Honda CR-V Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are getting kicked hard this winter with SNOW. Roughly 30" on the ground. This is my first Honda CR-V. I bought a used "07" in November. So far, I am glad to have it. Here is a snow picture.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
Cool!

Cool photo! How does the V go in the snow? Do you have snow tires or just the OEMs?

Oh woe is me, all the fun is being had else where! I bought a 4WD V and put snow tires on it and haven't had any snow since. I am considering buying a very expensive snow blower or a tractor with a snow plow to keep my luck going. May you keep all the snow!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very cool photo... We bought our V for the snow in PA.... it worked very well there.... moved to NC 6 months later... The only thing I miss about the north is driving in the snow :D

·
Registered
94 Posts
Cool photo! How does the V go in the snow? Do you have snow tires or just the OEMs?

Oh woe is me, all the fun is being had else where! I bought a 4WD V and put snow tires on it and haven't had any snow since. I am consider buying a very expensive snow blower or a tractor with a snow plow to keep my luck going. May you keep all the snow!
I'm also in Eastern Washington and I'll comfortably say the OEM Duellers were TERRIBLE in real snow. They're now off my '08 EX-L and are sitting in the corner of garage while the V snowshoes around on a set of Hankook IceBears (not incredible, but a noticeable improvement). In the spring I'm seriously considering the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. Anyone with thoughts on these?

Your snowblower thought is amusing. I was out pricing snowblowers a week before the snows began here. I decided it could wait until the first of the year. Rumor is now we won't have any more until next fall! If I'd bought one, it wouldn't have snowed an inch of course. :rolleyes:

I gotta get a couple of photos of mine. The berms on the street here are higher than the V!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
It is a mixed blessing

Washington State can have all the snow. I went out and played in it once in December. That is enough even though the V behaved very well with Contact 4x4 All-Seasons. It was a blast! It was right before the plows came out so it was not deep, about 4 fresh inches. Still the traction on hills and around corners was nice! Enough so I feel confident my wive will not have any problems as is for now. It only had 1800 miles.

The problem with no snow is we get ice instead. Last ice storm some had no power for about three weeks. I only lost it for 20 LONNNG hours :)

Since then it has been 6-12 inches a couple times a week. Except for one week.

And no I'm not buying a snowblower. My neighbor got a new top of the line big TORO and is doing it for us. It does not work that way BP, you have to spend your own money. :)

Though when I bought my Toro 20 years ago it did not snow the first year. Then the next year we got clobbered. So watch out next year BP. You will get snowed in. Book a long vacation next year January-February! :D You will need it.

-RG

·
Registered
87 Posts
... In the spring I'm seriously considering the Goodyear Fortera TripleTred...
I just bought these a few days ago from Sam's Club, even cheaper then tirerack! I had been using the OEMs and didn't even like them in the rain, then when it snowed (I live in New Hampshire) I thought I was going to have to trade my car in it handled so poorly.

So for with the tripletreds on dry it's super. Before when I would hit 80 my crv didn't feel stable, now it's too easy to hit 80! On wet it's been solid and we get our first big snow with my new tires so I'll report back how my drive in to work is!

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
For winter only 265/70/17 tires Consumer Report rated the Michelin Latitude X-Ice and Bridgestone Blizzak number 1 and 2. The Goodyear Fortera TripleTred was not rate???

Michelin at this time makes no aftermarket 225/65/17 for '07 and up CR-Vs :( Unfortunately no tires in any model what-so-ever in that size!

-RG

·
Registered
87 Posts
So I drove to work today on ice and snow with my new Goodyear Fortera TripleTred. These are all season light truck/suv tires not winter tires. That being said they held on very well. I drove 20 miles highway and 10 miles back roads so I got a got a good feel. MUCH better then the OEM. I suspect full winter tires are even better but I just wanted the best gripping all seasons I could get, I'm very satisfied with them.

Here they are on tirerack ranking:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...dth=225/&ratio=65&diameter=17&tireSearch=true

There is also the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, but my understanding is that is more for a car. Probably smoother/quieter ride, but I want traction. Here is that tire:
http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

You can tell from just looking at them that the Fortera is more 'aggressive' tred.

http://www.goodyeartires.com/goodye...eadwidth=&aspectratio=&rimdiameter=&sidewall=

I'm very glad with my purchase and I'll probably get them again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another snow picture of my "V"

Here is another picture of the "V" in the snow. For the person who asked, I am running new snow tires all the way around. I bought four Honda Alloy rims from the local tire shop that some other Honda owner traded in. The tires are "Toyo Open Country GO-2" They seem to be great but hey, they are new and I am new to the "V'. I am impressed though. I have been running to Spokane several times on bad roads. I stopped for a pit stop at convienence store and nearly fell down on the ice. I had no idea it was that slick. I could hardly navigate the parking lot. Really

I didn't buy the TPMS sensors for the take off rims. I will put up with the TPMS dash light indicator. I think TPMS is a bad deal all the way around.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.