I’d have issues without it but so far everything has been fine.
Also, for anyone looking to do this, you do not have to take off the hood. Just have to take off the cover piece directly above the front bumper when you pop open the hood. The Stebel horns are larger but you can get them to fit with a little creativity.
Open

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
He's your neighbor, go talk it out. Bring a 6 pack with you. :)
Yeah we have talked since then several times. He really deserved the loud honk so I was not about to apologize. So we both let some time pass and eventually it just became water under the bridge.

Rob

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Be careful about pressing the horn too long. You will most likely blow the fuse.

Rob

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought and installed the full College Hills kit with the PIAA horns - install was easy as pie with the harnesses, though I did not attempt to undo the horn brackets and rotate the horns, just mounted them so they pointed mostly sideways without undoing the bracket. Worried about damaging the horns otherwise. Absolutely worth the upgrade.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Be careful about pressing the horn too long. You will most likely blow the fuse.

Rob
I held the horn for 10 seconds when I first tested it out, which is much longer than anyone would typically use it for, and it was fine. Granted, the fuse could wear out more quickly over time. Do you know what the solution could be? Maybe use some sort of in-line relay of the same strength as the one shipped with the horn set wired into the fuse slot for the horn?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.